Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2024, 05:41 PM   #2121
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Just had a brief conversation with a coworker about this story, he got worked up immediately and stated emphatically that it's 100% on the owners. It's not the dog, it's the owners. Zero acknowledgement that these specific dogs are dangerous as hell and maybe they should control, limit or flat out stop breeding them.

That's why it's hard to get stuff done, people are unreasonable.
That's fine. Stop breeding pit bull owners then. Problem solved.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:45 PM   #2122
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's fine. Stop breeding pit bull owners then. Problem solved.
Affliction, Ed Hardy, True Religion, Neck Tattooists, Ram Trucks, Oakleys white product division, Juicy sweatpant factory, The Vape industry and The Olive Garden would all go out of business.... the economic fallout would be catastrophic.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 07:42 PM   #2123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Affliction, Ed Hardy, True Religion, Neck Tattooists, Ram Trucks, Oakleys white product division, Juicy sweatpant factory, The Vape industry and The Olive Garden would all go out of business.... the economic fallout would be catastrophic.
I'm prepared to make those sacrifices.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:56 PM   #2124
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Somewhere out there, Connor McDavid shed a single solitary tear
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:51 AM   #2125
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those two ####bulls killed a war refugee grandma's Pomeranian. Great work Auburn Bay trash.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/i-found-m...oken-1.6788174
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 08:53 AM   #2126
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's even worse than if they killed a orphaned amputee with a cleft palate's Schnauzer.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:02 AM   #2127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could someone explain why we haven't banned these yet? Seems like a no-brainer. Absolutely zero negative consequences, and only positives. So what's the holdup? Is there some sort of Pit Bull owners lobby group with tremendous power? baffling.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:12 AM   #2128
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

These attacks were literal blocks from my house. My kids walk our dog. Scary to think about.

I'm on the ban pitbulls train for sure.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:44 AM   #2129
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope these effers get their asses sued!

when liveleak was a thing they had a ton of pitbull attack videos. they WILL NOT let go!
Old 02-29-2024, 11:47 AM   #2130
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Could someone explain why we haven't banned these yet? Seems like a no-brainer. Absolutely zero negative consequences, and only positives. So what's the holdup? Is there some sort of Pit Bull owners lobby group with tremendous power? baffling.
Yes. Large lobby groups.

They've managed to infiltrate major professional bodies:

https://www.avma.org/resources/pet-o...ion-not-answer

It's absolutely baffling that a group made up of educated people could come to these conclusions:

Quote:
The issue of dangerous dogs, dog bites and public safety is a complex one. Any dog can bite, regardless of its breed. It is the dog's individual history, behavior, general size, number of dogs involved, and the vulnerability of the person bitten that determines the likelihood of biting and whether a dog will cause a serious bite injury. Breed-specific bans are a simplistic answer to a far more complex social problem, and they have the potential to divert attention and resources from more effective approaches.
Yes....any dog can bite. Hence, why we should breed for pet dogs with lower bite force.

Quote:
Breed-specific legislation is discriminatory against responsible owners and their dogs.
No it's not discrimination. The type of dog you have is not an inherent characteristic of who you are as a person. We aren't talking about race, religion, sexual identity....we are talking about not letting people own something that is an inherent danger to the public. No different than bans on certain weapons. We aren't talking about stopping responsible dog owners from owning dogs, just inherently dangerous dogs.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #2131
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Add UFC fans to this
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #2132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

K...well I'm all out of ideas then. I guess we will just have to ban all dogs from the city so we don't discriminate. It's what the AVMA recommends, since any dog can bite.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:03 PM   #2133
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It's funny because it's true. When I lived on Commercial Drive in Vancouver, it was always the same kind of owner. Guys in their 30s and 40s dressed like they played in mid 2000s rock band and fought MMA part-time. Actually never did either of those things. The modern day equivalent of some cross between the urban cowboy and the 80s mullet guys.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:30 PM   #2134
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Those two ####bulls killed a war refugee
Ugh, that's awful. Escaping war only to meet such a fate.

Quote:
Those two ####bulls killed a war refugee grandma
Oh man, this just gets worse! That poor old little woman!

Quote:
Those two ####bulls killed a war refugee grandma's Pomeranian.
Oh. That's a shame...but I mean, they are kind of yappy.

What a ride that sentence was.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 12:31 PM   #2135
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
These attacks were literal blocks from my house. My kids walk our dog. Scary to think about.

I'm on the ban pitbulls train for sure.
hello neighbour

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:33 AM   #2136
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard of another incident a few days ago involving 2 pitbulls attacking another dog and owner. Didn't hit the news but scary stuff as these are happening all over the place it seems.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #2137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its really weird, because the 'bred-in aggression' case can be made for a bunch of other breeds as well. Dobermans, German Shepherds, etc.

Again...I am not a dog expert. My dog is 25 pounds of fluff and love who loves to knock down children...which I happen to find hilarious. Because he just wants to be friendly and doesnt understand 'inertia.'

Anyhow...my neighbour growing up was a K9 Cop, and he'd bring his dog home with him. It was a German Shepherd and my neighbour had to learn to speak Czech because thats where the dog was trained and that was the language in which it understood commands.

He had a 7-foot fence around his backyard. It was like a Prison Compound. I was working at Greyhound at the time and coming home at like 2-3am and several times I found the dog in the middle of the street.

Not doing anything. Just sitting there. Like..."Yeah. I'm a Police Dog. I can jump this fence. What are you going to do about it?"

So I park, go ring his doorbell...I DO NOT approach the dog. Because Cop dogs are terrifying and I cannot command the dog.

He comes out...gets the dog, scene over.

But the thing is. That dog was 100% free. Away from its Master. And it did nothing. Didn't attack me. Nothing. Just sat there waiting for a command. I'm sure it could be insanely aggressive without its master around....but its not. Just chilling. Time to go inside? Okay.

So thats again shaped my opinion. I've seen well-trained dogs and German Shepherds are not inherently aggressive, whereas I've found Pitbulls, once loose? All bets are off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:36 AM   #2138
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I used to take my lab to the dog walk, the first thing I did was scout the area for pitbulls, and if I saw one I would purposely avoid the area he was in.

I had an incident where a pitbull jumped on my 90 lb unneutered lab, and fortunately my dog didn't react, just kept motionless until it realized there wasn't any point in starting a fight. As the owner walked past me he said that his dog has issues with unneutered dogs. Judging by his haughty pumped up mannerism, I figured there was no point in saying anything to him.

Some people carry a "break stick" which can be inserted between the back molars of a pitbull's teeth and rotated to pry open the mouth of a pitbull that has clamped down on another dog.

I think, at a minimum, all pitbulls should be muzzled when in public.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:41 AM   #2139
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had no idea until today, but someone I know here in Calgary had their dog killed by a pitbull right in front of them a few years ago. 3 people tried to remove the pitbull, even hitting it on the head with rocks, only after choking the pitbull almost to unconsciousness did it loosen grip.

The dog that was attacked died at the vet.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 AM   #2140
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I had no idea until today, but someone I know here in Calgary had their dog killed by a pitbull right in front of them a few years ago. 3 people tried to remove the pitbull, even hitting it on the head with rocks, only after choking the pitbull almost to unconsciousness did it loosen grip.

The dog that was attacked died at the vet.
Yeah, like I said a few pages back, even as no expert I know that once those jaws lock...its game over.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking