Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #21
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I started playing WoW during BC so I've been curious about trying out classic. The real question is will I be able to put up with the grind like I could back in the day.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually finding the grind more relaxing than I assumed; it's almost zen-like. Most likely, the annoying frustration will come with grouping with randos for dungeons when friends aren't around when even RFC will present a challenge for people at-level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #23
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Yeah, questing has been pretty chill so far for me but it's super early still. I think I'll install a quest addon to help reduce some of the friction of how they were done originally. I'm not saying I need to have objectives highlighted on the mini-map at all times (or even a giant arrow like TomTom does), but I just want better management and tracking of the quests I currently have in my log.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just wish there was a stand alone price for the Classic version. I have no interest in the newer content.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #25
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I ALMOST re-subbed last night before I saw the que to jump in. I might end up starting this weekend.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #26
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I thought Classic might be fun to play with the kids (10-11) but it'd be hard to justify the $65-70+/month for the three of us to play one game.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 PM   #27
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds amazing but in no way can I devote the time to it again. I know myself and last time I played my guild was doing server firsts from BWL up to Sunwell in BC.

Have they kept the attunement process for raids the same as before?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #28
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Have they kept the attunement process for raids the same as before?
From what I can tell and have read, the only real changes are client side (social, graphical, exploits and bots) but all the content is all straight from Classic with no real changes. All the attunements should live on in whatever form they took in 1.12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #29
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm intrigued and think I'll sub for at least a month or two and see if it rekindles any long-term memories of grinding away while having no clue what you're doing one quest at a time.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #30
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Started up on Horde side in Thunderfury. No que to log in. Nobody on the server was over level 10 the other night so there were hundreds running around the starting zones. Feels like Vanilla. I forgot about there being no quest tracking lol. It's actually really fun and I found myself getting super excited over finding a 8 slot bag.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #31
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I took the plunge yesterday and signed up. Rolled a Dwarf Hunter and there's definitely a feeling of nostalgia to it. I expect to be super casual and play a few hours here and there while slowly grinding my way higher. Would be nice to eventually do some of the large raids again but that's unlikely given the amount of time I'd have to put into it.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
I took the plunge yesterday and signed up. Rolled a Dwarf Hunter and there's definitely a feeling of nostalgia to it. I expect to be super casual and play a few hours here and there while slowly grinding my way higher. Would be nice to eventually do some of the large raids again but that's unlikely given the amount of time I'd have to put into it.
I do have some fond memories of clearing MC and BWL (retired after that with a bunch of guild drama ). But like you said if I started playing again I would be shocked if I had the time to get up to that level again.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #33
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I fully expect that I will take 6-8 months to hit max level. I don't have the free time I used to have, and I don't plan on only playing this game in that time. Leveling was the experience for me back then and not the max level content, so I'm content with that. I don't even know if I have the patience to grind out the necessary gear and materials to raid.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #34
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very surprised how many people there are that are interested in classic but didn't play Nostalrius. Maybe a marketing/word of mouth thing?

Nostalrius was a private server for Vanilla. It lasted for 14 months in 2015/2016 and led to classic being released now because of its popularity (after it got shut down there were petitions to Blizzard - either give an alternative or private vanilla servers will keep popping up).

As someone who played in high school for an absurd amount of hours, it was surprising how well you could fit in a reasonable amount of hours per week and still level/raid/PVP. I did an honor grind (which got awful in the end) and my friend did a lot of raiding.

The nostalgia is definitely there. The game will never be the same as it was in high school (all your friends playing all summer), including that first feeling of entering a massive world and seeing the map and other players everywhere. But it still holds up as a great, challenging, addicting game.

I won't be subscribing to classic but will probably play a little bit with my high school friends who have hopped back on.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #35
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1st Rag down, 5 days 3 hours after release. This game attracts a rare breed.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:40 AM   #36
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
13 years later and we've arrived full circle at South Park's warcraft episode.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #37
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
That's completely insane. How long until Kel Thuzad drops? 6 months?
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #38
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hit level 40 last night...Tauren Shaman on Kromkrush server. Wife was in Arizona all week, so yeah...my butt hurts...

I've played most of the expansions and while some were good (Legion) and some were horribly bad (Battle for Azeroth), going back to Classic just feels right and the game that it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
That's completely insane. How long until Kel Thuzad drops? 6 months?
They releasing all the content in phases. Believe there are 6 phases total, with Naxx being the last phase.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 AM   #39
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm beaten
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I'm very surprised how many people there are that are interested in classic but didn't play Nostalrius. Maybe a marketing/word of mouth thing?
If they released Classic during Legion, I wouldn't have played it. However, I'm so thoroughly disinterested in BFA that the timing is perfect to play it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: