Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #2961
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah to me this is like when music downloading became the norm. I would wander through an HMV (RIP) and look at CD's costing $20-$30 and I would shake my head. I'll pay $5-$10 for better quality sound, cover art, the physical copy, etc... but if you're going to charge 4x that, free will do just fine.

Things like Netfllix and Spotify captured this price point for people. Netflix is actually working it's way out of that now as $15/month is feeling not worth it with Prime, Disney and....free methods...
Old 01-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #2962
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Came across this post on reddit that details how the events of WW84 completely destroy the Batman universe if taken at face value (WW84 spoilers)

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #2963
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to have to find a way to watch this warlock, just because I want to take part in the spoiler-laden aftermath. Maybe that's their 3D chess marketing plan?
Old 01-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #2964
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm going to have to find a way to watch this warlock, just because I want to take part in the spoiler-laden aftermath. Maybe that's their 3D chess marketing plan?
I just read the plot on Wikipedia. That was enough to keep me up to date with the memes and reinforce my decision not to watch it
Old 01-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #2965
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must watch! Ghost rape lol

Last edited by trackercowe; 01-04-2021 at 11:29 AM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #2966
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Came across this post on reddit that details how the events of WW84 completely destroy the Batman universe if taken at face value (WW84 spoilers)

Spoiler!

I saw that, its interesting. I did laugh at the RedLetter guys premise on the main plot point

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #2967
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I saw that, its interesting. I did laugh at the RedLetter guys premise on the main plot point

Spoiler!
Ya after reading about it, I think this has to be the dumbest premise ever for a superhero movie. I was going to say that Patty Jenkins should get some slack as director because there's not much you can do with writing that bad, but then I saw she wrote it too. So yea, Disney should be very worried
Old 01-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #2968
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I totally understand people didn't enjoy WW84 but in terms of box office I feel like the narrative isn't fair. Tenet came out in summer and with no view at home options and after opening to $20 million the next weekend it dropped 67% to $6.7 million. I will fully admit BvS had a terrible 2nd weekend and if this were a normal year and it had a 67% 2nd weekend drop I would agree with you. But given what's going on in the world a 67% drop in North America is perfectly reasonable, especially as it's in line with the only other large release. In fact because it has an option to view at home makes its performance better than Tenet .
Box office numbers are meaningless at this time. Too many variables that can’t be isolated to make any meaningful comparisons.

It did well enough for the studio to move forward with part 3 so you’ve got that going for you. Which is nice.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:14 PM   #2969
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why do you care so much about being fair to a mediocre superhero movie?
Nadal is strictly on this form to be a DC apologist.

They can do no wrong, everything bad that happens to them is because of circumstances. Plus all those popular Marvel movies are boring formulaic and it's hard to understand why people even like them.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #2970
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I honestly wouldnt waste your money.
WW84 was very very mediocre. We're a family of 5 so the $30 was quite reasonable. I like super hero movies and likely would have been convinced to take that group of 5 to the theatre. Glad that wasn't an option. Big budget had better step it up. There's a ####load of Netflix and Amazon originals better than WW84.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:23 AM   #2971
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will WW84 one day enter the so bad it's good territory? I am starting to think it will, lots of people enjoying the movie because of how laughable and nonsensical much of the story is.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #2972
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Will WW84 one day enter the so bad it's good territory? I am starting to think it will, lots of people enjoying the movie because of how laughable and nonsensical much of the story is.
I just watched Demolition Man again the other day. A classic. Does WW84 have that level of satire?

Or are we talking the other kind of so bad it's funny? Like just pure badness and incompetence.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #2973
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

They can do no wrong, everything bad that happens to them is because of circumstances. Plus all those popular Marvel movies are boring formulaic and it's hard to understand why people even like them.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #2974
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

Meh. There's far more Marvel fan boys in here, who both refuse to admit that anything Marvel makes is anything but high theatre and that some DC movies are good.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #2975
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's that so many people are Marvel fan boys, it's just that marvel makes better movies. It's not like the Marvel movies are crap and everyone comes up with excuses for them. When you look at the movies together as the MCU, you have to admit that Marvel is way better. The DCU doesn't really go together at all, their casting choices have been pretty bad overall where Marvel has nocked it out of the park on almost all of them. Overall, Marvel movies have been more enjoyable to most people, I think DC has been outright bad with their movies so far. I will openly say that I really like the DC tv shows (for the most part) and their animated movies are amazing.

It's just disapointing that when you look at what DC has to work with, they come out with this. You read the comics, watch the cartoons as a kid and play with the toys...as a kid... and you imagine what a real life movie could look like and then you compare it to what is done and you're just let down.

I remember watching Iron Man and just being excited for what would come next and then just being more and more excited for what they would do. Not so much witih DC. The Batman Trilogy came out and it was just amazing IMO, if they could have built on that I honestly think they could have been better than Marvel...they didn't. It was crap in comparison. There haven't been too many DC movies that I couldn't wait to see.

The caveat being that what Sony did with the Marvel movies was pretty bad IMO. The X-Men franchise has had 1 or 2 good movies and they just butchered Spiderman. I didn't mind the first Fantastic 4 movies but then the next reboot of it was just bad, like really bad.

Marvel movies also have some comedy in them, DC has been dark and brooding or at least tried to be and when they try to be funny it doesn't work well.

I will openly admit that Green Lantern is one of my guilty pleasures lol. It's terribad but I really like it.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #2976
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still hoping that they follow Bloodshot and build a b-movie Valiant Universe.

I also just found out that they made a Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe movie, in 2018! Has anyone seen this? I was done completely on the cheap for youtube.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #2977
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just watched Demolition Man again the other day. A classic. Does WW84 have that level of satire?

Or are we talking the other kind of so bad it's funny? Like just pure badness and incompetence.
Yeah more of the second part, they definitely missed out on the satire side of things. It was based in 1984, but that was barely a plot point beyond the Steve Trevor wardrobe montage. I thought there would be some Orwellian connections, but nothing there. So many missed opportunities... especially considering they chose the perfect villain for a 1984 like atmosphere.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #2978
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

WW1984 what a mess. Re-watched the first movie before watching this one and the new one feels like it was made by different people.

Spoiler!

Can't say I recommend the movie. Certainly don't pay to rent it or pay for an HBO subscription for it.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 02:01 PM   #2979
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

70 years ago! Wonder Woman happened in WW1.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #2980
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I will state after watching parts of the movie, that Wiig and McCarthy kind of bore me in big screen movies. They play the same character in every single movie. When I see Wiig's name as a main actor, I pretty much say, here she comes playing the mousy socially awkward with a touch of smark character.

I'd really like to see her stretch out and try something different. She was really good in the NASA movie as a background character. Hidden Numbers or something like that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote