Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #181
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to speculate, I would suspect it had something to do with Tkachuk (nothing I know, just gut feeling).

Rumors of Tkachuk's cockyness reminds me of Phaneuf.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #182
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
I had to speculate, I would suspect it had something to do with Tkachuk (nothing I know, just gut feeling).

What?

Tkachuk is now a locker room problem? The guy who everyone says is the next captain is now a cocky jerk?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #183
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

What? Tkachuk is 100% not the problem with this team... Among NHL hockey players, I doubt cockiness is a unique trait.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #184
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^Well, that covers all the bases now, Someone had to say it was Tkachuk’s fault because it has not been said so far. I gather that had to be a joke, maybe along the lines of he is playing too well and making the others players look bad in comparison?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #185
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk hasn’t been good last few games either really.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #186
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Always find this site really interesting when the team is in a skid. Seems like people sitting on things for months get triggered and lay out every theory.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #187
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What?

Tkachuk is now a locker room problem? The guy who everyone says is the next captain is now a cocky jerk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
What? Tkachuk is 100% not the problem with this team... Among NHL hockey players, I doubt cockiness is a unique trait.
I never said Tkachuk was the problem, nor was Phaneuf.

Tkachuk has arguably been the best player this season.

All I said is that they have rumoured strong personalities that don't always mesh well. Tkachuk is now the highest paid Flame and has a strong personality.

Did anything else you can think of change over the summer?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #188
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Always find this site really interesting when the team is in a skid. Seems like people sitting on things for months get triggered and lay out every theory.

Funny you should say that. I have been sitting on my own theory since the playoffs that I didn't feel too comfortable with sharing until now. I am reading some exceptionally bizarre theories here that seem to be fabricated out of the smelly air that comes out people's rear-ends. Let's really have an honest talk about the reality of the situation that we find ourselves in as Fans of the Flames.

What is really going on is that the Flames skyrocketed last regular season. It was very noticeable. What has been a bit less obvious has been the 'good season - poor season' ups and downs. The whole hockey world took note, as did the Ganymedians. They wanted to figure out how one team one year could achieve poor results, and then superb results the next. So right before the playoffs began, they abducted half of the Flames' players, and started running some really invasive testing. Unfortunately, this has led to APTSD (Alien Post Testing Syndrome Disorder - tender areas that are not normally tender and that don't really heal, as well as vivid flashbacks of such testing).

The players are temporarily replaced with doppelgangers, but unfortunately for us as fans, they are just not good at the game of hockey. People don't realize that Calgary is the world's hotspot for UFO's and related phenomenon, so this correlates nicely. Last season they replaced Neal as they wanted to study the effect of coaching when it comes to us earthlings, so he was replaced for the entire season as a control variable. I haven't been able to deduce what they are studying this season, but I firmly believe that indeed most players with the exception of Rittich have been replaced with these doppelgangers.

So, when the doppelgangers are on the ice, they are completely atrocious. However, when it is a previously abducted Flames' player, you can tell that they are having flashbacks of being probed. It is so very easy to see, and I don't know how a forum with this many people on it haven't been able to simply observe this blatant phenomenon.

I share this information knowing full well that I am placing myself in absolute danger. I just want to assuage the members of this forum during these dark times.

What can we do about this? Well, the one player that I know for sure hasn't been abducted yet is Rittich. We need to send a team to him, and he needs to be wrapped completely in tinfoil. No, this is not a 'tinfoil hat' conspiracy theory - tinfoil hats just stop them from reading your mind and nothing else (and they do that by making your skull cap and brain invisible). That's not what is going on here, and saying that this is some stupid tinfoil hat conspiracy theory is completely stupid - don't be one of these idiots, ok? Rittich needs to be wrapped in premium aluminum foil. A tinfoil tube needs to be formed around his mouth and nose (i.e. - elephant-like) to allow his breathing and feeding. A lightbulb then has to be inserted on top of this, and plugged into a socket. He will become completely invisible to the aliens, and they will just assume he is a floor lamp. I thought Tkachuk was himself, but it turns out that he has also been replaced lately - we were too slow to act there, and for that, I apologize. I fear Rittich may be the only one left that hasn't been traumatized or replaced.

This is also not the only thing to worry about either. We have meddling in our drafting. Dare I say foreign interference? Ukraine has been meddling in our drafting for years now. Need evidence to support this?

Dave Relerson, Chris Blotti, Bryan Deasly, and Jesper Mattsson.

Don't stick your head in the sand and say I am crazy. These names show that I am completely sane and right about this. There are other names I am sure, but these should be the most well-known and provide unequivocally this evidence of foreign interference in our drafting.

I have given you the information necessary to stop the Ganymedians from Ganymede, but I have no idea how to stop this Ukrainian plot. I can't provide all your answers for you, unfortunately.

Last edited by Calgary4LIfe; 11-21-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #189
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

You are a very troubled man.

Good read though.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #190
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One player being too cocky is hampering a whole team?

Yeah sure, why not.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #191
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My theory is simple
Teams have figured out how to play Johnny
He hasn’t figured how to adjust against that
I recall it happened a few years ago with AO and he developed some new weapons and tactics
Sports is about adjusting and readjusting
Can Johnny do that?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #192
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Lots of words
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #193
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My theory is simple
I recall it happened a few years ago with AO and he developed some new weapons and tactics
Can Johnny do that?
Isn’t that what they said about Johnny after his 61pt season in year one of the extension? He followed that with 84 and 99pts. What did Johnny do to increase his production after 2017?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #194
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
My theory is simple
Can Johnny do that?
I'd add to that a bit ...

1. Teams have figured out Johnny
2. The rest of that line is still trying to funnel pucks to him as the engine
3. He hasn't adjusted
4. He's gone inward and is really frustrated
5. This has nuked his individual skill completely

Steinberg said yesterday that they need to shelter him to get him going ... tough on the road, but a solid way to start. Get him thinking he can dictate again, then up his responsibilities.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #195
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame Miller...or whoever it is the Flames trade for next. It's clearly that person's fault...whoever they are.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #196
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My theory is simple
Can Johnny do that?
This is it Bednar solved Johnny and by extension solved the Flames offence and the rest of the league was watching the dismantling. The team isn't that deep we got a first line and Tkachuck. The offense lives and dies on Johnny carrying it in and button hooking and distributing. Monahan lives and dies on sick passes for tap ins. All teams have to do is smother Johnny's button hook ala Zadorov and force the dump and chase and they are hooped.

Peters had no answer in the playoffs and he has no answer now. I don't know if we have the personnel to change up our zone entries and distribution to the slot but right now its all dump ins and perimeter play they cant penetrate the high danger box anymore last year they were one of the best, this year their high danger goals for are way down. teams are just forchecking johnny hard and keeping everyone to the outside.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #197
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd add to that a bit ...

1. Teams have figured out Johnny
2. The rest of that line is still trying to funnel pucks to him as the engine
3. He hasn't adjusted
4. He's gone inward and is really frustrated
5. This has nuked his individual skill completely

Steinberg said yesterday that they need to shelter him to get him going ... tough on the road, but a solid way to start. Get him thinking he can dictate again, then up his responsibilities.
I agree with all of this but it's not the whole thing.

Why is it so difficult for this team to win when Gaudreau plays poorly? If so, that is one gigantic problem with how the team is constructed and how players are deployed.

Shut Gaudreau down and the Flames will wilt seems to be the opponent's strategy. Not hard to see why he is getting so damn frustrated.

Gaudreau is not Mario Lemieux. Never has been and never will be.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #198
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
This is it Bednar solved Johnny and by extension solved the Flames offence and the rest of the league was watching the dismantling. The team isn't that deep we got a first line and Tkachuck. The offense lives and dies on Johnny carrying it in and button hooking and distributing. Monahan lives and dies on sick passes for tap ins. All teams have to do is smother Johnny's button hook ala Zadorov and force the dump and chase and they are hooped.

Peters had no answer in the playoffs and he has no answer now. I don't know if we have the personnel to change up our zone entries and distribution to the slot but right now its all dump ins and perimeter play they cant penetrate the high danger box anymore last year they were one of the best, this year their high danger goals for are way down. teams are just forchecking johnny hard and keeping everyone to the outside.
Another poster doing mental gymnastics trying to blame anybody but Gaudreau for Gaudreau’s crap play.

Gaudreau isn’t making smart plays with puck
Gaudreau isn’t hard on the puck
Gaudreau isn’t winning any battles
Gaudreau doesn’t look dangerous either shooting or passing

But let’s just ignore all that and make it about Bednar and Peters and then we won’t have to face the sad reality that our star player is at the heart of the problem.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #199
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Isn’t that what they said about Johnny after his 61pt season in year one of the extension? He followed that with 84 and 99pts. What did Johnny do to increase his production after 2017?
He took another step forward and adjusted. He needs to adjust again. If your style gets figured out once, it can certainly happen again, and you need to respond accordingly which he hasn't really this time around.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #200
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ ^ FDW:

GM: “Johnny, I’m not paying you to skate in the corner and take sharp angle shots”
Coach: “Johnny, you keep getting funnelled in to the corner. We have identified why that is happening. In this situation, try this instead: ...”

Get the coach to do something

Profit
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote