Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Door to door sales....enough already.

Is anyone else finding a dramatic rise in the amount of people knocking on your door selling useless crap you would never otherwise purchase over the last year or so in Calgary?

Having lived in the same NW suburban community for the last 8 years, I am curious to see if people elsewhere are having the same experience. Just a few years ago we would maybe have 1 inquiry at our door a week, and to be clear, I don't mind the odd inquiry for bottles or charity, however, it's a bit much to be answering the door 3-4 days out of the week, sometimes multiple times at that for security systems, cable/internet packages, lawn care service, window cleaning etc. It is increasingly frustrating when you have young children and their sleep patterns being disrupted by these people as well.

I am unaware of any bylaws that relate to these activities but I'm seriously starting to consider putting up the ominous no solicitors signage on the door if this doesn't start to subside.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Welcome to the future, as robotics take all the other jobs from low skill kids and older adults. And its the cheapest business model out there.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Welcome to the future, as robotics take all the other jobs from low skill kids and older adults. And its the cheapest business model out there.
So I take it that's a yes for you as well then?

We're not just talking mom and pop operations here that are trying to make a quick buck. I've had different people from companies like Shaw, ADT, Green drop all come by multiple times this year hocking the same garbage promotion at all hours of the day or evening.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No such issue on the west hill (for now at least). Lucky if we get 1 unsolicited ring a week, one week might be a bottle drive, the next some Filipino church group. But definitely not daily or close to it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, and they barge through the no solicitation sign.

These companies do it because its a cheap sales model. You don't have to give them much infrastructure and you pretty much pay them commission.

Small companies that are selling things like reno's or roofing or nicks and nacks are going to go back to that model and combine it with website sales.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vivint Security was at my house yesterday trying to sell their crap using the usual BS tactics.

"Ya, your neighbours just signed up with us"
"Oh did they? That's interesting seeing as that place has been vacant for almost 2 months now."
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So essentially the alternative is ride it out or start making your doorstep extremely unwelcoming with signage etc.

It would be great if there was a way to report these things as a disturbance. I mean people can complain about just about anything a neighbor does these days but I'm unaware of any method to report this endless door-to-door garbage.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
merlin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I agree there is definitely an increase in front door sales. This is one reason why we installed the Nest Video doorbell. Now we can choose to answer the door or not. It will also silence your doorbell chime when the kids are sleeping.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
So essentially the alternative is ride it out or start making your doorstep extremely unwelcoming with signage etc.

It would be great if there was a way to report these things as a disturbance. I mean people can complain about just about anything a neighbor does these days but I'm unaware of any method to report this endless door-to-door garbage.

The door to door salespeople is increasing because of the National Do Not Call List prevents them from telemarketing.

Now we need a National Do Not Visit List.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the reasons why I love living in a condo. I haven't had a salesperson come to my door in the 10 years I've been in it.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #11
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a friend who's wife talked him into buying a $2,500 vacuum a few years ago from a door to door salesman, they're part of of the problem. Wife also talked him into paying big money for a Tony Robbins seminar, that was too humiliating to even bring up with him.

Still better than the religious nuts, I tell them to #### off pretty quick.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Hi, nice to meet you.
I appreciate you're doing your job, but as a rule I don't buy from or contribute to anyone who comes to my home unsolicited.
Have a good evening."

Problem solved.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #13
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a guy come to my door promoting his federal Conservative candidate. When he decided to say, in his opening pitch, that my options were either "voting for [party candidate]" or "do you like giving Trudeau all your money", I invited him to get his three chins off my property.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get these guys at my office all the time.

My two favourites have been:

1. Photocopier Salesmen.

- Yeah, I understand that I can get my 'cost per copy' down to a penny, in exchange for $120/mo payments.

For that I can, and I'm not joking, literally throw my current printer from Costco into the dumpster every 3 months and buy a new one and still be coming out ahead.

I'm not going to buy your stupid photocopier.

2. Business Coach.

"Did you know that your frontage doesnt get a lot of foot traffic?"

No way. I never knew that. What a revelation! No wonder you're such an illustriously successful business coach that you're cold-calling door-to-door with amazingly brilliant insights such as this.

I dont want to be the H&R Block in Chinook Centre, I cant even imagine the kind of work that would go through that place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Put one of these at your front door.

Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

We get almost nothing down in Dougalsdale. I'd say 2 out of 3 times its some kids selling something for their hockey team / girl guides / scouts / etc. I pretty much always buy whatever they are selling because they are actually out there doing something rather than letting dad guilt all of his co-workers into buying stuff. Extra points if they come to the door alone with their sales pitch.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We never answer our door unless we are expecting someone. And even then, if we are expecting, say, a parcel delivery, we will still look out the window first to make sure it's the delivery person. If not, we look at them, give them one of these ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, and walk away.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
We get almost nothing down in Dougalsdale. I'd say 2 out of 3 times its some kids selling something for their hockey team / girl guides / scouts / etc. I pretty much always buy whatever they are selling because they are actually out there doing something rather than letting dad guilt all of his co-workers into buying stuff. Extra points if they come to the door alone with their sales pitch.
That I dont have a problem with.

I buy the STARS calendar every year and I dont even want the calendar. Its a good cause so as soon as I see the guy with the logo I just give him the money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #19
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I removed my doorbell. It's working out really well!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #20
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had someone selling Telus TV and internet come to my door, telling me about how awesome their fibre network speeds are etc. Took a quick look on their website after I declined, and confirmed that it is not available in my area. I'm capped at 15 mbps if I go with Telus. I wonder if they had people signing up and paying for 150 without realizing they'll never have that speed.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote