Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #2741
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
This probably isn't the place but I'm not starting a new thread for a potentially stupid question. I've noticed for the last few weeks that Nenshi's left eye has been really swollen. To the point that it looks to be only partially open.

I know he had some eye surgery a few years back. Is this related to that?
I talked to him a few weeks ago and he had just had eye surgery.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #2742
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

cybernetic implant

+1 Sassyness.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #2743
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slightly more on topic, although not really, I enjoyed the first episode of the podcast. I like that it's not partisan and critiquing the parties or things like that directly, but is more of an experts view of what could/should be done and why.

I would have been interested in a few of his comments on why government stimulus isn't as effective or why we shouldn't bid on the Olympics. It's not that I can't take an educated guess on his thoughts on these topics, but it would have been interesting to hear him flesh those ideas out a little. That said, you likely don't want a 2 hour podcast, so I can definitely see why you have to let some topics go without further comments!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #2744
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Slightly more on topic, although not really, I enjoyed the first episode of the podcast. I like that it's not partisan and critiquing the parties or things like that directly, but is more of an experts view of what could/should be done and why.

I would have been interested in a few of his comments on why government stimulus isn't as effective or why we shouldn't bid on the Olympics. It's not that I can't take an educated guess on his thoughts on these topics, but it would have been interesting to hear him flesh those ideas out a little. That said, you likely don't want a 2 hour podcast, so I can definitely see why you have to let some topics go without further comments!
Thanks. Yeah, I would have loved to have let him expound on the games. We were in a room at the TFDL at the U of C and were just out of time, sadly.

Aside from some normal time constraints of the guest's schedule and so forth, I am happy to have as long of a conversation as is interesting. I've heard some constructive feedback on the show and my hosting - so hope to just keep trying to make it better.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #2745
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I would have loved to have let him expound on the games. We were in a room at the TFDL at the U of C and were just out of time, sadly.

Aside from some normal time constraints of the guest's schedule and so forth, I am happy to have as long of a conversation as is interesting. I've heard some constructive feedback on the show and my hosting - so hope to just keep trying to make it better.
I can't offer any constructive feedback. I like it and have subscribed and will likely continue enjoying it because I like those kinds of podcasts, and frankly I'm a nerd. It's not going to be everyones cup of tea, but that's likely due to the subject matter and it's not on you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #2746
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I listened to the whole damn thing and not a single mention of the weeds on boulevards! F**cking Nenshi!!
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #2747
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really enjoyed the podcast. You asked good questions to a good guest and let him give good answers. Perfect. I learned something valuable. It's actually hard to believe that this is your first episode - it's so well done.

My only piece of constructive criticism is that I prefer podcasts with a bit more editing/production. I know that many people like these conversational style podcasts but I prefer more production. It's not a big deal, just my own preference.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #2748
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Duplicate

Last edited by wireframe; 09-11-2018 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Double Post
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #2749
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since we don't really have a municipal politics thread (except for ~6 months before and after an election), I'll drop this here because Bunk encouraged me to get involved in Gondek's campaign when she first ran last year.

Solid mayor material, 100%.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1045359263323832320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #2750
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read her twitter and the Herald editorial; but have no idea wtf is the issue or what is going on.

Is this an argument about a municipal issue or just a further argument in support of #MeToo?

Never heard of the lady, and seems like a silly threat to make - "you can't interview me and give me more publicity until you give me more publicity".
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #2751
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I read her twitter and the Herald editorial; but have no idea wtf is the issue or what is going on.

Is this an argument about a municipal issue or just a further argument in support of #MeToo?

Never heard of the lady, and seems like a silly threat to make - "you can't interview me and give me more publicity until you give me more publicity".
She expanded her thoughts here on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/JyotiGondek...EHQ&__tn__=K-R
Old 09-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #2752
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post

The editorial is a milquetoast apology to an editorial they ran yesterday that literally had a headline saying teenage rapists shouldn't be held accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #2753
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I usually don't chime in on the politics threads on CP since its a LOT of arguing and a lot of hate being spewed on both sides of any debate. I am very political myself and love a good debate but I don't debate a lot online since I don't know any of you. In a social setting, it would be different.

I read the Herald OPINION piece, the opinion is a keyword here cause the object is to provoke debate and thought. This wasn't a NEWS headline. Some of the piece was not exactly accurate and some of it had some serious truth to it and the questions needed to be ask.

1) If our PM believes every person who is a victim of sexual assault or abuse is to be believed, why hasn't he stepped down, even temporarily in order for a full investigation to occur for allegations against him? Seems like he demands that of others but not himself? His sexual assault allegations have gone NOWHERE even though there is concrete proof of his whereabouts at the time and the accuser came out the next day? Not much information on this from anybody which is very interesting

2) I don't know what happened with the Judge and with the Dr. in this case but there is some interesting information on both sides. I didn't watch the testimony in full but its possible that both parties are 100% correct but with differences of opinion.

3) I think what the Herald piece was also trying to show was some of the debate around the #metoo movement. Just the other day one of the debates I heard from a few people both in person and on tv was the "guilty by association" argument. The Judge was in fact at parties where drugs and alcohol were present in high school and college and some of the people at those parties, behaved poorly. We can't have him on the court as a result of his INACTION.

If we adapt that standard above, which is a standard that some people are suggesting (ie: opinons) to other workplaces, how do we move on in the world? Actually? Say that standard is adopted for corporate Canada, than what?

Would we block the hiring of a female to become a CEO at a Canadian bank, a first I might add, because she might have smoked illegal pot in 1985 and been at a party where alcohol and drugs were present when she was underage? What if something bad happened at the party? Can we trust her lack of judgment to not report anything to the proper authorities? Does this poor judgement put our financial security at risk in Canada while CEO? Perhaps we dismiss her and just move onto a cleaner candidate.

It's definitely a wild time out there for the news cycle, that's for sure.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #2754
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Double post:

Last edited by curves2000; 09-27-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Double post: Sorry1
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #2755
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

All the new enclosed bus sheltered that were built recently.....wtf were only 3 seats put in each shelter. What a joke and waste of money.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #2756
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
All the new enclosed bus sheltered that were built recently.....wtf were only 3 seats put in each shelter. What a joke and waste of money.
It’s supposed to be space for people to stand to wait for a bus - if you fill with benches and chairs (especially since they’re heated), it becomes a hotel. One or two seats is plenty.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #2757
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Care to clarify? Would have thought that is pretty reasonable. More seats would be more money too, so... Don't get it.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #2758
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
It’s supposed to be space for people to stand to wait for a bus - if you fill with benches and chairs (especially since they’re heated), it becomes a hotel. One or two seats is plenty.
Hmm...I've stayed in worse.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #2759
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Care to clarify? Would have thought that is pretty reasonable. More seats would be more money too, so... Don't get it.

The seats are literally steel and if put across could house 9 to 12 seats. The money cost for seats is the cheap part.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #2760
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
These are built on major transit routes. 1-2 seats when i drive past and seeing 10+ people waiting is a joke.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple