Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
My daily rotation:
538 (when a new one is available)
Ben Shapiro
The Daily
Sam Harris

I used to listen to David Pakman but he's annoyed me lately

While I really like the idea of logic, I really can't stand the Ben Shapiro type. To listen to him rant endlessly daily would make me miserable. There's something about his style that I just can't stand. Has he ever smiled or laughed? Just seems like a negative guy.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #43
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
While I really like the idea of logic, I really can't stand the Ben Shapiro type. To listen to him rant endlessly daily would make me miserable. There's something about his style that I just can't stand. Has he ever smiled or laughed? Just seems like a negative guy.
I like to know what conservatives are thinking and he's the only talking head I can deal with.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #44
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah a lot of YouTubers are branching out as quickly as possible to other platforms (and Patreon/Patreon-alternatives).

It's very much a sinking ship situation, where mid-level creators have hundreds of thousands of subs, but only hit 5-10k views in a day on a new video while their "popular" videos from years prior rack up hundreds of thousands of views every week, since that's all YouTube's algorithm promotes.
I definitely don't blame Joe, or anyone else, for jumping ship from YouTube. I pay for a bunch of podcasts via Patreon and other subscriptions because I want them to succeed and direct support is the best option.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #45
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Highly recommend Wind Of Change!

Quote:
It’s 1990. The Berlin Wall has just come down. The Soviet Union is on the verge of collapse. A heavy metal band from West Germany, the Scorpions, releases a power ballad, “Wind of Change.” The song becomes the soundtrack to the peaceful revolution sweeping Europe — and one of the biggest rock singles ever. According to some fans, it’s the song that ended the Cold War.

Decades later, New Yorker writer Patrick Radden Keefe hears a rumor from a source: the Scorpions didn’t actually write “Wind of Change.” The CIA did.

This is Patrick’s journey to find the truth. Among former operatives and leather-clad rockers, from Moscow to Kiev to a GI Joe convention in Ohio, it’s a story about spies doing the unthinkable, about propaganda hidden in pop music, and a maze of government secrets. “Wind of Change.” An offbeat eight part investigation
https://open.spotify.com/show/3vikAu...SXuB0kP6C9Ka1g
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 PM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.metalcastle.net/scorpion...ritten-by-cia/

Quote:
“It’s a podcast, and there will be a lot of people who will get into this. It’s a fascinating idea, and it’s an entertaining idea, but it’s not true at all.”

Klaus Meine has also said the interviewer was very serious about the CIA issue. He added his words that the interviewer spent some serious times to interview with the songwriter of “Wind of Change.” After that, he concluded his words by saying that the rumors are fake news.

“I thought it was very amusing and I just cracked up laughing. It’s a very entertaining and really crazy story but like I said, it’s not true at all. Like you American guys would say, it’s fake news.”
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #47
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone listen to Malcolm Gladwells - Revisionist History podcast?

Just listened to an episode in season 4 about Pat Boone, Taco Bell, Cultural Appropriation and the rock and roll hall of fame that I thought was absolutely fantastic.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #48
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you not fall asleep? Malcolm Gladwell's voice is like a sleeping pill.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #49
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Just listened to an episode in season 4 about Pat Boone, Taco Bell, Cultural Appropriation and the rock and roll hall of fame that I thought was absolutely fantastic.
He is pretty good. I enjoyed his mini series Season 1 (Episode 4,5 and 6) dealing with class divide.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #50
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
How do you not fall asleep? Malcolm Gladwell's voice is like a sleeping pill.
Because I am an adult. Or at least pretend to be one.

I think his voice is fine. It's a nice mix from pardon my take which is my usual listen.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #51
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think his podcast is fantastic. If you like the podcast, you might enjoy the audiobook he has for Talk to Strangers, because it's basically an enormous podcast of his without the zip recruiter ads interspersed!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #52
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Its not terrible, but I think its another example of someone trying to take a realatively meaningless idea and turn it into something profound with a bunch of hand waiving and little expertise. My recommendation is to just take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Last edited by #-3; 07-14-2020 at 06:22 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #53
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Its not terrible, but I think its another example of someone trying to take a realatively meaningless idea and turn it into something profound with a bunch of hand waiving and little expertise. My recommendation is to just take everything he says with a grain of salt.
Anything glaring where he was way off base? I’m just curious because a lot of the topics he covers are things I don’t know much about. I do think some of the lines he draws between things are a little tenuous at times, but it’s really good entertainment.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #54
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe it's because I'm a goalie, but I really enjoy the InGoal podcast.

If you can get past some of the hosts' annoying habits, Players Own Voice speaks to some pretty elite Canadian athletes.

If you're more into true crime type of stuff, I recommend:
- Someone Knows Something
- Uncover
- Crime Beat
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #55
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

For history nerds like myself.

The Egyptian history podcast is decent
The history of rome podcast is excellent
and the British History podcast is amazing. Seriously, this one is nearly 350 episodes in and it's only just getting to 1066 and William the Conqueror.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Samantha Bee has a new podcast, first guest is Soledad O’Brien.

https://www.earwolf.com/show/full-re...-samantha-bee/

Colin Jost on Fresh Air today, Howard Stern tomorrow, Maron yesterday. Jim Carrey on Stern today.

Tom Hanks on Conan last week.

Last edited by troutman; 07-14-2020 at 07:47 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 PM   #57
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anything glaring where he was way off base? I’m just curious because a lot of the topics he covers are things I don’t know much about. I do think some of the lines he draws between things are a little tenuous at times, but it’s really good entertainment.
I haven't listened to an episode recently, but wouldnt say its a matter of glaring errors, its more of a dunning kruger problem. He's not wrong, but hes also not litterally right, and his accertions should be qualified as just that, accertions not facts.

I think with Gladwell the easy example is taking credit for Andres Ericssons work on deliberate practice being required to excel in a feild, boiling it down to a simple tag line, and then telling people anyone who puts 10,000 hours into something will become an expert at it. While he's not really wrong, its not his work, and its also not really right. The real work says that you need to put in concerted amounts of deliberate practice to excel, and 10,000 hours is a median amount of practice to rank amoung the worlds best at something, its not true for everyone.

In itself its not a bad thing, but if you get too many people credulously listnening to these guys, you end up with psudoscience gurus, so its important to keep that in the back of your mind and take anything these guys say with a grain of salt.

Generally if you like Revisionist history, I would reccomend Freakenomics as a better alternative. When they want to get into specific research, they are allot more likely to go right to the source.
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #58
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
For history nerds like myself.

The Egyptian history podcast is decent
The history of rome podcast is excellent
and the British History podcast is amazing. Seriously, this one is nearly 350 episodes in and it's only just getting to 1066 and William the Conqueror.
This is one I almost don't recommend because of the shear time commitment required, but I am a big fan, from the prospective of someone in the Algosphere it makes a much better sequell to the history of Rome that the Byzantine podcast does.

I like the way he present history in the "greatman" narrative, while investigating the greater forces acting on the great men themselves. I also like that he takes time to qualify why we have come to beleive what we believe about certain eras, rather that just presenting the current understanding and moving on.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #59
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I haven't listened to an episode recently, but wouldnt say its a matter of glaring errors, its more of a dunning kruger problem. He's not wrong, but hes also not litterally right, and his accertions should be qualified as just that, accertions not facts.

I think with Gladwell the easy example is taking credit for Andres Ericssons work on deliberate practice being required to excel in a feild, boiling it down to a simple tag line, and then telling people anyone who puts 10,000 hours into something will become an expert at it. While he's not really wrong, its not his work, and its also not really right. The real work says that you need to put in concerted amounts of deliberate practice to excel, and 10,000 hours is a median amount of practice to rank amoung the worlds best at something, its not true for everyone.

In itself its not a bad thing, but if you get too many people credulously listnening to these guys, you end up with psudoscience gurus, so its important to keep that in the back of your mind and take anything these guys say with a grain of salt.

Generally if you like Revisionist history, I would reccomend Freakenomics as a better alternative. When they want to get into specific research, they are allot more likely to go right to the source.
Freakonomics got stale really quickly. I’m sure revisionist history will as well but I just finished season 4 and have listened to season 5. Just interesting is all.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #60
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Freakonomics got stale really quickly. I’m sure revisionist history will as well but I just finished season 4 and have listened to season 5. Just interesting is all.
I enjoy RH as well, but was disappointed in the first episode of Season 5. The connections he tries to pull together just didn't work in that one (accounting practices for art museums). Sounds boring typing it, but it started with an interesting question, which was not really answered.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote