Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2015, 11:42 PM   #61
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Thought it was a touch slow, maybe I was just expecting too much. I did enjoy it. Interesting cold open there, I called it as soon as I saw the raw cinnamon buns go in the tray.

Will be interesting to see if Bob Odenkirk can carry a show. He owned the scenes in Breaking Bad, but had so few of them comparatively.

Was that Tuco at the end?
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #62
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yes that was Tuco.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:45 AM   #63
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TUCO!!!!!!

Awesome.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 AM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, was the cold open at the start of Saul post-Breaking Bad?

Talk about tying the two shows together right off the bat. This could be more fun than previously anticipated.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:53 AM   #65
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I hope they don't try to tie in too many characters from Breaking Bad. Especially right off the bat. They already have Mike in there, which does make sense, since Mike was 'Sauls guy'. They obviously met somewhere along the line before Walt showed up. But spin off and origin stories get too cheezy and somewhat unbelievable when they try to link everyone back together.

There was no indication in Breaking Bad that Saul ever knew Tuco. In fact, based on a few of the back and forths Walt and Saul had, it could be assumed Walt and Jesse told Saul about their adventure with him, and Saul never brought it up. Yes, he did say 'What? some tattooed speed freak?' in response to Walt's hesitation about bringing in another distributor, but I'm pretty sure that was to be taken as a generic comment. In fact, if he DID know Tuco, his comment probably would have been far more specific. Like, 'Of course you had problems with that distributor. You should have come to me! Not only did I know him and could have warned you, I could have pointed you in the right direction (Gus)'
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 AM   #66
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Also, was the cold open at the start of Saul post-Breaking Bad?

Talk about tying the two shows together right off the bat. This could be more fun than previously anticipated.
Oh yeah, for sure. As I mentioned, I clued in as soon as I saw them roll the first bun. We know Saul was sent to Nebraska, and he even joked to Walt the last time we saw him in the show, 'I'm not a lawyer anymore. If I'm lucky in a year I'll be managing a Cinnabon.' Not exact line, but very close.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 07:39 AM   #67
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a good opener and you can't judge a series by its first episode but it did feel like it was missing something. I'm glad we get another episode back to back as I felt the first was a little slow and it appears tonight's will have some more meat to it. Not sure where this side story is going with Chuck but it's nice to be back in New Mexico.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #68
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Enjoyed the first episode. My wife hasn't seen Breaking Bad (I can't get her to watch it on Netflix for some reason), so her overall enjoyment was much less than mine. Don't think the show is that strong on its own unless you've watched Breaking Bad. I liked it a lot though and loved the opening tie in.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #69
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
Good start. I like how this is rolling already.

They are replaying today's episode tomorrow and another new episode right after on AMC.
what time and channel (Shaw)?

please and thank you!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #70
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually really liked the pacing. BB started slowly too, and the slow build ups and focus on developing characters and stories was what made it great. There was probably some pressure as a spin off to try to rush things to get that first big audience to keep coming back. It gives me hope they are putting some effort into making it a quality show that can stand on its own.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #71
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Enjoyed the first episode. My wife hasn't seen Breaking Bad (I can't get her to watch it on Netflix for some reason), so her overall enjoyment was much less than mine. Don't think the show is that strong on its own unless you've watched Breaking Bad. I liked it a lot though and loved the opening tie in.
Im kind of thinking the same, as like I said, I didn't see BB. This is just starting out like any other down on his luck lawyer show.

The best line was, "cucumber water is for customers only"
Old 02-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #72
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Im kind of thinking the same, as like I said, I didn't see BB. This is just starting out like any other down on his luck lawyer show.

The best line was, "cucumber water is for customers only"
Ohh, but it isn't. You'll soon come to appreciate all the subtle little things. The off-center camera angles, foreshadowing, dark atmosphere and great little bits of humour (like the cucumber water), that are signature Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad techniques. There is a certain genius behind it all.

Also symbolism. In BB, even the colour of someone's attire had meaning behind it.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-09-2015 at 12:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #73
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really solid start. I liked it a lot. It wasn't what I was expecting, which is a good thing.

I'm assuming that Chuck has a mental disorder that he is convinced is a legitimate illness.

Also, are they starting in Albuquerque? I know Tuco means it's the same region, but I didn't quite catch if it was the ABQ area...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:07 PM   #74
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

AMC now saying Better Call Saul had the highest rated premiere in the history of cable television.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #75
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Ohh, but it isn't. You'll soon come to appreciate all the subtle little things. The off-center camera angles, foreshadowing, dark atmosphere and great little bits of humour (like the cucumber water), that are signature Vince Gilligan and Breaking Bad techniques. There is a certain genius behind it all.

Also symbolism. In BB, even the colour of someone's attire had meaning behind it.
Sounds like something I would like.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #76
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crap! I missed it! Anyone knows if there is a replay of the premiere this week?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #77
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Crap! I missed it! Anyone knows if there is a replay of the premiere this week?
Tonight, before and after episode 2.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #78
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both episodes will be re-airing many times this week.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #79
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I enjoyed the first episode.

I also like the overlap with Breaking Bad. It would be interesting if they also used this as a vehicle to fill in the story of Breaking Bad characters (i.e. history of Gus).

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #80
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I actually really liked the pacing. BB started slowly too, and the slow build ups and focus on developing characters and stories was what made it great. There was probably some pressure as a spin off to try to rush things to get that first big audience to keep coming back. It gives me hope they are putting some effort into making it a quality show that can stand on its own.
I dunno if I would say that Breaking Bad started off slowly. That first episode was crazy! First shot is the RV barrelling down the dirt road, shot goes inside and there are two people in gas masks, one of which is unconscious and two other unconscious people sliding around the floor of the RV. Then Walt gets out and makes his 'not a confession' tape then stands in the middle of a road with gun drawn as the sounds of emergency vehicles approach.

I guess it fell into a rhythm after, but I don't think the show was ever slow. A lot happened in pretty much every episode. I think that was part of the genius of the show. They were able really develop the characters and still move the show at a good clip.

I guess some of the breakfast scenes were slow... haha.

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman