Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
musth
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Rate your current mental health level out of 10

1 being the worst, 10 the best, and give 3 potential reasons why you rated as such.

We've got some wide ranges of age, experiences, finances, health, and opinions on this board, perhaps we can leverage that strength into something positive for everyone with possible solutions, insight or just good discussion. Hopefully leading to something that leads to healing.

Last edited by musth; 11-18-2023 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Saw similar on reddit
musth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding it hard to find joy in things that I used to enjoy.

Don't have the energy or drive to go out and meet up with friends and everyone's busy and/or feeling the same way.

Hitting a point in my career where I look at the future and can't imagine doing this for another 20 years till retirement, but finding it tough to see an alternative path.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:27 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

2?

I’ve been sick for going on three weeks. It started like a basic cold and turned into a nasty flu. I’ve been stuck on the couch trying to recover with little effect.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a week ago and my grandma passed away on Friday. The latter was expected and was for the best because she’s been extra miserable for years and a burden on her children (think Livia Soprano) but she was my last living grandparent and it sucks that she’s gone. My mom is lucky that it was caught early and surgery should be enough to get rid of it, but still, #### cancer.

I’m dealing with issues related to work that I won’t get into but they’re causing me major stress.

The Flames suck and I have no desire to watch games. I’m sure I’m hardly alone in that feeling.

I’m doing better than a lot of people these days so I haven’t complained much but I sure have had a heap of #### dumped on me in the last month.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:39 PM   #4
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm a 7.5?
  1. Nothing to complain about; have a fun career, great family and friends, and a fairly active social life.
  2. Am 40, actually hitting this age was a nice little reset/refresh. I'm in pretty good shape for my age and have no physical problems. Currently working on redoing my wardrobe to bring back a more refined style for work and personal life (blazers, fitted collared shirts, proper shoes, accessories, etc.) which is fun.
  3. Only thing is that I constantly think about my long-term financial future as a single guy doing it all on my own. Also a bit nervous about where to go from here in my career (I think I'm too loyal to my work/firm versus other millennials in this sense, want to take a chance with new firms but I love what I do). Also want to get into more hobbies, but find myself not energetic enough to pull the trigger on starting most of them. Would like to take a 3-6 month sabbatical from work, back to the South Pacific if I can make it happen.

Last edited by Muta; 11-15-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:47 PM   #5
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

7?

Job that I don’t necessarily love and don’t have enough time in the day to get everything done. The position also gives customers and the public in general free rein to dump on me and my coworkers for things we have no control over. Almost everyday is a gong show at work, and I have to be there until at least 5:30 everyday which really sucks.

My health, size/ overweight by (at least) 40lbs and knees and feet are taking the brunt of weight. Considers at risk (cancer/ heart disease) based on family history, but currently at 44, no major concerns (was also able to get a family doctor earlier this year after not having one for about 7 years which has helped things)

The plus is right now, financially things are good which is not something a lot of people are able to say. And causes so much stress for so many. We have had our house paid off for nearly two years now and are able to sock more money away for retirement.

Also it is curling season and I love to curl. Play 3 times a week and looking forward to it each evening really helps me get through the day.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-15-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 09:54 PM   #6
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

2. Depression due to Dad dying and no employment. It’s been a super year.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:59 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

3 or below

It's winter. The sun goes down at 4:30. I am eating Vitamin D like a mad-man. I can't go biking in the sunshine after work (best anti-depressant). No family. Just go to work when its dark. Go home when its dark. Making the most money I've ever made. Doesn't help. I was like at 8 or 9 in September when it was sunny and I biked 120km to Lake Louise. Ever since I stopped being able to bike outside, I've gained 10 lbs in less than a month.

I need a game plan to be able to go work (not vacation) somewhere warm and sunny during the winter months as I find the SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is increasingly horrific as I get older. I haven't figured out an affordable way to do that yet.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-15-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:05 PM   #8
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things are great. My son is growing fantastically and every day I’m surprised and excited to see what he’s learned.

My mother in law had some fantastic cancer related news. My family is actually closer than we’ve been in years (with 1 exception but you win some and lose some).

Money wise I am doing well, but that’s so low on my totem pole it’s the only thing that could make my mental health a 10/10
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:10 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mostly and eight with occasional anxiety bouts that’s drops to a 3.

I’ve gotten much better at understanding and controlling triggers which really has stretched out intervals between bouts.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:11 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Also want to get into more hobbies, but find myself not energetic enough to pull the trigger on starting most of them.
What sorts of hobbies were you leaning toward getting into? I'm the opposite and seem to pick up a new hobby and deep dive into it every winter because there's absolutely nothing else to do around here if you are not into winter sports.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #11
Brupal
Draft Pick

10. Retired at 55 less than two years ago. Comfortably set financially. Spend my days being physically active and connecting with friends. Ramping up the travel that got postponed during the pandemic. Watching teenage kids grow and thrive. Chipping away at the to do list and the bucket list. I don’t miss work at all and encourage anyone considering retirement to run a financial plan and if favourable then take the plunge sooner than later.
Brupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:16 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brupal View Post
10. Retired at 55 less than two years ago. Comfortably set financially. Spend my days being physically active and connecting with friends. Ramping up the travel that got postponed during the pandemic. Watching teenage kids grow and thrive. Chipping away at the to do list and the bucket list. I don’t miss work at all and encourage anyone considering retirement to run a financial plan and if favourable then take the plunge sooner than later.
Ugh...your overwhelmingly positive mental health is actually actively detrimental to mine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:20 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

9-10?

Healthy family. Great jobs. Live in a great spot. Don’t really need anything else.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:21 PM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anhedonia feels pretty relatable sometimes

Objectively doing great. Happy with lots of things going on (daughter is awesome, good job,
Food on my plate daily etc)

Struggle to keep things out of my mind that don’t improve my life (the past, lamentations of mundane run of the mill existence, so much I never did when I could have)

Physically have a headache almost always. Can’t remember a multi day stretch without a headache clouding my thought or ability to be fully present.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:22 PM   #15
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
What sorts of hobbies were you leaning toward getting into? I'm the opposite and seem to pick up a new hobby and deep dive into it every winter because there's absolutely nothing else to do around here if you are not into winter sports.
I'd like to get into a martial art, perhaps dip my toes into the bodybuilding world, start playing the guitar/drums/cello, try getting into biking, and start learning some handy skills like carpentry/electrical/etc. And then there's easier stuff like reading more and meditating. Just struggling to find the motivation/dedication, I'm more and more tired after work. I did start beach volleyball for the first time last year, so at least there's that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brupal
Retired at 55 less than two years ago
Lucky you, enjoy it! I work in an industry that doesn't pay a ton, but it's a ton of fun. I'll be working until I'm 70 at least probably, maybe older than that. Sigh.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:25 PM   #16
Francis's Hairpiece
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haven't seen my kids in almost a year. Absolutely brutal, soul cleaving divorce. Health issues that are at the very least alarming. Have a dead end job that drains any sort of joy out of my life. I'm finding it very difficult to enjoy most everything. Surviving purely out of spite at this point.

It's got to get better than this. Right?
Old 11-15-2023, 10:37 PM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably like an 8 or even a 9? Family and self are healthy, boys are all doing well in school. My job isn’t super exciting but I like the guys I work with and it pays enough to cover our needs. And I don’t take any stress from it home. I’ve lost 70lbs this year and am in the best physical shape of my whole life. Our social life has taken great strides this year and I’ve made some new friends. My one real hobby (gaming) has had a historically good year for releases, including a new favorite in my favorite series (Zelda).

Nothing to really complain about. Could always use some more money of course but then that brings with it more stress at work, etc.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:39 PM   #18
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Keep riding. Easy to do in this city with chinooks. Get a Kickr and ride inside when it sucks .
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:54 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'd like to get into a martial art, perhaps dip my toes into the bodybuilding world, start playing the guitar/drums/cello, try getting into biking, and start learning some handy skills like carpentry/electrical/etc. And then there's easier stuff like reading more and meditating. Just struggling to find the motivation/dedication, I'm more and more tired after work. I did start beach volleyball for the first time last year, so at least there's that!

Lucky you, enjoy it! I work in an industry that doesn't pay a ton, but it's a ton of fun. I'll be working until I'm 70 at least probably, maybe older than that. Sigh.
I can't speak for martial arts, bodybuilding, or anything that requires leaving your house to go to a gym because I'm allergic to indoor gyms and team sports. The only sport I enjoy is biking because you can just go at any time and get a tremendous feeling of freedom. It has to be road or gravel biking for me though. Something about the speed and distance making everything feel in reach.

But guitar is tremendously easy to have sitting in the corner of your room and you can pick it up and noodle around with and it's super convenient. I never had any trouble picking up guitar. You just have to find a song you really like and learn to play it or learn where the notes are and just make up stuff.

I'm probably a work until 70 person too but its becoming increasingly obvious that I can't survive winters here. I get into a really dark place.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-15-2023 at 11:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 10:59 PM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have coined the phrase that I consider myself a member of the 'Dead at your Desk' Generation.

Because thats where they'll find me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:

Tags
cbc news 988