Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #4981
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If you really enjoyed the first two seasons, the next four are going to be a treat.
Yup...because the first two seasons were rough....it is an upward trajectory from there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:46 PM   #4982
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you really enjoyed the first two seasons, the next four are going to be a treat.
Yep

Mostly passing memories from a ten year old, but I definitely remember the new episodes making the reruns look like crap in the early 90s.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #4983
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started watching Jim & Andy last night, it’s behind the scenes footage of when he filmed Man on the Moon. He was always either Andy or Tony Clifton, I think he is a bit of a nut.

Pretty interesting though.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #4984
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I started watching Jim & Andy last night, it’s behind the scenes footage of when he filmed Man on the Moon. He was always either Andy or Tony Clifton, I think he is a bit of a nut.

Love that doc. Highly recommended.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #4985
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

Most geniuses are nuts in some way or another, and Andy to me was a ground breaking genius.

I still love the fact that Clifton still shows up to this day, probably on the instructions of Andy as one long play piece of comedy. I'll check out that documentary.

I think that Carey is what I expect out of some comedians, in that they are geniuses because their career allows them to wear a mask that covers a fairly stark face. Also the difference between Andy and Jim to me is that Jim is nowhere near as dementedly creative as Andy, there's a wall that Carey can't or won't cross.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #4986
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good comedy is often rooted in tragedy or something outside of the norm. Well-adjusted people tend to make very poor comedians.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #4987
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You'd think I'd be hilarious then.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #4988
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Season 4 of Big Mouth was good. They ramped up some of the grossness and it was already over-the-top.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #4989
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Most geniuses are nuts in some way or another, and Andy to me was a ground breaking genius.

I still love the fact that Clifton still shows up to this day, probably on the instructions of Andy as one long play piece of comedy. I'll check out that documentary.

I think that Carey is what I expect out of some comedians, in that they are geniuses because their career allows them to wear a mask that covers a fairly stark face. Also the difference between Andy and Jim to me is that Jim is nowhere near as dementedly creative as Andy, there's a wall that Carey can't or won't cross.
I was saying Carey is nuts. He stayed in character the whole time, he was either Andy or Tony but not Jim.

Cast/crew weren’t always fans of this.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:04 AM   #4990
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched The Midnight Sky last night and as plodding as it was, there was something serene and enjoyable about it. George Clooney is generally likeable. Some of the other character lines were pretty cliche for these types of movies and it seemed disjointed throughout and at the end things make sense. Could have been better with better storytelling in the middle instead of plodding along, but worth the watch to see the obvious PS5 type graphics going on throughout.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #4991
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Watched The Midnight Sky last night and as plodding as it was, there was something serene and enjoyable about it. George Clooney is generally likeable. Some of the other character lines were pretty cliche for these types of movies and it seemed disjointed throughout and at the end things make sense. Could have been better with better storytelling in the middle instead of plodding along, but worth the watch to see the obvious PS5 type graphics going on throughout.
I shut it off about halfway through. I might pick it up again when I’m in the mood for a slow story.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #4992
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched another good one today - Mudbound. Really well told story with good acting. Highly highly recommend. It's really quite odd that good films like this don't get recognized with rewards at year end. I hadn't even heard of it until it popped up on my recommend list now.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:07 AM   #4993
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Mank, and though well acted, I didn't understand much of the dialogue at all. Seemed a bit self-indulgent, but was well done I guess. David Fincher produced it.

A google search says he was busy with that and other projects and that Mindhunter would be too much time and money to produce, so it's likely dead. This is a real shame. Perhaps Netflix's best show, and for that matter, one of the best shows done, and it doesn't get wrapped up.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #4994
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Mindhunter is Netflix’s best show and one of my all-time top five to 10.

I rarely want to watch a series a second time but I’d consider rewatching this.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #4995
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Agreed, it is a shame that Mindhunter will no longer be made, it was very good.

Side note - pretty unique opportunity for Damon Herriman to be able to play Charles Manson both there and in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #4996
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Plodding is a good way to put it. Fairly predictable ending but there was something enjoyable about it. Clooney is a genuine movie star and most everything he does is easy to watch.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 PM   #4997
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Death to 2020, is more proof that parody is dead.

They tried to be crazier than reality, but they could have just recited exactly what happened and would have gotten the same story.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #4998
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Death to 2020, is more proof that parody is dead.

They tried to be crazier than reality, but they could have just recited exactly what happened and would have gotten the same story.
It started out really strong, but the last half was mostly just summarizing the news, and Trump. It skipped a lot of international stuff and ended up being US-centric. Laughed a lot during the first half, then slogged through the second.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #4999
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alice in Borderland. We're through four of eight episodes so far. Its excellent and terrifying so far.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #5000
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly, the first two seasons are like pre-season for that show. Seasons 3 thru 7 are so much better. I would say 4 and 5 are my favorite.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote