Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #181
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, another game (5 now?) with poor gap control, open passing lanes (between fo circles and slot every time) and peewee positioning. It's pretty much that every forward with the exception of 3M doesn't know what to do in their own zone, not even when (if?) we gain the puck and try to break out.

This is a coaching issue, unless all pros suddenly forgot basic hockey plays.

They claim they do a lot of video - if it's watching old episodes of Friends that's you need to reconsider the effectiveness GG.....
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #182
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you take out that debacle vs the Sens which is the team's fault....

Smith has a 2.01 GAA / 0.951 SV% over 6 games.

The team is lucky to have a 4-3 record.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #183
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
So, another game (5 now?) with poor gap control, open passing lanes (between fo circles and slot every time) and peewee positioning. It's pretty much that every forward with the exception of 3M doesn't know what to do in their own zone, not even when (if?) we gain the puck and try to break out.

This is a coaching issue, unless all pros suddenly forgot basic hockey plays.

They claim they do a lot of video - if it's watching old episodes of Friends that's you need to reconsider the effectiveness GG.....
They played the same way under Hartley. Do people forget we were terrible defensively under Hartley? A lot of the same players hmmmmmmmm

Maybe it's not a coaching issue and players start taking responsibility.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #184
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

team had plenty of terrible games with Hartley behind the bench
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #185
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
Not sure we can blame time off here. Blown out by the Sens and then squeaked a win out from a very bad team. Something needs to shift here. The optimist in me says we have the right pieces but they are not aligning. The pessimist says we have one true all star and he's got his work cut out for him.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
One Sutter could shift it all.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #186
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They played the same way under Hartley. Do people forget we were terrible defensively under Hartley? A lot of the same players hmmmmmmmm

Maybe it's not a coaching issue and players start taking responsibility.
Fine, but there is little to no resemblance in the "system" or they way they are playing. Hartley at least seemed to have an idea or direction - whether it was good or bad is a different discussion.

Sure, some players need to step up, maybe we're too slow or lack scoring, but our play without the puck is oileresque and our breakouts.... uh breakouts....

I think the talent is there, but something is amiss.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #187
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Fool me 37 more times. I have season tickets.
Hockey gods have mercy on your soul..

I was smart enough to have shared tickets with two other families. That's just too many suicide booth / drink yourself to sleep sort of nights for one winter. (Please Flames don't have that kind of a season)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #188
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Digging through the stats afterward, the entire top-6 and top-4 were over 50% in possession, and the bottom-6 and 3rd pair were under 30%. Stone and Bartkowski were at 0% at 3% xGF%, which is just comically bad. Re-watching the game, it's comical how many plays died on Ferland's and Versteeg's sticks. Bennett wasn't very good, but whenever he did make a good play one of the wingers would give it away.

At this point I think we have to bring up Jankowski and move Bennett to the wing. Not just because he's struggling at C, but we need someone who stands a chance of creating a play on the wing as well.

Also still a bit skeptical of the coaching. Outside of that run to the playoffs last year, the team didn't generate much offense 5v5 last year. And it looks like much of the same this year. Everything about this team is slow. We move the puck slowly. We skate it through the neutral zone slowly. Out forecheck is late and slow. We read the play on defense slowly. It's frustrating to watch and I agree with a lot of other posters here: it's not fun. I watched this game delayed, and even with the ability to fast-forward through commercials and intermissions I was getting bored.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #189
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have liked the coaching staff to have given the original lines a longer run.

While Ferland/Monahan/Gaudreau didn't produce as a line due to Ferland being injured, I still saw enough when they were together and enough last season to see enough chemistry there. I didn't see much chemistry with Jagr on that RW. That line is too slow and all 3 are pretty weak defensively. Ferland at least has the strength and speed to fight someone off the puck in the defensive zone and take the puck from them. Gaudreau is completely useless in the defensive zone. He just stood behind Skinner and watched him wind up a slapper.

The Bennett/Jagr/Versteeg line needs more time together. They played well, but didn't have the results, but they appeared to have a lot of possession time and scoring opportunities. Not sure why GG decided to break the up so soon before Jagr was even at 100% and just as the line was showing some signs of chemistry.

I like Glass, but not sure why he was in and not Lazar. Do the Canes even have a guy who will drop the gloves? Justin Williams????
Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #190
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost like the players are a 3 year old brat "I'm not going to play well and entertain the home fans until you give me a new arena!".
Old 10-20-2017, 12:08 AM   #191
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Digging through the stats afterward, the entire top-6 and top-4 were over 50% in possession, and the bottom-6 and 3rd pair were under 30%. Stone and Bartkowski were at 0% at 3% xGF%, which is just comically bad. Re-watching the game, it's comical how many plays died on Ferland's and Versteeg's sticks. Bennett wasn't very good, but whenever he did make a good play one of the wingers would give it away.

At this point I think we have to bring up Jankowski and move Bennett to the wing. Not just because he's struggling at C, but we need someone who stands a chance of creating a play on the wing as well.

Also still a bit skeptical of the coaching. Outside of that run to the playoffs last year, the team didn't generate much offense 5v5 last year. And it looks like much of the same this year. Everything about this team is slow. We move the puck slowly. We skate it through the neutral zone slowly. Out forecheck is late and slow. We read the play on defense slowly. It's frustrating to watch and I agree with a lot of other posters here: it's not fun. I watched this game delayed, and even with the ability to fast-forward through commercials and intermissions I was getting bored.
Based on that, and much of what we've witnessed from an undeserving 4-3 record

If I'm Brad/Gulutzan:

Jankowski --> Flames --> 3rd line center
Bennett --> Wing
Ferland --> Press box
Bartkowski --> Press box
Kulak --> 3rd pairing
Glass --> Press box
Lazar --> 4th line

I don't think I'd be alone in making those precise moves.

If you want to instill some accountability, that would be a good way of making a statement to the team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #192
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan/Gaudreau/Jagr

had a ton of chances this game...and got the one goal. Ferland does not have top line skill. He better start showing NHL skill soon TBH
Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #193
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It's almost like the players are a 3 year old brat "I'm not going to play well and entertain the home fans until you give me a new arena!".
lol, the players are worried about their careers and this season...not a new arena in 5 years 95% of them wouldn't even play in.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #194
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well at least when the Flames move to Seattle, i will be very happy with the Calgary Hurricanes when they relocate here.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #195
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

My friends: "Jagr got a point! Woohoo!"
Me: ".......Are we the Calgary Jagr's now?"
Old 10-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #196
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Based on that, and much of what we've witnessed from an undeserving 4-3 record

If I'm Brad/Gulutzan:

Jankowski --> Flames --> 3rd line center
Bennett --> Wing
Ferland --> Press box
Bartkowski --> Press box
Kulak --> 3rd pairing
Glass --> Press box
Lazar --> 4th line

I don't think I'd be alone in making those precise moves.

If you want to instill some accountability, that would be a good way of making a statement to the team.
It's pretty remarkable that it hasn't happened yet really. I would put Brouwer in the press box over Ferland though. A 4th line with Ferland-Stajan-Lazar actually has a chance to do something else than being cycled to death in their own zone on every shift. The current 4th line of Glass-Stajan-Brouwer needs to go away and never again see the light of day.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 AM   #197
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't think it was that bad of a game. The Flames were badly outplayed in the 2nd period, so that was tough to watch... but otherwise I found it to be a pretty good game. The Hurricanes play good, disciplined hockey and played a good road game tonight. I thought Darling had more big saves that Smith (though Smith was fine) and it could have gone the other way tonight.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr generated quite a few good chances tonight. Jagr should have had a couple goals. Backlund and Tkachuk both had close calls on breakaways too.

I dunno... this thread seems overly negative. I would love see a few line up changes though and get Glass, Stajan, Bartkowski, and Ferland out of the line up or on a lower line in Ferland's case.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #198
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I dunno... this thread seems overly negative.
Welcome to almost every PGT after a loss.

Trade someone, fire someone, this player is the worst, this doesn’t work. 7 games in, 4-3, and you’d swear we just hit 31st in the league after a 10 game losing streak.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:57 AM   #199
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canes 2 Flames 1

We are good on the PK but it sure is boring as #### watching us demonstrate it all the time.

Stay. Out. Of. The. Box!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:02 AM   #200
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Flames didn't play great, but we were also unlucky not to score on a couple key plays.

Backlund's breakaway, Jagr's 2 seemingly empty nets, Tkachuk to Frolik with an empty net.

Fix the penalty issue, call up Janko to add some more offense to the bottom 6, and play with more intensity when the game is up in the air and we'll be tough to handle going forward.

Also I ####ing love Jagr. I've never heard a crowd that has so much pure anticipation when he's close to scoring. When he gets the puck the crowd loses it, and when he's had some shots you can just feel how badly the crowd wants him to score. Can't wait for his first salute at home!

Last edited by AC; 10-20-2017 at 10:20 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: