Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #281
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The expectations are getting a little crazy for Valimaki here. The chances of him being in the Calder race are low if only because, as someone pointed out, he probably doesn't get the opportunity on the PP that is required in order to put up the points necessary to get noticed.

Every is just a little ramped up after seeing so many other young d-men step it up and lead their teams. What Heskainen did in Dallas was incredible, and that makes me extra hopeful we can get a small piece of that.

Valimaki is not only killing it offensively, but he's also 6'2'' and 212 lbs. Unlike the other guys, he's also got the size.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #282
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki does seem to be very complete as an all-around player.
No real holes, no real specialties.
Maybe you could say that he's talented in skating, more-so than physicality.
But it seems like he's at least willing to play tough occasionally. He's probably also the most offensively gifted out of the NHL ready defense prospects.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #283
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Every is just a little ramped up after seeing so many other young d-men step it up and lead their teams. What Heskainen did in Dallas was incredible, and that makes me extra hopeful we can get a small piece of that.

Valimaki is not only killing it offensively, but he's also 6'2'' and 212 lbs. Unlike the other guys, he's also got the size.
Correct me if wrong, but wasn’t he arguably the best playoff defenseman in 2019 during the games he played in the Colorado series?

We could use a playoff game changer, especially since Brodie just left. He was someone that upped his game during playoff time.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #284
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liiga Report – October 2020
Quote:
Bold statement number one: Juuso Välimäki (CGY) is the best player in the league.

In a league that includes players like Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL), Emil Bemström (CBJ) and Jesse Puljujärvi (EDM), all of whom are expected to be full-time NHL players whenever the season starts, Välimäki has risen to the top of the mountain with his dominance at both ends of the ice. He’s the best defenseman in the league without any doubt but I’ll go as far as saying he’s the best player in the league.

The former first round pick, who turned 22 a few weeks ago, missed the entire 2019-2020 season due to injury. He needed just a couple of games to find his game, and it’s been pure dominance ever since. He has 11 points in 11 games, and that includes the first two games where he went pointless. He might be a bit of a forgotten guy because of that injury but I believe he will be a top-four defenseman for the Flames as soon as this season. Do not be one of those people who forgot him.
https://dobberprospects.com/2020/10/...-october-2020/
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 77 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
1qqaaz, 3thirty, AC, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, BigErnSalute_16, blankall, BloodFetish, Bourque's Twin, Brad Marsh, Braden, Buff, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, cam_wmh, CF84, Chonger, cupofjoe, Demaeon, djsFlames, dying4acup, Enoch Root, FacePaint, FanIn80, fastpuck, Fighting Banana Slug, FlamesAreOne, FlamesNation23, Flames_F.T.W, Flamezzz, FlatLandFlamesFan, foofighter15, ForeverFlameFan, Freddy, Funkhouser, Gaudreau is a Ninja, getbak, GioforPM, Glassplat, GreenHardHat, GreenLantern2814, handgroen, Heavy Jack, HockeyKhan, IamNotKenKing, IliketoPuck, Itse, jaikorven, Jeff Lebowski, Jetfire, Journey17, Loudog, mac_82, Mass_nerder, mile, MrMike, Mustache, OutToLunch, P-DAZZLE, Pellanor, Plaedo, psyang, Radio, Redrum, Rhettzky, Samonadreau, Sandman, Since1984, SnipeShow, Strange Brew, Superfraggle, Textcritic, the2bears, TheIronMaiden, Tkachukwagon, tknez16, VilleN
Old 10-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #286
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The expectations are getting a little crazy for Valimaki here. The chances of him being in the Calder race are low if only because, as someone pointed out, he probably doesn't get the opportunity on the PP that is required in order to put up the points necessary to get noticed.

However, on that note, I think it would be a great idea to give him that opportunity.
I understand that at the NHL it's all about winning, especially for a team in their window of opportunity and not development (lower leagues are for development*)

BUT

I have long wished that PP2 be a place where you put your young players who have an offensive pedigree or that you think have an offensive dimension to get those touches and that confidence building of production.

I like guys like Backs, Ryan but I'd rather see Bennett, Hanifin, Andersson or in the past Janko, or in the future Phillips, Gawdin etc play there and grow confidence with making plays and scoring goals.

Vets who are established (and got their contracts ie pay days) can focus on PK or be better rested for 5 on 5.

Put young guys in positions to succeed, to grow confidence and reach their potential.
*development happens at every level and can happen well into a career but the gist is NHL is for cut throat competition moreso than teaching in - game.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #287
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I understand that at the NHL it's all about winning, especially for a team in their window of opportunity and not development (lower leagues are for development*)

BUT

I have long wished that PP2 be a place where you put your young players who have an offensive pedigree or that you think have an offensive dimension to get those touches and that confidence building of production.

I like guys like Backs, Ryan but I'd rather see Bennett, Hanifin, Andersson or in the past Janko, or in the future Phillips, Gawdin etc play there and grow confidence with making plays and scoring goals.

Vets who are established (and got their contracts ie pay days) can focus on PK or be better rested for 5 on 5.

Put young guys in positions to succeed, to grow confidence and reach their potential.
*development happens at every level and can happen well into a career but the gist is NHL is for cut throat competition moreso than teaching in - game.
agree 100%

I want to see guys like Bennett, Dube and Valimaki on PP2
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #288
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
agree 100%

And put Lucic with them, a happy big guy plays big!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #289
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
So much for lowering my expectations lol
Old 10-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #290
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just as soon as the hype was leveling out lol.

I feel like an Oiler fan in the offseason getting showered with such hype and praise about a player. Except this might have some substance to it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #291
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Just as soon as the hype was leveling out lol.

I feel like an Oiler fan in the offseason getting showered with such hype and praise about a player. Except this might have some substance to it.
But is he going to be good for 600 goals and 1300 points though?
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #292
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
agree 100%

Agreed. Would even like to see Valimaki on PP1 so that Andersson can play PP2 and you have a threatening shot (and a right shot, with Lindholm) on both units.

Tkachuk
Lindholm-Monahan-Gaudreau (prefer the off-wing set-up)
Valimaki

Bennett
Backlund-Mangipane-Dube (Mang in the middle position as a shooter as he has the best release, similar to Monahan on unit 1)
Andersson

That second unit pp was really good the last two months of last year but with Lucic as net-front instead of Bennett. Would like to see Bennett get more opportunity if it’s warranted, but not at the expense of Backlund as he is the best puck carrier and passer of the bunch and tends to work well to create either net front deflections or open looks for the D for a shot. Had 10 PP points last year.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prizefighterinferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 04:46 AM   #293
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1322252200131895296

Oh my god his poise with the puck...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 04:49 AM   #294
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Also, this assist from a couple weeks ago is disgusting:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1315229187293106176
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #295
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1322252200131895296

Oh my god his poise with the puck...
I can't believe that all was from one game. The highlights just kept going and going.

What is the quality of this league like? Comparable to the AHL? Just a step down?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #296
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizefighterinferno View Post
Agreed. Would even like to see Valimaki on PP1 so that Andersson can play PP2 and you have a threatening shot (and a right shot, with Lindholm) on both units.

Tkachuk
Lindholm-Monahan-Gaudreau (prefer the off-wing set-up)
Valimaki

Bennett
Backlund-Mangipane-Dube (Mang in the middle position as a shooter as he has the best release, similar to Monahan on unit 1)
Andersson

That second unit pp was really good the last two months of last year but with Lucic as net-front instead of Bennett. Would like to see Bennett get more opportunity if it’s warranted, but not at the expense of Backlund as he is the best puck carrier and passer of the bunch and tends to work well to create either net front deflections or open looks for the D for a shot. Had 10 PP points last year.
I'm not a fan of Bennett as the netfront guy. I'd rather see a PP2 built around Bennett on the right circle. This goal he scored during the playoffs is what I'd hope to see more of:

Not just because that one went in. But because, back around 2018, it seemed like he really wanted to play that role on the PP. I'd always see him flare out to that area and wait for the setup pass. Hamilton was on the PP at the time and would elect to shoot pretty consistently instead, but I think someone like Andersson hor Valimaki as more of a setup mentality (or maybe better vision?). I think it's an area of Bennett's repertoire that the team hasn't really maximized. He's made some really nice plays from that right circle area when he's had the confidence to hang on to the puck - off the top of my head I can think of an incredible pass to Kris Russell in his rookie year, another great feed to Joe Colborne coming off the bench (after working over Sidney Crosby at that), a feed to Backlund in the slot in his sophomore (?) year, and a couple years ago there was a setup to Neal that was picturesque.

Valimaki would be an amazing addition to either PP unit. I'd lean towards Andersson on PP1 and Valimaki on PP2 simply because the former shoots right, which gives Gaudreau better options. Both are really skilled, and I'd argue Kylington would excel in this role too. He had a feed last preseason (?) that was one of the nicest passes. Lemme go dig it up.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-31-2020 at 07:53 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #297
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I can't believe that all was from one game. The highlights just kept going and going.

What is the quality of this league like? Comparable to the AHL? Just a step down?
Much debate about this but the AHL is definitely superior to Liiga.

Probably goes similar to this order.

NHL
KHL
SHL
AHL
those are top 4 for sure.
Somewhere under that not sure what order.
Liiga
Czech
Swiss
Mix the VHL in there somewhere too.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #298
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

This years draft pick #12OA Anton Lundell is scoring at a better rate than any of those guys, not sure why he is not mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Much debate about this but the AHL is definitely superior to Liiga.

Probably goes similar to this order.

NHL
KHL
SHL
AHL
those are top 4 for sure.
Somewhere under that not sure what order.
Liiga
Czech
Swiss
Mix the VHL in there somewhere too.

This is pretty accurate. Although I'd put the Swiss and Czech leagues below Liiga, which is a bit below SHL.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:25 AM   #299
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stunning skating abilities on display there man wow; that was an absolute clinic!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #300
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I genuinely can’t tell if this league is any good - Valimaki looks like he’s toying with them.

Maybe I should be content that he’s better than his opponents.