Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #201
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
So let's say Brad trades away picks and/or prospects to get Hoffman and the Flames still miss the playoffs or get rolled in the first round. Will we still look back and say it was worth it?
There are no manageable picks to move and if more are traded, I will seriously question management. This team will be in a serious hole if they move another first round pick down the line, especially not knowing what those drafts will look like at this point.

If they go in on a move it better be based on prospects and potentially an existing roster player but at this point I'd rather they stand pat as they are looking way too up and down to justify a move.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #202
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's really 2 trains of thought here:

1 - Buy and use assets in hopes the people you bring on help get the flames into a deep playoff run.
Assets brought in need to be valuable and not rentals
I'd rather go big then bring in button players who dont really fit what we need.
2 - Sell what we can and hope to make the playoffs next year. At this point standing completely firm we're looking at playing .500 hockey and missing the playoffs. If that's the case I would be working the phone's trying to get some draft picks back for this years draft. You could wait until the offseason to make moves but you seem to always get more @ the deadline as teams on the bubble might give something extra to get what they want.

If you go in on Hoffman and still miss the playoffs, you still have 2 years at a good contract and know he'll be serviceable for the remainder of his contract. Then one would assume the coaching staff comes into play as on paper the flames had a roster that should have easily made the playoffs including what most people said was the best defense in the league and our forward depth should have been good enough, perhaps juggling the lines would have helped.

Last edited by Royle9; 02-20-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #203
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Why would you want to do this? Trading away current roster players for picks makes absolutely no sense right now. If we make this deal, how long would it be before those players became impact players on our roster? Likely never ( we'd probably get 2nd and 3rd rounders). And if even if they did, players picked within that range typically take a few years to develop... so, likely net effect of trading Frolik and Stone for pics: Team becomes worse in the short term and maybe in 2-4 years we have a couple of decent players to show for it.
Picks are never more valuable than they are at the draft.

If you can find some picks now, you can then use them as currency at the draft when bigger deals are both available and consummated in June when teams can fit all the changes under the cap.

No issues at all with trading players for picks at this point. This team simply is not good enough to compete in the playoffs right now, and that assumes they even get in which falls further in doubt every day.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #204
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
What's going to change in the offseason? We are still going to have no draft picks and the same prospects. If we think we can get a player now who can help us this year and long term, why not pull the trigger now? I'd rather get someone who can help the team now than getting the same player who can help us in September.

The only reason you wouldn't trade now is because the prices are too high or that mgmt doesn't think we can make the playoffs.
What I meant was, in the off season, they will have more flexibility. They will have contracts coming off the books and there will be free agents available. They shouldn't be trading draft picks at all (unless a very lucrative deal comes along).
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #205
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

I think at this point the Flames should be sellers. Any big acquisition realistically won't be helping this team for a deep playoff run, it's more likely to help make a playoff push so giving up tons of assets just to make playoffs isn't the best move in my opinion. We should be making a trade more so for the future so sell what you can and still try to make the playoffs with what we have minus a few subtractions.

These are guys I'd like to see moved:

Versteeg for draft pick(s)
Hathaway for a draft pick
Brodie to Dallas for Nichuskin (projected to return to NHL 2018/2019)
Stone to Toronto for Kapanen
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #206
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I think at this point the Flames should be sellers. Any big acquisition realistically won't be helping this team for a deep playoff run, it's more likely to help make a playoff push so giving up tons of assets just to make playoffs isn't the best move in my opinion. We should be making a trade more so for the future so sell what you can and still try to make the playoffs with what we have minus a few subtractions.

sorry... of all the "Trade Brodie" deals in this thread, this has got to be one of the craziest ones i've seen...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #207
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Agree with all except nichuskin. Agree with selling on Brodie but would target a 1st round pick. If you can get a 1st and a 2nd or a good prospect from a team, then the acquisition cost for Hamonic is essentially Brodie and a 2nd which I think is a great trade on its own merit.

Use that 1st, likely a 17-31 pick and package it with one of Fox, Kylington, Klimchuk, Mangiapane, or Gillies, to move up into the top 10 if possible in the upcoming draft and see if you can draft Brady Tkachuk. But Brady aside, you’re going to get another major piece for this team who will be a impact player in 3 years minimum.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #208
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
sorry... of all the "Trade Brodie" deals in this thread, this has got to be one of the craziest ones i've seen...
Elaborate why it's crazy?

Nichushkin is a big RW that can skate and still has lots of potential offensive upside which the Flames are in need of.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #209
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Buy or sell, I hope the flames focus on improving the team. The remaining team after your proposed moves would be worse than the Oilers this year. Think about our defensice line up after those moves. This is year 1 of a window that is 3-4 years long without requiring a retool. On one hand by trading an unprotected first, we have a lot to lose by not making the playoffs. However, this is a sunk cost regardless of that pick. It is not worth it to buy ourselves out of this problem and maybe selling does make our team better for next year. This should be the goal. Make the best team for the 3-4 year window, not making the playoffs with rentals in any given year.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #210
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Calgary Flames will be acquiring Nilsson from Vancouver, as per my source.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #211
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
Green text?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #212
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nichuskin sucks

Half a point per game in the K and you want to trade a top 4 d-man for him

I'd barely trade Stone for him and that would just be to dump the salary
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #213
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

See if you can find a buyer for Stajan and Bartkowski. Maybe Bennett if you can recoup a 1st rounder for him. Shouldn't be giving away more assets for a big fish, and a rental won't cut it, so would prefer to just stay away from buying. So I guess I'm in the sell camp?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #214
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Elaborate why it's crazy?

Nichushkin is a big RW that can skate and still has lots of potential offensive upside which the Flames are in need of.
he's done nothing in the NHL to the point he left back to go to the KHL... so he's not exactly a guy that i would think has a long term future in the NHL.

64 points in 166 NHL games and he wasn't considered exactly the model of professionalism while there.

currently only has 24 points in 36 KHL games, so compared to a guy like Panarin for example, who had 62 points in 54 games in the KHL...

Current NHL e for the KHL is .74

I see nothing but red flags with him, and if you are going to trade Brodie, you need to get something that has some certainty in return... Nischushkin is the furthest thing from that imo
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #215
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Green text?
I am not that familiar with the finer details of this site.
I just know someone who has connections to Nilsson. I take it with a grain of salt until I saw that the Canucks have just called up a goalie.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #216
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
he's done nothing in the NHL to the point he left back to go to the KHL... so he's not exactly a guy that i would think has a long term future in the NHL.

64 points in 166 NHL games and he wasn't considered exactly the model of professionalism while there.

currently only has 24 points in 36 KHL games, so compared to a guy like Panarin for example, who had 62 points in 54 games in the KHL...

Current NHL e for the KHL is .74

I see nothing but red flags with him, and if you are going to trade Brodie, you need to get something that has some certainty in return... Nischushkin is the furthest thing from that imo
Fair enough, thanks for your views. I just see Dallas as a team that could use a Brodie type player for their playoff run and I also desperately want a big scoring RW that can skate for the Flames. Ideally would want JVR but Calgary is on his no trade list.
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #217
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am not that familiar with the finer details of this site.
I just know someone who has connections to Nilsson. I take it with a grain of salt until I saw that the Canucks have just called up a goalie.
This could be a possibility, Calgary has next to nothing in the A for goalies with MacDonald the only option so they do need some help in the A
Old 02-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #218
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks for your views. I just see Dallas as a team that could use a Brodie type player for their playoff run and I also desperately want a big scoring RW that can skate for the Flames. Ideally would want JVR but Calgary is on his no trade list.
didn't mean to come off as a jerk...

i think Nicushkin is a high risk, high reward player, so if you are going to do it, it would be through picks or prospects, so that there are risks going back the other way.

Brodie, if you are going to trade him, needs to be part of a solid hockey deal, so roster player back for a high #1 or a top 6 guy...

JVR, NTC can be waived...so you'd still have to sell him on coming here, but its not impossible. MAF said that he was fully expecting to be traded to calgary, and he would have waived his NTC if it did come to pass (interview at the All star game, so take it FWIW)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #219
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Acquire Nilsson then trade Gillies?
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #220
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Acquire Nilsson then trade Gillies?
I didn't hear anything about that but I think Gillies has a higher ceiling. Living in Vancouver though I have had the opportunity to see Nilsson a few times, I think he still has yet to unlock his potential. I am so lost on Gillies right now I don't know what his future holds.

Tags
trade deadline