Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #341
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How much can the day's food intake affect a run later that day? I had a bowl of cereal in the morning and some coffee, then for lunch some instant noodles and tea. I am not sure if it was the lousy lunch and not enough plain water, or what, but when I went for my after-work run, my legs felt unusually heavy after the first hills (100m) and I just didn't feel like running anymore.

So, I am not sure if it was the crappy lunch, or if because my runs normally start with an ascent, and that is starting to wear on me. I had a great run on Thursday in the rain that was 17km and 200m gain, and then yesterday was just 8km with 100m gain.

Anybody do yoga in combination with running? My wife suggested some post run yoga poses from Youtube and I cramped up, and nearly keeled over.

I like the new Garmin watch. The GPS acquisition is faster with the GLONASS, but looks like I will need to recharge the battery again after just a couple of days of use.
I do yoga once/twice every two weeks along with HIIT training and some weight lifting.

Yoga has helped improve my hip flexor, glutes and calves flexibility.

But I should focus in running more.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #342
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Check out Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube, she has a couple of running warmup and cool down videos that are pretty quick. I always try to do some sort of warmup and cooldown activity, and it helps having a video to follow along with.

Like the other guys said, nutrition is important. Make sure you eat well after your run too, if you don't get a good meal after a hard run you'll feel it on your next run.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #343
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How much can the day's food intake affect a run later that day? I had a bowl of cereal in the morning and some coffee, then for lunch some instant noodles and tea. I am not sure if it was the lousy lunch and not enough plain water, or what, but when I went for my after-work run, my legs felt unusually heavy after the first hills (100m) and I just didn't feel like running anymore.

So, I am not sure if it was the crappy lunch, or if because my runs normally start with an ascent, and that is starting to wear on me. I had a great run on Thursday in the rain that was 17km and 200m gain, and then yesterday was just 8km with 100m gain.

Anybody do yoga in combination with running? My wife suggested some post run yoga poses from Youtube and I cramped up, and nearly keeled over.

I like the new Garmin watch. The GPS acquisition is faster with the GLONASS, but looks like I will need to recharge the battery again after just a couple of days of use.
There's a lot of reasons to be sluggish. What about the heat? Thursday was rainy and cool and today was pretty damn hot (especially after work).

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 PM   #344
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone run the spartan?

Feels like the obstacles are getting dumbed down each year. They may even be removing the 30 burpees soon.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #345
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Anyone run the spartan?

Feels like the obstacles are getting dumbed down each year. They may even be removing the 30 burpees soon.
I did the Sprint and the Super this weekend. The Sprint was a joke in comparison with the Montana Beast, but the Super was painful today (having a bummed shoulder and a tender calf from a cramp from yesterday). I ran with my Vivoactive HR and the distances were a lot shorter! The Sprint was 6.96 kms and the Super was 11.89 kms (the races were supposed to be 8 and 14 kms respectively).

Spartan Canada doesn't get the same quality when it comes to the obstacles Spartan US gets (the twister as an example).

In regards about the burpees, it's the open division. They don't enforce burpees in this division, but in the Elite, Competitive and Age categories do. But as a downside, you are not allowed to help people.

As a personal note, I have a lot to work to do if I want to complete the grip obstacles and the Atlas Carry next year. That was a massive struggle in the past two days.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #346
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I did the Sprint and the Super this weekend. The Sprint was a joke in comparison with the Montana Beast, but the Super was painful today (having a bummed shoulder and a tender calf from a cramp from yesterday). I ran with my Vivoactive HR and the distances were a lot shorter! The Sprint was 6.96 kms and the Super was 11.89 kms (the races were supposed to be 8 and 14 kms respectively).

Spartan Canada doesn't get the same quality when it comes to the obstacles Spartan US gets (the twister as an example).

In regards about the burpees, it's the open division. They don't enforce burpees in this division, but in the Elite, Competitive and Age categories do. But as a downside, you are not allowed to help people.

As a personal note, I have a lot to work to do if I want to complete the grip obstacles and the Atlas Carry next year. That was a massive struggle in the past two days.
I got 12km as well. It said 14km right on the map. Still fun! Would've changed my pace a lot though. My bet was the javelin being the most burpee'd obstacle.

The rope climb and Z walls seemed much easier than in the past.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #347
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was told in the Montana beast that 75% of the attempts ended up in failure.

I was really disappointed I failed the Z wall, it was a lot easier.

The question now: how do I work towards doing the rope climb?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #348
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My buddy took home second place in the Elite division in both the Sprint on Saturday and Super on Sunday. Looked like a good fun course this year even if it was little short.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #349
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

So hard to pace myself so that I don’t burn myself or in this weather. Gotta start going later in the evenings or see if I can be a morning person. Hard to believe it is only 20 outside.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:25 PM   #350
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agreed, I’ve recently(3 weeks) have been running 4-5 Miles 2-4 times a week and I was exhausted today just felt crazy hot. I also drank like 6-7 beers yesterday but I’m sure that had nothing to do with it.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #351
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Instant noodles suck for energy. Last time I did that I felt like crap for the run. Just way too much fat and carbs all at once. Blech.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #352
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Instant noodles suck for energy. Last time I did that I felt like crap for the run. Just way too much fat and carbs all at once. Blech.

Oh, I stopped with the instant noodles a while ago. Today’s lunch was maybe okay? A large bowl of blueberries, and a hot dog for lunch. Today, I had finished from a fairly long break from running after trying to avoid the heat from previous weeks.

I started with a pretty flat route and was doing okay at a 4:30 pace for a couple of km, and then just died. I think it was a mental thing. Knowing that a pretty steep section was coming up and already feeling like getting toasted from the sun. I think I could have pushed myself through it if I wanted, but...I probably need a distraction. Maybe time for music or podcasts during running.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #353
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
My buddy took home second place in the Elite division in both the Sprint on Saturday and Super on Sunday. Looked like a good fun course this year even if it was little short.
Do the elites get to skip the mud?!

Quote:
I was told in the Montana beast that 75% of the attempts ended up in failure.

I was really disappointed I failed the Z wall, it was a lot easier.

The question now: how do I work towards doing the rope climb?
Go practice at one of the gyms in town. There are a few different foot grips that make it so you can literally sit there all day if needed (then the arms get you up). I felt the ropes at this race were ridiculously easy (very thin and grippable). I didn't even use my legs for times' sake. Chin ups certainly help.

I felt the Z wall was more form, 'jumping' your feet to the next block while maintaining strong grip.

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 08-13-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #354
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Transitioned to the treadmill. I know, I suck. Anyway, what are some good settings to mimic outdoor runs? I felt trying to run at my usual pace was grueling. maybe its just not having the ability to micro-adjust everything like when running on a solid surface, or the small variations in the surface. it either feels too easy or too hard. The Y has all the Life Fitness treadmills. I don’t know of there is a way to program them to be more “realistic”.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #355
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Transitioned to the treadmill. I know, I suck. Anyway, what are some good settings to mimic outdoor runs? I felt trying to run at my usual pace was grueling. maybe its just not having the ability to micro-adjust everything like when running on a solid surface, or the small variations in the surface. it either feels too easy or too hard. The Y has all the Life Fitness treadmills. I don’t know of there is a way to program them to be more “realistic”.
When I train at Orange Theory, they said running at 1% incline is the closest you can simulate running on the pavement. But their treadmills are awesome.

I used the treads in goodlife at a similar setting but it isn’t a good treadmill to run. But depending on which Y you go to, you could run in the tiny track.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #356
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There’s no reason you can’t get good training done on a treadmill. My wife does most of her winter running on the treadmill. She mostly trains for 50K+ trail runs and the training she does on the treadmill works for her. She did the Grizzly
Ultra this weekend and because of the smoke in August a lot of her training was on the treadmill. She did Diaz Vista in the spring and it had insane elevation gains and almost all her training for that was on the treadmill.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #357
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My feeling was just one of it being very monotonous. That might have been the struggle. iI was hoping there would be some way of programming them to follow old gps routes with the incline and different speeds. I will have to figure out the exact model snd see what its capable of.

Maybe need to invest in some of those wireless ear buds and just zone out. Treadmill workouts would be a good application for virtual reality.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:00 AM   #358
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I train at Orange Theory, they said running at 1% incline is the closest you can simulate running on the pavement. But their treadmills are awesome.

I used the treads in goodlife at a similar setting but it isn’t a good treadmill to run. But depending on which Y you go to, you could run in the tiny track.
I am also an OTFer. I was never a great runner (distance wise) and would often get shin splints when training. Since joining OTF I never get shin splints and my speed and distance have vastly increased. Most of this is due to how great their treadmills are. I went and ran the Sun Run (10 km) and the next day I thought I’d never walk again. The road is so much harder than those treads. It wasn’t the time (49:04) as I regularly cycle 4-6 hours in a day. Those treads are the best.

Tomorrow is a 23 minute run for distance at OTF. I did the 3.1 mile run for the DriTri in 22:30 so I’m hoping for to hit 3.3+ miles tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #359
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I am also an OTFer. I was never a great runner (distance wise) and would often get shin splints when training. Since joining OTF I never get shin splints and my speed and distance have vastly increased. Most of this is due to how great their treadmills are. I went and ran the Sun Run (10 km) and the next day I thought I’d never walk again. The road is so much harder than those treads.
To be fair that was because you weren't adapted to the movement (ie you need more push off on actual surface vs treadmill) nor the impact forces.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #360
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I am also an OTFer. I was never a great runner (distance wise) and would often get shin splints when training. Since joining OTF I never get shin splints and my speed and distance have vastly increased. Most of this is due to how great their treadmills are. I went and ran the Sun Run (10 km) and the next day I thought I’d never walk again. The road is so much harder than those treads. It wasn’t the time (49:04) as I regularly cycle 4-6 hours in a day. Those treads are the best.
I found their training helped me improve my running technique. I run more efficiently than before but their strength days do absolutely nothing for my calves to get stronger for hill running.

Quote:
Tomorrow is a 23 minute run for distance at OTF. I did the 3.1 mile run for the DriTri in 22:30 so I’m hoping for to hit 3.3+ miles tomorrow.
That's an awesome time! I couldn't do DriTri this time due to having a race the next morning but I completely jealous of the people who did it! Good luck tomorrow!

I did the 12 minute challenge last Monday and I managed to run 1.599 miles.

I ran Melissa's 10k the day after and I did my best time in three years but I was really concerned how my calves flared up at the start of Tunnel Mountain, forcing me to walk uphill.

Winterstart is in less than a month away and I need to be ready to run that damned mountain!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post: