Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #681
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom emailed a survey asking about roaming rates. I wonder if this is in response to a bunch of customer feedback on the new fee structure?
Old 08-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #682
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Coverage in the city outside downtown is fine, don't notice a difference from Rogers.

Coverage in downtown and in office buildings: Currently atrocious. Band 13 being rolled out later this fall will fix this. Without band 13 upcoming I probably would have switched my wife back to Rogers given I am hearing about the terrible reception daily.

Coverage outside of the city relies on other towers, I would suggest ensuring you have at least 500mb or 1gb of "away" data on Freedom if you travel outside major cities.
I work on the east end of downtown, take the train every day and have had zero problems. Only pain is on the train, when I go under Banff trail station heading north, I often lose service until Brentwood and sometimes upto Dalhousie station. I understand losing service in the tunnel but it just seems to take so long after that to regain it.

And I second getting some "away" data. My wife has been on Bell, currently Virgin Mobile, and my reception has been as good - if not better - than she has. I would say away coverage has improved immensely in the time I've been on wind/freedom.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #683
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else downtown have their LTE dropping out constantly right now?
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #684
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Extended range LTE i.e. band 13 is rolling out in Calgary now with 6 active towers in the downtown area and Barlow. Phone signal quality should be on parity with other cell providers once this is complete.

Vancouver looks like it's done already based on cellmapper.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/network...erage/coverage
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #685
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know how to talk to a Freedom Mobile tech person in Calgary?

My service in Renfrew is worse that it was in Silverado.

I either drop calls sitting on my couch or can't complete a call out.

When I'm not home and try to call my wife at home it goes to straight to voicemail.

Subsequently, I've tested this "undocumented feature" at the house with my work cell which is on Telus. I get the same results.

She's on a OnePlus 5T and I have a Pixel 3XL.

Is this a deadzone?!
Old 12-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #686
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Almost impossible. If you complain 3 times and its not fixed you can get out of your contract assuming that their coverage map showed your house prior to signing.

Best thing is to keep calling to complain, dont go to the stores as they cannot help and are useless. No techs in Calgary to speak with so to speak.

While Shaw owns them they are not at all integrated so dont think you are talking to someone from Shaw.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #687
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Anyone else having voicemail issues?
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #688
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom mobile is offering Shaw 100mps internet for $45/mo for customers for two years. This is $30 off regular price/mo.

https://shop.shaw.ca/ShawFreedomOffer
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #689
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

First time I could have really have used the good ole unlimited US roaming package couple weeks ago - one of the main reasons I got Wind in the first place (was travelling to the US more often at the time, mind you). The new options simply suck. Should give Freedom some feedback I suppose.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #690
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on your plan the pay-as-you-go US Roaming isn't that bad.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #691
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Depending on your plan the pay-as-you-go US Roaming isn't that bad.
Maybe I missed something when looking, but I thought I was getting hosed.

Especially, when previously it was prorated $20 per month and unlimited data...
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #692
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Maybe I missed something when looking, but I thought I was getting hosed.

Especially, when previously it was prorated $20 per month and unlimited data...
It was as low as $15 at one point, which was a no brainer. It was only 1gb and then was severely throttled after that.

I'm on the old $39 plan, us roaming is 5 cents per MB. That buys a bunch of data before I'd consider getting one of the new add-ons, which are a total rip off.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #693
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All the Internet you want for $55/mo*. when added to a Freedom Big Gig Unlimited Plan.

got an email for this today. Sounds amazing, $55 150Mbps internet as long as you have a freedom mobile plan for at least $40/mo.

I scanned through the fine print and can't seem to find anything about this being a 1 year price or anything, seems like you can just be locked in for this price forever? Anyone else hear about this or know more details? is there some conditions I'm overlooking?
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #694
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
All the Internet you want for $55/mo*. when added to a Freedom Big Gig Unlimited Plan.

got an email for this today. Sounds amazing, $55 150Mbps internet as long as you have a freedom mobile plan for at least $40/mo.

I scanned through the fine print and can't seem to find anything about this being a 1 year price or anything, seems like you can just be locked in for this price forever? Anyone else hear about this or know more details? is there some conditions I'm overlooking?
I talked to someone in store and they confirmed it is $55/mo, no contract or intro pricing fine print or anything.

I didn't get it yet as I'm waiting to switch over in mid-Dec when my new condo is finished building but will report back on the ease of setup and connection strength/speed once I test it out.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #695
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I talked to someone in store and they confirmed it is $55/mo, no contract or intro pricing fine print or anything.

I didn't get it yet as I'm waiting to switch over in mid-Dec when my new condo is finished building but will report back on the ease of setup and connection strength/speed once I test it out.

I'm currently on a $68/mo contract with Shaw for Internet 300 after threatening to move to TekSavvy, and the wife has her phone through Freedom. So it's good to know this is available once my deal runs out if Shaw won't renew it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #696
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Service/coverage update for Freedom, in Calgary from users, please?
Dead spots? Speeds in general around town, and, downtown?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #697
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Just wanted to throw my update in so as not to abandon everyone whom is surely waiting on the edge of their seats for my report.

Have yet to actually try the freedom internet as it turns out my building was wired up by telus. So I need a Shaw tech to come in and do some extra setup before Shaw or Freedom will work for me. But the telus guys wired up the cable box and wifi modem in my utility box before I moved in, they were even nice enough (lazy enough) to turn it on and have the wifi to every unit on. I noticed this on my phone with ~40 available telusA#AAA wireless signals available. They were even nice enough to put a sticker on the top of the modem with my SSID and password.... even the admin pass so I could login and change my SSID and settings.....

so tldr; I have free internet from telus currently so no update on the Freedom internet as of yet