Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 06:07 PM   #1741
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did Pigot Burger for lunch today. Got the double and dirty tots. So Good!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #1742
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Did Pigot Burger for lunch today. Got the double and dirty tots. So Good!
This place is great. I got the single with the dirty tots. The cheesiness was really good on the burger. The dipping sauce for the tots felt like their take on big mac sauce. I would order again.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #1743
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had sushi from big catch on heritage and McLeod tonight. Have had before but felt the need to reiterate the place makes damn good sushi.

The two brothers used to operate out of the old farmers market near there. Their dream was to open a restaurant. They have great pressed sushi
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #1744
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Had sushi from big catch on heritage and McLeod tonight. Have had before but felt the need to reiterate the place makes damn good sushi.

The two brothers used to operate out of the old farmers market near there. Their dream was to open a restaurant. They have great pressed sushi
It is really good! Great presentation as well.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #1745
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had the lobster Mac & Cheese from Chef Cam Dobranski’s Isolation Kitchen (Eat Crow / Winebar Kensington) and it was fantastic.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 03:33 PM   #1746
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Anyone had YYCBurg in Sundance? Really good reviews on google but I don't always trust those.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #1747
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

My wife orders take out from there every 2 weeks. Very good!

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 06:12 PM   #1748
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I messaged Kenny and unfortunately he’s not reopening Workshop. He’s got another restaurant in the works but I don’t have any details. He’s going to make an announcement soon.
Really disappointed - as I have posted a number of times in this thread I am sure, it was our favourite "fancy" place in Calgary, and the only one I thought worth mentioning in terms of comparing internationally... I hope whatever new thing he creates is a worthy successor, and is successful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 10:12 PM   #1749
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Really disappointed - as I have posted a number of times in this thread I am sure, it was our favourite "fancy" place in Calgary, and the only one I thought worth mentioning in terms of comparing internationally... I hope whatever new thing he creates is a worthy successor, and is successful.

Only issue I had with Workshop is that they knocked it out of the park 3 times, then I brought my family and friends from out of town for a big treat and it was terrible. Lots of execution and seasoning issues and that was a huuuuge bill.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:24 PM   #1750
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Only issue I had with Workshop is that they knocked it out of the park 3 times, then I brought my family and friends from out of town for a big treat and it was terrible. Lots of execution and seasoning issues and that was a huuuuge bill.
Arg I hate that. Similar story, I raved about Nights and Weekends as I had 3 awesome experiences and we brought a bunch of friends and it was an off night.

I found same with Workshop. I got their @home a bunch of times 5/6 times they nailed it and once, just once it was mediocre.

I hope he comes back though he was a great chef.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #1751
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Yep, that would be awful - I guess we were lucky - the dozen or so times we went, it was consistent. Mind you, we never did once do the tasting menu, so that makes things more predictable...

Old 01-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #1752
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any "nice" places on Door Dash? I got a gift card and was going to use that for a birthday dinner, and I've never used DD before. In my quick browse it looks like a lot of fast food and that type of thing? If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good place that's local that might be applicable?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1753
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Are there any "nice" places on Door Dash? I got a gift card and was going to use that for a birthday dinner, and I've never used DD before. In my quick browse it looks like a lot of fast food and that type of thing? If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good place that's local that might be applicable?
I would question doing take out from "nice" places for basically 3 reasons - you are paying premium for the quality of the food/preparation, the atmosphere and the service. Obviously, atmosphere and service fall away immediately, so there is inherently less reason to pay premium. I also believe that transportation and handling inherently takes away from the quality of the food, to the point where the distinction between "nice" and "average" or "what I can make at home" becomes too blurred to be worth it. That's just my opinion, and I might be wrong. I would suggest using the credit for something like sushi, which is less prone to "degradation".

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM   #1754
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I would question doing take out from "nice" places for basically 3 reasons - you are paying premium for the quality of the food/preparation, the atmosphere and the service. Obviously, atmosphere and service fall away immediately, so there is inherently less reason to pay premium. I also believe that transportation and handling inherently takes away from the quality of the food, to the point where the distinction between "nice" and "average" or "what I can make at home" becomes too blurred to be worth it. That's just my opinion, and I might be wrong. I would suggest using the credit for something like sushi, which is less prone to "degradation".
I don't disagree with you at all (which is why I've never used DD to begin with). I like actually going out for a meal, and to me that's the biggest enjoyment. But at this point it's a choice between a home-cooked meal or doing some kind of takeout for something a little different. And yeah, I could wait another few weeks (or whatever) until the restrictions are eased, but why not both?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #1755
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely wouldn't trust a delivery service for a premium takeout order. I have observed door dash drivers do multiple deliveries in a single trip too many times to trust them with anything pricey and not traditional takeout food. Finding a place close to you so you can promptly pick up yourself and get back to your place is probably ideal.

We did LeVilla last weekend as we live in the area and it was solid- the most expensive takeout we have ever had Im sure (about $200). A couple steak entrees plus lobster tail, two kids meals, and 3 starters. The steaks were probably the weakest part of the meal, but still decent and wellness just as requested. Everything was slightly cooler than you would like, but not too bad. And that was picking up right on time and back at the house in 5-10.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-18-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #1756
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the problem with delivery for fine food is is the equivalent of sitting on the pass for 10-15 mins.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #1757
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone else stunned when you see a new place opening up? There is a new joint opening soon on 17th avenue where that brew pub was.
Who the heck would open a pub in this environment!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:59 PM   #1758
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Is anyone else stunned when you see a new place opening up? There is a new joint opening soon on 17th avenue where that brew pub was.
Maybe they got a smoking deal on rent and equipment (as in, free). I still wouldn't.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #1759
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't disagree with you at all (which is why I've never used DD to begin with). I like actually going out for a meal, and to me that's the biggest enjoyment. But at this point it's a choice between a home-cooked meal or doing some kind of takeout for something a little different. And yeah, I could wait another few weeks (or whatever) until the restrictions are eased, but why not both?
Oh, I am just saying get stuff that is not "killed" by delivery - pizza and Chinese are traditionally proven and can be re-heated. Sushi I think is safe too. I just wouldn't risk anything else...

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #1760
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Which place are you referring to Jiri?

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business