Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #541
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

WIth Marino on such a roll, how likely is it that we see her in a more high profile tournament in the next month or two?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #542
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
WIth Marino on such a roll, how likely is it that we see her in a more high profile tournament in the next month or two?
I think she gets 12 points for each of these titles plus qualifying so she has maybe 40 points right now?

currently 100 points is ranked 388, that could get her into challenger level qualifying I think.I'm not as familiar with the women's tour.

Maybe she could shoot for a Rogers Cup wildcard in August.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #543
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so Tennis.com is down to the final 10 greatest players, and Jimmy Connors has landed in 10th spot today. to be honest, I expected him to go higher given his longevity and record 109 titles (though tournament quality could be questioned). so how does the rest of the list go? I shamelessly stole this from one of the comments but it seems reasonable:

10. Jimmy Connors
9. Ken Rosewall
8. John McEnroe
7. Ivan Lendl
6. Bjorn Borg
5. Pete Sampras
4. Novak Djokovic
3. Rod Laver
2. Rafael Nadal
1. Roger Federer

I'm kind of waffling on the Sampras vs Djokovic order, but I think Nole's peak brilliance on all surfaces clinches it, even if he hasn't yet matched the slam total. any other surprises possible? they're not going to do something crazy and mess with the top 3 are they?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #544
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so Tennis.com is down to the final 10 greatest players, and Jimmy Connors has landed in 10th spot today. to be honest, I expected him to go higher given his longevity and record 109 titles (though tournament quality could be questioned). so how does the rest of the list go? I shamelessly stole this from one of the comments but it seems reasonable:

10. Jimmy Connors
9. Ken Rosewall
8. John McEnroe
7. Ivan Lendl
6. Bjorn Borg
5. Pete Sampras
4. Novak Djokovic
3. Rod Laver
2. Rafael Nadal
1. Roger Federer

I'm kind of waffling on the Sampras vs Djokovic order, but I think Nole's peak brilliance on all surfaces clinches it, even if he hasn't yet matched the slam total. any other surprises possible? they're not going to do something crazy and mess with the top 3 are they?
I've been following the list as well, surprised Agassi is only #11. I've seen in the past people say Djokovic was ahead of Nadal (didn't agree at the time nor now) but with Nadals year last year you can't make that argument anymore. Pretty good top 10 to me Djokovic and Sampras are so close. Sampras has more weeks at #1 and more Grand Slams but was a mug on Clay. Sampras was also better on grass but their Hard Court work is about even IMO. I would have to put Sampras ahead right now and for Djokovic to over take Sampras Djoker needs to get to 14 Grand Slams as Sampras has such a large advantage in weeks at #1 which means more than a French Open title.

What would Nadal have to do to overtake Federer? IMO if he wins 4 more Grand Slams (with 2 being French titles) and assuming Fed doesn't win another would that be enough to be #1?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #545
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
What would really help his case would be playing the clay court season. I see him as the third best clay player behind Rafa and Thiem. You have to figure Nadal will get at least 4,000 points this clay court season to even the gap.
Nadal played all the big Clay events last year and did exceptionally well, as expected, so I can't see him picking up that many more points. Especially not 4,000. Rafa's only real chance to pick up any ground before the US Open is Indian Wells and Miami but I don't see him outplaying Roger so much that he is in the Finals and Fed is out in the first few rounds.

Considering the level he is at, if Roger makes the Semis of each upcoming 1000 tournaments and decides to play some clay events, the number 1 is his until at least the Asian swing if not Australia 2019.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #546
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Milos pummels Daniel in the first set, but is now down a break in the second. It looks like his first serve is a mess as he is connecting on only 44% for the match. This is not a match he can afford to drop as court time is what he really needs right about now.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-20-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #547
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez, I wish I would have seen what happened, Taro Daniel was up 5-3 in the second set and it certainly looked like a third set would be needed and Milos roars back to win the next four games and the match.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #548
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis is about to start his match against Dr. Ivo Karlovic...
Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #549
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shapo sends Dr. Ivo packing with a straight sets win (7-5, 7-6(4))
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #550
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Milos just lost to Steve Johnson in straight sets (6-2 6-4).
Old 02-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #551
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice win for Denis today over Jared Donaldson of the States (6-7(6), 6-4 6-4) and into the quarter-finals at the Delray Beach Open.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 02-22-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #552
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Nice win for Denis today over Jared Donaldson of the States (6-7(6), 6-4 6-4) and into the quarter-finals at the Delray Beach Open.
The draw is shaping up nicely for Denis to make a run at his first ATP title.....hopefully Del Potro and Cheung beat each other up nicely to make things a little easier on him if he advances to the semis.

In other news, it looks like Milos is working with a Goran Ivanisevic on a trial basis...interesting move but one that needs to work before you really start to worry about his mentality as he can't seem to get his swagger back.

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis...ing-prospects/
Old 02-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #553
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The draw is shaping up nicely for Denis to make a run at his first ATP title.....hopefully Del Potro and Cheung beat each other up nicely to make things a little easier on him if he advances to the semis.
Yeah, has to get by American Taylor Fritz first (should be doable) and then likely faces either Delpo or Cheung. Making a move up the rankings as well (live rankings has him currently at #44).

/Milos has dropped to #39 (made it to the Delray Open final last year, thus the drop with the early exit yesterday).
Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #554
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because I can't get enough of the Shapo one handed backhand...

https://twitter.com/user/status/966753878489276416
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #555
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genie finally won something!
https://www.tsn.ca/usta-found-neglig...case-1.1008026
Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 PM   #556
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Yeah, has to get by American Taylor Fritz first (should be doable) and then likely faces either Delpo or Cheung. Making a move up the rankings as well (live rankings has him currently at #44).

/Milos has dropped to #39 (made it to the Delray Open final last year, thus the drop with the early exit yesterday).
Seems like my prediction of Shapo being ranked higher than Milos by the end of the year could come to fruition much earlier than anyone would have thought.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #557
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Seems like my prediction of Shapo being ranked higher than Milos by the end of the year could come to fruition much earlier than anyone would have thought.
Milos won't be making much noise until he get's his confidence back but I still don't see him finishing the year outside the top 30. He has too many weapons and will have basically no points to defend the rest of the year excluding Wimbledon. He absolutely needs to play 2-3 rounds in Acapulco to get his head and legs right going into the two 1000 level events (2 modest fourth round appearances would push him back up to the top 25 again).

Shapo will likely roll into the French open on the cusp of being seeded, but again, this depends on his ability to win matches like the one he has today that will generate serious points and push him up the rankings. I would also like to see him cut down on the double faults as he is amongst the leaders in the category and is still causing him unnecessary problems as an otherwise pretty solid server for a youngster.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-23-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #558
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tiafoe knocked off Delpo yesterday at Delray Beach. Also, Rebecca Marino finally lost a tennis match (I think it was either 18 or 19 consecutive matches won prior to today).
Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #559
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis through to the semis in Delray Beach with a 7-5 6-4 win over Taylor Fritz. He will play the winner of Tiafoe and Chung.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #560
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Could be as soon as Monday...

If Shapovalov wins the Delray Beach Open, he will have 1,281 ATP Rankings points on Monday, surpassing Milos Raonic (1,270) to become the top-ranked Canadian.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread