Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #381
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Well, the Lions woke up for long enough to beat the Maori All Blacks (basically the all blacks b-team, I mean honestly how Maori is Damian Mckenzie) so they still have some hope. There are so many lions supporters around right now it's crazy.
After I saw this guy play for the Maori I reckoned it was a small percentage that was needed.

Spoiler!

Canada ran out poorly again this past weekend.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 06-19-2017 at 02:28 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #382
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the Lions woke up for long enough to beat the Maori All Blacks (basically the all blacks b-team, I mean honestly how Maori is Damian Mckenzie) so they still have some hope. There are so many lions supporters around right now it's crazy.
The Lions completed dominated the Maori All Blacks. There is still hope for a competitive series.

I was amazed at the Lions fans in Australia four years ago. I can imagine New Zealand being a smaller country feels completely swamped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Canada ran out poorly again this past weekend.

Also a bad weekend for Australia losing to Scotland. The fans here are very angry and are calling for major changes. I'm not sure anything can be done however barring major sporting cultural changes. Union is a niche sport played in private schools and the only reason the national team is competitive is from poaching League players.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 06-19-2017 at 07:14 PM.
FireGilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 AM   #383
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

First Lions test is on, 13-8 for NZ at the half. I tuned in late but it's been pretty intense from what I've seen. Lots of red in the stands too.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 AM   #384
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

All New Zealand in the second half, 30-15 the final score with the Lions try coming at the very end when the result was already sealed.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 AM   #385
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First Lions test is on, 13-8 for NZ at the half. I tuned in late but it's been pretty intense from what I've seen. Lots of red in the stands too.
The All Blacks win 30-15. It was an amazing match between two great teams and on a completely different level than the Australia Italy game I watched earlier.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:46 PM   #386
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada drew with the US today and play them again on Saturday for the berth in the RWC. It's hard to say whether they would be better off winning. A victory puts you in for sure, but the pool would be England, France Argentina and whoever Oceania 2 turns out to be.

A loss would mean they play Uruguay and if they win then it would be Australia, Wales, Georgia and Oceania 1. Neither group sets up well for Canada, so maybe you just work for the win, but I think that second group would be easier than the first.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #387
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

U of Lethbridge women's coach and former national coach passed away suddenly.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3559182/un...h-ric-suggitt/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #388
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow a red card to Sonny Bill Williams for a shoulder charge to the head! The All Blacks are down to 14 men 25 minutes into a 3-3 game.

Lions win 24-21. The All Blacks should be forced to play all games down a man just to be fair.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 07-01-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #389
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada dropped the RWC qualifier to the US yesterday 52-16. This means they play a home and home against Uruguay in early 2018 for qualification to 2019. To me this is a team just hitting bottom. I am thinking back and I don't when the last time they won a game was now? Maybe a few years and it was leading into the 2015 RWC? Maybe they managed to piece one together last summer though...

Anyway, grim times for Rugby Canada and the Sr. Mens side.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #390
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Canada dropped the RWC qualifier to the US yesterday 52-16. This means they play a home and home against Uruguay in early 2018 for qualification to 2019. To me this is a team just hitting bottom. I am thinking back and I don't when the last time they won a game was now? Maybe a few years and it was leading into the 2015 RWC? Maybe they managed to piece one together last summer though...

Anyway, grim times for Rugby Canada and the Sr. Mens side.
That is disappointing. I guess the previous draw with the Americans was a fluke and not a sign of improvement. Hopefully they can qualify against Uruguay. I'm not too confident though considering the Uruguayans beat them the last time they played and are ahead 5 spots in the rankings.

Canada's last win was in February against 28th ranked Chile and before that Russia in June 2016. Their last win against anyone half decent was Georgia in September 2015.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 07-02-2017 at 07:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #391
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
That is disappointing. I guess the previous draw with the Americans was a fluke and not a sign of improvement. Hopefully they can qualify against Uruguay. I'm not too confident though considering the Uruguayans beat them the last time they played and are ahead 5 spots in the rankings.

Canada's last win was in February against 28th ranked Chile and before that Russia in June 2016. Their last win against anyone half decent was Georgia in September 2015.
I forgot about Russia and Chile! Did they beat Georgia ahead of the RWC? I know they lost to them in the RWC pool because they were winning until half time and then completely folded in the pouring rain in Leicester.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #392
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I forgot about Russia and Chile! Did they beat Georgia ahead of the RWC? I know they lost to them in the RWC pool because they were winning until half time and then completely folded in the pouring rain in Leicester.
They beat Georgia in a warm up game in England before the RWC. The game in Leicester where they blew a 15-0 lead was against Romania. They also had a great chance to beat Italy leading 15-13 in the 2nd half.

It's amazing how far Canada has fallen. Two years ago they were competitive against teams ranked 10-15 and now we are worried about them even qualifying for the World Cup.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 AM   #393
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well that was quite the finish. Honestly I'm not too frustrated with a draw, don't mind it finishing that way as opposed to some gimmick way of deciding the series. That's gotta hurt for the All Blacks.
dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #394
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carom View Post
Well that was quite the finish. Honestly I'm not too frustrated with a draw, don't mind it finishing that way as opposed to some gimmick way of deciding the series. That's gotta hurt for the All Blacks.
I suppose they could have decided the series by counting bonus points or point differential but there is nothing wrong with the draw.

It definitely hurts for the All Blacks and a draw feels more like a loss for them. At least we learned they are not actually invincible. You just need to assemble a super team of 4 nations and play one of the games up a man.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 AM   #395
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

The third Lions test was one of the most entertaining games of rugby I've seen in the 5 years I've been following the sport. Great test debut for 20 year old Jordie Barrett who is having a hell of a season right now. Made a great pass on the first try and scored the second one himself.

I am not going to miss the hundreds upon hundreds of lions supporters coming through the airport where I work though. Every day last week the place was just full of people in red tracksuits eating nothing but bacon butties.
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #396
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played in Stampede 7's this past weekend.

First Footy I have played all year.

Head hurts, neck hurts, legs hurt, shoulders hurt, liver hurts.

I forgot how much fun it was.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #397
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Played in Stampede 7's this past weekend.

First Footy I have played all year.

Head hurts, neck hurts, legs hurt, shoulders hurt, liver hurts.

I forgot how much fun it was.
Haha. I used to love playing 7's (when I was playing), but to hear that you enjoyed it after all the comments on this board is just amusing.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #398
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. I used to love playing 7's (when I was playing), but to hear that you enjoyed it after all the comments on this board is just amusing.
I'm confused. Has UCB's account been hacked?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #399
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I'm confused. Has UCB's account been hacked?
I forgot how much fun it was to smash people and drink beer with them afterwards.

7's was but a poor fix for my rugby addiction. In fact it has left me wanting more, I might finish the season off with my old club in Calgary.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2017, 02:21 AM   #400
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Super Rugby playoffs start this weekend with the Sharks at the Lions, the Highlanders at the Crusaders, the Chiefs at the Stormers, and the Hurricanes at the Brumbies. The playoff matchups are incredibly stupid and I for one look forward to the changes next season:

-The Blues missed the playoffs despite having the 8th highest points total
-The Lions finished first overall due to an easy schedule with no games against New Zealand teams
-The Canes will be traveling to Canberra despite finishing with twice as many wins and 25 more points than the Brumbies.
-The Chiefs will be travelling to Cape Town despite finishing with 14 more points than the Stormers.