Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #21
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
New Horizon Mall, the new Asian supermall in Balzac opened up in the spring but is anything there yet? I heard rumors there would be a Daiso and other places there. I'm still surprised this thing opened. Is there actually demand in Calgary to sustain such a thing?
It's not officially open yet. I think there's only one store at the moment that you can go to? The grand opening once more vendors come in is suppose to be in the fall.
Quote:
I don't think Sunridge has any prospective tenants and H&M just closed on that end as well (one of those cheap Urban clothing stores is going in to replace it). Most of the Zellers/Target is now a cheap furniture showroom place. They must make huge margins on the furniture to be able to pay the rent!
H&M at Sunridge has turned into an Urban Planet. The old Zellers/Target (including the parking lot) space is undergoing major construction work. It seems Marks is going to be the tenant on the upper floor. No idea what's going on otherwise though.

EDIT: Looks like zzz got the answer in the previous post.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would really like to see one of those old Sears or vacated H&M stores become a Uniqlo, it's really popular in Toronto and I think Albertans would flock to it fairly easily.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
JBR
Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #23
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
(it used to be a Red Devil - which was also a terrible place to eat).
Red Devil was awesome when they had their original menu. When they changed it, that's when it went to crap.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #24
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't envision Saks 5th Ave surviving in Chinook, been there twice, both time mostly empty and tons of clothes that won't sell here. My wife said half the stuff she wouldn't buy for $5 at value village it was that tacky.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Northland, what are they putting up on the north end where the cheesecake was? They seem to be constantly working on that site but it feels like in two years nothing has actually been accomplished other than tearing down the old place.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Speaking of Northland, what are they putting up on the north end where the cheesecake was? They seem to be constantly working on that site but it feels like in two years nothing has actually been accomplished other than tearing down the old place.
I miss when that building was Burger King!
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #27
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't understand how online shopping could replace physical clothing stores. Unless you're built like a mannequin it would be real hit and miss, fit wise.

I could see for things like underwear, socks, toques etc. But not for shirts and pants, unless you buy the exact same clothes everytime.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #28
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mivdo View Post
I don't understand how online shopping could replace physical clothing stores. Unless you're built like a mannequin it would be real hit and miss, fit wise.

I could see for things like underwear, socks, toques etc. But not for shirts and pants, unless you buy the exact same clothes everytime.
I have found a dress shirt from a company that I really like and that fits me perfectly. I buy pretty much exclusively from them online now. I usually never have a problem with pants not fitting.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #29
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald-com.cdn.amppro...-in-rocky-view

Quote:
The Reeve of Rocky View hopes a $300-million mega mall proposed for his county has survived the city’s objections with a provincial arbitrator, arguing the project will create much-needed jobs and services
Quote:
Representatives from the city and county appeared before the province’s Municipal Government Board (MGB) between July 30 and August 3 to debate the OMNI Area Structure Plan — a massive retail and outlet centre with restaurants, boutique hotels, a children’s creative zone, a senior’s living community and a large office campus.

At just over 517 hectares — nearly twice the footprint of CrossIron Mills near Balzac — the plan proposed by the county and Genesis Land Development Corp. also envisions at least 1.4 million square feet of retail and industrial space east of Stoney Trail and south of Country Hills Blvd. N.E., just outside city limits.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #30
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I miss when that building was Ponderosa!
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #31
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Thanks for posting this. A friend had mentioned there were plans for another mega-mall near Cross Iron Mills. I couldn't believe it, and wasn't able to find anything on it. How is that sustainable?
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #32
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I miss when that building was a Ponderosa!
psyang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #33
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Speaking of nw shopping, what is going on with Brentwood mall? What is the old Sears home store becoming? A lot of construction occuring on it...
It’s going to be a furniture store. Drove past it yesterday. Ethan Allen maybe? I can’t remember.. was on a mission to get to Starbucks.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #34
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Build a funkin' Costco in West Calgary before another NE mega mall... Jesus christ...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #35
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
It’s going to be a furniture store. Drove past it yesterday. Ethan Allen maybe? I can’t remember.. was on a mission to get to Starbucks.
It’s an Ashley furniture.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #36
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chinook seems like they are slowly kicking out the cheap stores in favour of luxury brands. Look at the north side where the Apple store is, they have Le Creuset, Coach, Burberry, Tory Burch. Michael Kors, Birks and have recently added Tesla (why?), Canada Goose, Ted Baker, Kate Spade, and soon to be Louis Vuitton.

I think a lot of malls suffer from being stuck in the middle, either they are not ghetto enough (like Marlborough) or they are not high-end enough. I think we will slowly see the malls in this part of the country be more price-segregated.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #37
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Chinook seems like they are slowly kicking out the cheap stores in favour of luxury brands. Look at the north side where the Apple store is, they have Le Creuset, Coach, Burberry, Tory Burch. Michael Kors, Birks and have recently added Tesla (why?), Canada Goose, Ted Baker, Kate Spade, and soon to be Louis Vuitton.

I think a lot of malls suffer from being stuck in the middle, either they are not ghetto enough (like Marlborough) or they are not high-end enough. I think we will slowly see the malls in this part of the country be more price-segregated.
I feel like Sunridge is in this bind right now. Too good to be a ghetto mall (Can't see Marlborough surviving in its current format much longer), but don't have enough stores that people want which are in Market Mall and Chinook. Although Chinook is higher end than Sunridge should strive to be. It should be competing with Crossiron to draw in shoppers from the NE and Chestermere area.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #38
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Tesla's been in the mall for years.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #39
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Build a funkin' Costco in West Calgary before another NE mega mall... Jesus christ...
I bet the Sarcee mega development will include one.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #40
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There's a lot going on at Chinook Mall as well as it looks like Cadillac Fairview has decided the whole early 2000 mall aesthetic has got to go and they are renewing huge segments of the mall - in my memory it feels like we just got the "New" Chinook Mall a few years ago but now I realize its been 20 years.
I feel old. I remember the mall before that big reno and for some reason the flooring in particular - kind of a white colour with reflective quartz-like flakes embedded in it. Would that have been original (60s? 70s?) or was there another epic reno at some point in its history?

I wish the Cineplex would repaint their exterior... that tremclad rainbow look was awful from the day it went up.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post: