Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #1
FlamesLitSquad
Draft Pick

Flames WTB Goalie Set

Never played Ice Hockey before but at 29 I'm looking to get into goal - played goal in indoor soccer and street hockey growing up and want something to work towards in the gym.

Currently looking on EBay and Kijiji. Does anyone have tips of what to look for?

If anyone has a set available for someone who is 6 foot 4 looking to get a start that would be amazing too. I am trying to keep it fairly cheap as I am just trying it out.

From looking it up seems like I would need at least 36" pads (I have normalish legs and a long torso).
FlamesLitSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://worldprogoal.com/gear-store/
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats and good luck! I was in the same boat as you (although I'm "slightly" older than 29); wish I'd started sooner.

You can definitely find a lot of good/cheap (and not so cheap) used goalie gear on Kijiji. That's where I accumulated most of my stuff -- Facebook marketplace is another place to check out. I bought my mask off of eBay (although not recommended as fit is important); I would generally stick to local sources as the selection is good and it'll likely be cheaper (since you don't have to pay for shipping). 2nd Chance Sports on Edmonton Trail might be worth a visit as well.

As someone who is 6'4, you'll probably need pads that are at least 36" (although the actual measurement is based on ankle to knee, not height). And unless your plan is to flop around Hasek style, getting a set of butterfly style pads will also help (although the actual butterfly technique takes some practice, i.e. backside pushes, and sliding from side to side). Note that the newer style pads are typically very stiff; if you're someone with less hip flexibility (like me), you'll benefit from softer pads that flex more at the knee (to help close your five hole).

The rest of the gear is up to cost and personal preference; the newer stuff will be a lighter, but pants, blocker/glove, chest protector, etc from 5-15 years ago will still work fine for a beginner.

For me, skating was the toughest part to start with; once you learn the basics (shuffles, t-pushes, and c-cuts), you can start working on stopping the puck. Lots of goalie drills available on youtube.

Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in more info; I've accumulated a bunch of gear over the past couple of years, but most will likely be too small for you. You also might want to check out Discover Hockey as well (they have spots for goalies, including goalie specific coaching): https://www.discoverhockey.com/portf...ockey-classes/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
FlamesLitSquad
Draft Pick

Awesome information. Thanks for the help!

If I look at fit guides by height they say I should be looking for 38" but if I look from floor to knee pivot point it recommends 36" so I'll probably look for that.

One question I have for you is if a pad says 36" + 1" does that just mean 37"? or is the 1" an addition somewhere else?

If I end up getting everything I may reach out for some more info.
FlamesLitSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesLitSquad For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The "+1" means there is one inch of extra height above the knee. For modern butterfly pads, +1" is pretty standard; for a taller guy like you, I'm guessing a 36"+1" or perhaps 36"+2" might be a good starting point (different brands and models tend to have different sizing though, so keep that in mind).

As Madman posted above, World Pro also has a good inventory of used gear. I find they are a bit more expensive than Kijiji, but sometimes they have reasonable deals since they operate on a consignment basis (i.e. I see they have a pair of CCM 36+2 pads for $175 bucks, which isn't too bad depending on their condition).
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I learned from scratch about 15 years ago. I have worked tremendously hard and put in a lot of effort to become the world's most okayest beer league goalie.

So I'm not going to speak about how to goalie. I don't feel I'm qualified to do so.

However, I can give you tips on how not to goalie and list out the mistakes that I made.

- Buying goalie gear, strapping it on and heading out to your first game. You're gonna have a bad time. Bye bye groin muscles. Take basic skating lessons before doing anything.

- Wearing a random and cheap goalie helmet off the shelf from Sportchek/Kijiji. Want to see what double vision feels like after a slapper to the head? That's how you do it! A brand new/lightly used protective helmet is going to set you back at least $300. Sorry.

- "I played baseball extensively as a catcher. It's gonna be good." False. Bye bye groin muscles. Google Maria Mountain and start stretching to build those muscles... because you've likely never used them to the extent the position requires.

- Buying new and cheap. You're gonna have a bad time. New and cheap doesn't exist (maybe it does for pants and the blocker... arguably skates/stick). New and cheap falls apart easily, ill fitting, thin, etc... Used, cheap, good and clean is also rare. Goalies are filthy animals. Be patient on Kijiji, but 90% of it is pretty much garb/overpriced. Try posting on the Alberta Goalie Network on Facebook to see what people have. The Hockey Shop in BC (also online) has interesting Black Friday deals typically. If possible, spend the money, buy it once.

- Joining a team right off the hop. You're gonna have a bad time. If you can, spend some time/money with World Pro/Top Prospects goaltending camps/sessions to get the basics down after skating lessons. It's not nearly as easy as it looks.

I could keep going, but those are some of the major things.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

sidelineswap...... only cuz i watch trav4oilers.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

^ the helmet comment is silly. They are either CSA approved or they are not (likely doesn’t exist unless you buy an ancient used helmet). If you find a goalie helmet in a store that isn’t CSA approved I’d be floored.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
^ the helmet comment is silly. They are either CSA approved or they are not (likely doesn’t exist unless you buy an ancient used helmet). If you find a goalie helmet in a store that isn’t CSA approved I’d be floored.
Not true, the cheap helmets from Sportchek are basically glorified ball hockey helmets made of plastic. Anything good should be made of fibreglass or carbon fibre. Sure it's CSA approved, but that does mean that it's any good for playing against adults and hard rubber puck.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Not true, the cheap helmets from Sportchek are basically glorified ball hockey helmets made of plastic. Anything good should be made of fibreglass or carbon fibre. Sure it's CSA approved, but that does mean that it's any good for playing against adults and hard rubber puck.
Which one? The Bauer, CCM, or Victory?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Which one? The Bauer, CCM, or Victory?
Just go read about the Bauer NME lineup - you'll quickly see the difference between an NME3 and an NME9, (or whatever the current numbers are), and they are both CSA certified.

Better yet, go hold them both. Now try to compress the sides together and compare the strength. Compare the foam types and placement in each.

Don't be so quick to dismiss very real safety comments from people who know what they're talking about.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't speak for the current Sport Chek/retail offerings, but I have an old itech 1200 mask that has the CSA certification stickers on it, but it's basically plastic and not something I would recommend for anything other than ball hockey.

The mask I use is a Hackva which is solid (was lightly used, had to replace some of the padding but still got a good deal on it). Sportmask might be another brand worth looking into.

For a beginner, you probably don't have to worry as much about taking 90 mph clappers to the head. Having said that, beginner players don't have the best accuracy either, so shots to the head are a real possibility (especially in warmups!).
Old 11-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I can't speak for the current Sport Chek/retail offerings, but I have an old itech 1200 mask that has the CSA certification stickers on it, but it's basically plastic and not something I would recommend for anything other than ball hockey.

The mask I use is a Hackva which is solid (was lightly used, had to replace some of the padding but still got a good deal on it). Sportmask might be another brand worth looking into.

For a beginner, you probably don't have to worry as much about taking 90 mph clappers to the head. Having said that, beginner players don't have the best accuracy either, so shots to the head are a real possibility (especially in warmups!).
Ah yes... commonly known as The Widowmaker. Lol. 'Silly' me for not trusting the godly CSA sticker.

Agreed beginners don't typically shoot hard. But there's ALWAYS the one maniac in every league/icetime/shinny.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I myself use a Sportmask Mage RS TT Pro version. The website I bought the mask from states that this mask should not be worn for Ice Hockey or Lacrosse in Canada which i find odd.

I currently have no problems with it thus far. Have already been dinged in the head quite a few times up close and with clappers, with my old mask my ears would be ringing like crazy.

I'd suggest finding a used Bauer 960 on Kijiji than replacing the foam with Maltese or a better foam that's currently better than the old one.

Last edited by t0rrent98; 11-29-2019 at 05:52 PM.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #15
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesLitSquad View Post
Never played Ice Hockey before but at 29 I'm looking to get into goal - played goal in indoor soccer and street hockey growing up and want something to work towards in the gym.

Currently looking on EBay and Kijiji. Does anyone have tips of what to look for?

If anyone has a set available for someone who is 6 foot 4 looking to get a start that would be amazing too. I am trying to keep it fairly cheap as I am just trying it out.

From looking it up seems like I would need at least 36" pads (I have normalish legs and a long torso).
I have an NXI phantom mask you can have. It’s a good mask, just a bit older (bought in 2007 or 2008). Still much better than most entry level masks sold new.

Also a pair of DR pants, adult M. (32”-34” waist). Also about 10 years old, but only worn for like 12 ice times.

Send me a PM if you want them. Was gonna take up to second chance in the next few days, but saw your thread so you are welcome to have first dibs. No charge for any of it, obviously.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #16
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know of companies in town that do mask wraps?
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Anyone know of companies in town that do mask wraps?
Not local, but they do a good job

https://www.custom-cages.com/
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you catch left or right?

Also the butterfly challenge app a good place to start with working on loosening up your joints. I've had success with it after getting back into the position after 6 years.

I have pants and knee/thigh guards to sell, pm me if you want more info!

Last edited by GrrlGoalie33; 12-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post: