Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #281
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no sense in trying to apply logic when it comes to watches. As Worth mentioned, a cheap Casio will often be much more accurate than a $50k Patek.

Personally, what I like about them is that they speak to a level of craftsmanship and detail that in most of our daily life we have forgotten about (it seems like everything today feels disposable and temporary). What I like about my watch is that if all goes well, I could pass it down to my kids in 20-30 years and it would still run like it was brand new. How many things can you say that about these days?

Plus, as a guy, I just love little mechanical machines like this. If you look at some of the pictures I posted in the previous page, how can you not think that's pretty neat? A nice mechanical watch is like having a tiny engine on your wrist....it might not get everyone excited enough to spend a lot of money on it, but I think it's pretty cool.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #282
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks everyone ... as an art piece, the price makes sense. I was thinking of it from a practicality point of view, but I can see as a collectors item, practicality has nothing to do with it.

Cool, I will enjoy looking at pictures of these watches but doubt I will ever own one!
DementedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #283
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just picked up this watch. Got it today :-)

FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #284
Knut

Exp:

I never wore a watch worth more than $200 until my wife gave me this as a gift. The look is sleek and I love wearing it.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #285
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up Body and Soul as a daily wearer, the other one I was wearing was a bit too cartoon oriented and this one is an auto so it needs to be worn anyhow.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #286
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
What brand is that? It's certainly handsome enough....seems like the type of watch you'd buy at the Moma store or something.
The brand is Uniform Wares. http://www.uniformwares.com
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #287
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had this watch for about a year... quite the conversation piece as all the functions were controlled through the "+" sign on the band. Unfortunately on a flight home from Japan the digital numbers started to bleed and it was unfixable.

COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #288
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

My 2 watches:

Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #289
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
I never wore a watch worth more than $200 until my wife gave me this as a gift. The look is sleek and I love wearing it.
How are you liking the B&M as a daily driver? Every time I head down to a watch store, they seem catch my eye.

Definitely very elegant and tempting, but I'm a little turned off by their somewhat poor resale value (on one hand, they are affordable to get, but then I wonder why they get discounted so much so fast).
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #290
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rather long vid for a watch but neat?

http://www.urwerk.com/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:39 AM   #291
Golden Jet
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I haven't worn a watch in years. I use my Blackberry instead.
Golden Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:39 AM   #292
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality View Post
Thanks everyone ... as an art piece, the price makes sense. I was thinking of it from a practicality point of view, but I can see as a collectors item, practicality has nothing to do with it.

Cool, I will enjoy looking at pictures of these watches but doubt I will ever own one!
The arguments for art and collector's items don't really address what these things are...which is basically jewelry for men! It's more like a cool piece of machinery to put on your wrist. They are nice toys to have.

In terms of practicality, there are plenty of reasons to get an expensive watch. Many of these watches are good for deep sea diving, navigation (if you are a pilot), etc. Mechanically, an automatic watch with a good movement will never need batteries or winding, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #293
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
How are you liking the B&M as a daily driver? Every time I head down to a watch store, they seem catch my eye.

Definitely very elegant and tempting, but I'm a little turned off by their somewhat poor resale value (on one hand, they are affordable to get, but then I wonder why they get discounted so much so fast).
I really like it as a Daily watch. I have worn it almost everyday for 8 months and the leather looks good as new and it is impossible to scratch the face. The metal around the face has a few minor scratches that could easily be buffed out. It is definitely a slick looking watch that gets a lot of comments.

Also, I am not sure on resale, and frankly I would not resell this watch as it was a present from my Wife.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #294
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, any new watches out there?

Nothing fancy to report here, but I did pick up a couple of new ones that I've had my eye on, yet don't leave my wallet smoldering.

The first, a Seiko Samurai diving watch.

On the left.

I also picked up a Citizen Stiletto, which is a really thin dress watch.

Sorry for the hairy arms.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-08-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #295
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Now I'm getting the watch itch. Jealous of Table5's Omega.

Looked for something less sporty than my Tag.

But can't afford that at the moment, so found this Seiko that I want to check out.

bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #296
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
As far as keeping time goes...nothing. In fact a $20 quartz watch will more than likely keep better time than a $5000 mechanical watch.

You're pretty much paying for the craftsmanship and aesthetics (and for some people, unfortunately, the status that comes with a nice watch I guess).
Depends on the brand.

Generally speaking, a $20 watch has no swiss components and is made with a cheap Japanese movements. I have seen $20 watches sold broken.

If you, lets say, buy a Tag Heuer or a Rolex or Movado, the quality is much better. Often, there will be a screw-down crown, and a screw in back. These ensure better water resistancy. You notice the quality as well. A well-made watch creates less draw on the battery and the battery generally lasts for a longer time period. However, as the watch gets old, more energy is required to run the watch since gears wear down. dirt and grime also accumulate, causing a need for more energy.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #297
Adayinthe
Draft Pick

I have been wearing Gucci watches for the past 10 years, and come from a family who is fairly loyal to the brand (12 or 13 watches between the 3 of us)

Every year they release a variety of watches for just about any style you're after. Subtle and classy to down right gaudy if that's what you are in to. The price point isn't that bad either, and they have excellent warranty.

There is a certain level of vanity when spending a grand on a watch. I often think it's foolish but still cannot resist. Thanks branding and marketing...
Adayinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #298
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
Looked for something less sporty than my Tag.
Funny, I'm looking for something a little less sporty than the Speedmaster myself. I've been looking at Deville's too, like you.

Not sure what your budget is, but you might want to check out the Seiko Sarb series. They are a nice classic design (remind me a little bit of the Omega Aqua Terra's), and are a little more dressy than a Tag would most likely be. Fairly affordable too....I think most run around $300-400.

The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #299
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm getting married this summer and wanting to get my best man a watch. He's pretty outdoorsy and I want to get something equally classy and outdoorsy, if that makes any sense at all.

My budget would be between $200 and $250 - any suggestions?
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #300
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Funny, I'm looking for something a little less sporty than the Speedmaster myself. I've been looking at Deville's too, like you.

Not sure what your budget is, but you might want to check out the Seiko Sarb series. They are a nice classic design (remind me a little bit of the Omega Aqua Terra's), and are a little more dressy than a Tag would most likely be. Fairly affordable too....I think most run around $300-400.
Looking for a leather strap and with a simple face, preferably white/brown. Looked at Longines and was looking at the Nomos as well. They're pretty sweet, and having the clear back to see the insides of the watch is nice.

On the pricey side if I want an Automatic, the manual ones I might be able to convince the other half on the purchase.

Are the Seiko's Sarb under another name? Can't find it on the Seiko website.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote