Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 PM   #901
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
ok, now they need to immediately bring out the Rogue Squadron/Leader N64 and GameCube games onto the Switch. Re-mastered, HD, Widescreen.
Yes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:38 PM   #902
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ahsoka has a cool logo there. That is the show I will most anticipate, but of course I probably watch it all.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #903
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I feel like Andor, Rangers and Rogue Squadron all scratch the same (minor) itch.

Seems like overkill for essentially characters that will fly around and blast things. How much can you do with that?
They seem like the equivalent of those network TV Marvel shows.
Less expensive to make, cheaper actor salaries and someone seems to watch them.
I'm not surprised they're going with this model; seems to work.

Personally, I agree it's overkill and dilutes the brand IMO.
The Star Wars brand is tainted already, I only want good content now, not quantity over quality.
I guess I'm a buzzkill but announcements like today don't give me excitement, they give me assurance that Star Wars as I loved it is dead.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #904
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I guess I'm a buzzkill but announcements like today don't give me excitement, they give me assurance that Star Wars as I loved it is dead.
Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.
Roast Beef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 PM   #905
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

They seem to be slathering it on somewhat thick?

They couldnt even handle their prime tentpole films and now they're going to make a half dozen other shows?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt of course, but I'm getting 'Batman vs Superman' vibes here where they take a handful of good ideas and then just completely destroy them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:42 AM   #906
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The Star Wars brand is tainted already, I only want good content now, not quantity over quality.
It's good that someone else sees this.

Make new shows if the content and story warrants it IMO.

Just not sure all these series will hit the mark. Expanding to 3 would make sense with the cautious optimism around Mandalorian and its early success, but jumping right to 7/8? You want to keep Star Wars content special, and have the anticipation for content remain high. If we have more of it than we can even get around to watching in 2022, then what does that do to the brand?

I have faith in some of these projects, others like you say feel very minor stories that I'm not sure absolutely need to exist, but will just because it's "enough" that people will watch it. Disney doing big company things. Hopefully the quantity doesn't come at the cost of the quality.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #907
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If they play that Rangers show kind of like a settling the wild west scenario I could see it being pretty cool. While Mando is flying around looking for Grogu's babies Mamma, there's a lot of crime families rising to power to fill the void left by the Empire. Lots of stories to tell in there.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #908
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's good that someone else sees this.

Make new shows if the content and story warrants it IMO.

Just not sure all these series will hit the mark. Expanding to 3 would make sense with the cautious optimism around Mandalorian and its early success, but jumping right to 7/8? You want to keep Star Wars content special, and have the anticipation for content remain high. If we have more of it than we can even get around to watching in 2022, then what does that do to the brand?

I have faith in some of these projects, others like you say feel very minor stories that I'm not sure absolutely need to exist, but will just because it's "enough" that people will watch it. Disney doing big company things. Hopefully the quantity doesn't come at the cost of the quality.
Keep in mind that even though these were all announced yesterday, these shows aren't all going to appear at the same time. Some of these things won't likely see the light of day until 2023 or later. If history is any indication, some will be cancelled before they ever go into production.

The Rogue Squadron movie is the next scheduled theatrical release and it's still 3 years away.

Andor has already begun shooting and it's still more than a year away.

Most of the things they announced weren't much more than the title and the names of one or two people working on the project.

In 2021, the only new SW content that's likely to arrive will be The Bad Batch and Season 3 of Mando late in the year. 2022 will likely see Andor and the Obi-Wan series, plus Season 4 of Mando and maybe one of the new Favreau/Filoni series.

Even at peak capacity, we're not likely to get more than one new series on Disney+ every 3 months, I'd guess.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #909
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genuinely excited for Ahsokas series and Obi-Wan. Hayden Christiansen getting his Vader/Anakin role back is super sweet too IMO. Time lines are gonna be a bit funky. Lots of flashback episodes in both series to be had.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #910
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Now that I've had a chance to digest all the news...a sober second thought on Rogue Squadron is that they might go in a completely different direction than I was hoping for. Maybe they keep the style the EU books went for but with new characters? Worst case they do a movie based on stuff during the original trilogy. We have enough nostalgia pandering in the movies and shows that are out.

Ideally the movie uses the book characters and maybe a reworked story. I think the taking of Coruscant would be pretty entertaining in a movie and have some easy hooks for a sequel.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #911
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The only watch what interests you. I’m sure out of the 10 projects announced at least a few of them excite you.

There’s literally no difference between announcing three shows and announcing the same three shows plus seven more. You still get the three awesome shows and the seven other ones other people can enjoy.

Odd take.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #912
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Now that I've had a chance to digest all the news...a sober second thought on Rogue Squadron is that they might go in a completely different direction than I was hoping for. Maybe they keep the style the EU books went for but with new characters? Worst case they do a movie based on stuff during the original trilogy. We have enough nostalgia pandering in the movies and shows that are out.

Ideally the movie uses the book characters and maybe a reworked story. I think the taking of Coruscant would be pretty entertaining in a movie and have some easy hooks for a sequel.

In the new books, they never needed to take Coruscant, The Empire left pretty much after Operation Cinder and the establishment of the First Order in unknown space, and the planet became a galactic poop hole.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #913
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They seem to be slathering it on somewhat thick?

They couldnt even handle their prime tentpole films and now they're going to make a half dozen other shows?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt of course, but I'm getting 'Batman vs Superman' vibes here where they take a handful of good ideas and then just completely destroy them.

Yes but Filoni and Favreau are in charge now. That changes everything. Kathleen Kennedy can frig off.

I basically just ignore the Sequels now. I'm a fan of Rogue One and Solo, and of course Mando is phenomenal. I'll never get sick of Filoni and Favreau content.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #914
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
In the new books, they never needed to take Coruscant, The Empire left pretty much after Operation Cinder and the establishment of the First Order in unknown space, and the planet became a galactic poop hole.
Well I guess that settles those questions. New storyline ahoy!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #915
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's probably lots of great storylines. I'd love to see a Rogue one story line that focuses on the lead in to the Battle of Jaku, and operation Cinder. Or battling what's left of the Imperial Remnant or almost like a detectiving storyline around discovering clues about the First Order.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #916
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The only watch what interests you. I’m sure out of the 10 projects announced at least a few of them excite you.

There’s literally no difference between announcing three shows and announcing the same three shows plus seven more. You still get the three awesome shows and the seven other ones other people can enjoy.

Odd take.
Thanks tips.
Glad I only have to watch the ones that interest me, was worried for a moment there.

Just expressing my opinion as 1 Star Wars fan, don't let me ruin your nerdgasm.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:32 PM   #917
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hayden Christensen returning to Star Wars in Disney+ Kenobi Series:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-kenobi-series

EDIT: Oops, just saw it was mentioned.

Last edited by Sidney Crosby's Hat; 12-11-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #918
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What a historic day for Star Wars!

Personally I don't have any problem whatsoever with them announcing this much content at once, this universe is so vast and there's so many stories that still need to be told (for me, the space between episode 3 and 4 has always been super intriguing and we get to see some of that in the Obi Wan series).

My list of preferences/excitement level is..

1. Obi Wan Kenobi Show: Hayden and Ewan back together? People like to crap on the prequel trilogy but episode 3 is still one of my favorites and the stories of those two are what binds that whole trilogy together for me anyways, super pumped for that show!! Also.. did you guys see that KK tweeted that this would be the "rematch of the century"? I feel like she's gotta be trolling.. but is it possible they actually have a lightsaber fight? Doubt it, unless it's some hazy dream, but either way pretty sure the internet would break.

2. Ahsoka: Been waiting to see her in live action since Clone Wars, never could of imagined she's be getting her own show in live-action, but the Mando episode made sure that's happening. Close 2nd for me.

3. Acolyte: A show about the sith/dark side powers? Again never would of guessed we'd see something like that but sign me up!

4. Bad Batch: Basically a continuation of Clone Wars I think, so many places they can take this story and we get to learn more about the immediate aftermath of order 66

5. Pretty much equally excited about the rest
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #919
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks tips.
Glad I only have to watch the ones that interest me, was worried for a moment there.

Just expressing my opinion as 1 Star Wars fan, don't let me ruin your nerdgasm.
You seem like a real fun person to be around. Relax dude, we’re all Star Wars fans in here.

You came in here specifically to be a wet blanket. That’s on you, not me. You’re welcome to your opinion but obviously many of us are excited about the announcements. Your opinion doesn’t make sense to me, that’s all.

No need to be a dick about it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #920
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The only series that doesn't interest me at all is the new republic rangers one, because whatever they accomplish will mean nothing in the end. Don't understand the point of that one if they insist on the new trilogy being canon.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote