Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, definitly go to adreniline on McLeod, they do an awesome job. I'm actually making a trip oer there today.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #42
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet. I'll be there around 1 or 2. Give me a shout if you're in the area.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayems View Post
Sweet. I'll be there around 1 or 2. Give me a shout if you're in the area.

Will do.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #44
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Have to agree with the Pro-Skate / Andrenaline endorsements. I used to go exclusively to pro-skate marda loop, then one of the employees at Adrenaline started playing on my team and I gave them a go. Both do exceptional jobs. I typically go to Adrenaline now simply because I have a contact there. But both places are exceptional.

I have always put the best performance tires I could afford on my cars and bikes, and I look at skates and sharpening much the same. Why would I run incorrect air pressures in my Pirelli's? Similarly why would I take my $700 Grafs to Sport Mart to get sharpened by some emo kid with 20 piercings in his face who's closest experience to being on the ice is playing NHL 09.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #45
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I dug up this old thread. I picked up a new pair of skates last year, I went for easton skates to reeboks. I find my new skates terrible for hard turns and overall feeling of balance. Do skate vary that much from one brand to another? Any thoughts on good types of skates (for around 300) and Is there a type is sharpening I should look for to improve balance and turns? I see "rocked up forward" mentioned above?
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #46
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I dug up this old thread. I picked up a new pair of skates last year, I went for easton skates to reeboks. I find my new skates terrible for hard turns and overall feeling of balance. Do skate vary that much from one brand to another? Any thoughts on good types of skates (for around 300) and Is there a type is sharpening I should look for to improve balance and turns? I see "rocked up forward" mentioned above?
Skates have very noticeable differences between most of the major brands, and even within the same brand (e.g. the different Bauer models).

Try fiddling around with different a blade hollow and/or radius. That would have a notable impact on the problem you're describing.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #47
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

East Side Sports in Airdrie is a good spot, too.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #48
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The best place is Done Rite by far. Not even close.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #49
Property Manager DB
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
The best place is Done Rite by far. Not even close.
I used to go to Done Rite all the time and get them done for many years. I just started going to Stick Fix and I'm quite happy.

The guy (I think his name is Brent) used to work with Eliane at Done Rite for many years before he started working with Stick Fix.
Not saying I would stop going to Done Rite but nice to know there's more than 1 place to get your wheels straightened out.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

All these places mentioned above are fine, but if you really want a good sharpen, go and see Todd at esporta on McLeod and heritage, the call treliving and ask about getting a pto contract

Your skates may need to be profiled
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #51
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
Sorry for the old thread bump...

I have the same question. I live in Bowness and am getting tired of trekking to Pro Skate in Marda Loop every time I need a sharpening. Plus I don't like the elitist attitude you get there every time I have a question about my skates.

Any suggestions for the West-Northwest? Crowchild Arena is a decent idea. Anyone else go there?
Being very bias here but I work at Sports Rent and we do a very good job. Currently the least experienced guy who will sharpen customer skates has been sharpening for 5 years now, the rest of us are in the 15-35 years of sharpening experience. Cost is $5 including tax although we may finally raise the price in the next month or so, it's been over 8 years since the last time we raised the price of a sharpen. We also have sharpen cards available for 10 sharpens for $40.

Even if you don't go to us I always recommend avoiding the places like Sport Chek. Turnover rate is just too high to get consistent training and experience to do a proper job on your skates.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #52
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Being very bias here but I work at Sports Rent and we do a very good job. Currently the least experienced guy who will sharpen customer skates has been sharpening for 5 years now, the rest of us are in the 15-35 years of sharpening experience. Cost is $5 including tax although we may finally raise the price in the next month or so, it's been over 8 years since the last time we raised the price of a sharpen. We also have sharpen cards available for 10 sharpens for $40.

Even if you don't go to us I always recommend avoiding the places like Sport Chek. Turnover rate is just too high to get consistent training and experience to do a proper job on your skates.
The post you're replying to is 8 years old.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #53
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree, Adrenaline Source on Macleod does a great job, but unless you like your skates really sharp, ask them to grind them one notch from their neutral towards "glide" (I think a quarter inch). And even that setting is quite sharp.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #54
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The post you're replying to is 8 years old.
Hahaha. I honestly forgot that I linked off of the other sharpening thread that was on the front page!
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have found adrenaline to be to erratic - one time it is a good job and the next time it is not so good. I always felt like it was because too many different guys behind the wheel.

That is,why I like no sweat - just Todd and his Patawan learner Brody
Old 10-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edge school since I play there every week. Only get them done twice a year probably with about 50 skates a year.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #57
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done right is great and so is Professional skate. I also like the guy that sharpens at Max Bell and the one that runs the little shop at Cardel Rec South. They do avgreat job.

For hollow I always go with 5/8ths.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #58
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ these places would all be my second choice
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #59
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing in a state with a grand total of 2 sheets of ice and only 1 place that sharpens skates. I don't play at that sheet. One of the group ponied up for a Sparx and sharpens our skates for a fee. It really does a fantastic job.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #60
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Skate Doctor at Vivo and Don Hartman. He used to be the equipment manager for the Dinos hockey team and seems to know his stuff.

I also like the place out at Winsport. Gus Thorson runs it. He used to be the Flames equipment manager. If it was good enough for Iggy, it should be good enough for me.

Third choice is to go see my buddy with his Sparx machine. I think it does a pretty good job, but the 5/8ths I get from Sparx doesn't quite seem as sharp as the 5/8ths I get from Skate Doctor. Could just be all in my head.

Given I skate an average of 3 times each week, my wife plays, and my two boys play, I'm trying to justify getting a Sparx at home. That would be the most convenient.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote