Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #101
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Sometimes it is worthwhile to take profits on a part of your position and leave some to ride.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #102
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Most stocks eventually to go zero, so while taking profits early can hurt in hind sight, profit is profit.

(I'm dumbing this down pretty severely, but if you self manage your portfolio by hand picking stocks and are making money at it, you are doing better than most)

Profit of any kind is good but you have to remember you're also paying for the losers when you trade. I find that there are typically small winners and small losers that cancel each other out. But the big winners is where the profit is. If you don't let your winners win it's hard to account for the losers and make a profit.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #103
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canopy at $66.66 as I type this, Aphria over $18. Seems today's hype is limited to these two right now. Everyone getting in before legislation?

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting Aphria and Aurora tracked pretty closely until mid August.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=fi...&wptab=COMPARE

I wonder why Aura isn't seeing a bump? Bargain to be had there?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #106
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Most stocks eventually to go zero, so while taking profits early can hurt in hind sight, profit is profit.

(I'm dumbing this down pretty severely, but if you self manage your portfolio by hand picking stocks and are making money at it, you are doing better than most)
This is probably true numerically, because there are so many garbage companies that don't have a real business out there. The best type for a buy and hold investor though is a company with a long term competitive advantage and a strong business plan. When those stop trading, it is often because they got bought out at a premium.

Buy and hold is a terrible idea if you're going to buy zero revenue mining/crypto/weed stocks, but if you bought the banks or disney (or constellation mentioned upthread) it's probably a reasonable plan.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #107
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Canopy up 15% today?

Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #108
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Profit of any kind is good but you have to remember you're also paying for the losers when you trade. I find that there are typically small winners and small losers that cancel each other out. But the big winners is where the profit is. If you don't let your winners win it's hard to account for the losers and make a profit.
Another problem with taking profits too early is that the company you are taking profits from is likely a much better company than the company you're putting your profits into. If you take profits from a company like Constellation Software, the likelihood of finding another company to invest in that is as well run/managed as Constellation is very low. Of course, I'm not advocating invest and forget. I'm advocating invest and stay invested if the story is still a good one. Multi-bagger returns only come with conviction, especially during volatile market conditions.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #109
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought into Constellation at $975. Just 3 shares but we'll see where this goes. Thanks for the recommendation.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #110
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speaking of weed stocks. I got into TGOD, The Green Organic Dutchman. Aurora Cannabis owns part of it and has options to own up to 50% or something like that. Could be a good one...............I hope anyway.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #111
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many of you guys just do index investing with etfs? I have no confidence in my stock picking ability so I just stick with a couch potato portfolio of xaw and xic etfs.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #112
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
How many of you guys just do index investing with etfs? I have no confidence in my stock picking ability so I just stick with a couch potato portfolio of xaw and xic etfs.
I pretty much just do vgro. I have a bit in a cdn mutual fund that I'll switch over one day. Interested in maybe putting a few thousand of play money into some stocks just don't have the confidence to do it.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #113
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Holy crap. Amarin Corp with a one day 315% jump. I jumped on too late ($9.80), but any body who had were long on this, are laughing ($2.99 open, $12.40 close today). Lots of great reports to invest further too, with high end projections of $30, with potential of buyout by the likes of a Pfizer (although that has been kiboshed by the CEO in the new report today)

As for who they are, pharmaceutical company that just released data that their 4 year program has proven results. Their fish oil medicine (Vascepa) has shown to reduce the risk of cardiovascular events like heart attacks or strokes by 25% in high risk patients, without side effects.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/24/amar...-in-trial.html

Last edited by manwiches; 09-24-2018 at 05:49 PM.
manwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #114
postman56
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any new stock one should follow?
postman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #115
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
I bought 2000 shares of Aurora at $7, hope it keeps going up!
I did some math the other day, I did OK on WEED.to and made maybe $10K-$15K on it by buying and selling taking small gains but if I would have held all shares I would have been up $350K...doh!

So I plan to keep all Aurora shares and if it tanks thats OK because I don't want to kick myself a 2nd time around.

Anyone else holding for the long term on weed stocks or are most buying and selling taking small gains?
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #116
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny watching bankers lose it over cannabis stocks. One told me to sell everything today because to achieve their current valuations every Canadian that ever lived would have had to smoke pot every day of their lives. It's funny cause that's just not how any of this works.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:35 PM   #117
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought recently to hold on Aurora, as I think they will be one of the major players coming out of the cannabis bubble. I don't plan on selling, and will hold on this til I retire pretty much.

I also bought HEXO Corp, and plan on holding. When they signed a deal with Molson to produce a cannabis infused drink, that solidified my idea of a hold. I've read some analysts think they are primed for a takeover eventually, due to them being a bit smaller, so whether I hold long or get bought on shares, I'll probably be happy.

For those concerned about cannabis stock, it's the same as the tech side, where it's a bit volatile, and also based a lot on speculation. Just don't over invest and diversify. Aurora and HEXO are my mains, but I stayed away from Tilray, even though the gains have been through the roof this past year. It seems to volatile for my liking, although I could very well have lost out... but I'm not buying at 114.50 now.
manwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #118
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
It's funny watching bankers lose it over cannabis stocks. One told me to sell everything today because to achieve their current valuations every Canadian that ever lived would have had to smoke pot every day of their lives. It's funny cause that's just not how any of this works.
"This isn't a bubble, it's different"

Signed:
Tulips 1637
Japan 1989
Tech 1999
Real Estate 2008
Oil also 2008
Crypto Currencies 2018
Weed ????
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #119
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not completely out of these stocks, but the reality is that it’s a commodity that has a good story right now. That’s got the potential to inflict a lot of pain for amateur investors at some point. And I don’t mean that as “I’m smart and they’re stupid”, but I see the flows going into these things and there’s a lot of retail buyers. Not all, but there are only a few investment funds with positions and a few ETFs. That’s not the type of investor that performs well behaviourally when things change.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #120
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had ACB for a bit now. It wasn't in the cents range but it's up a lot from when I bought. I've been following things closer recently and have wondered about an exit. I keep reminding myself this isn't just a Canada ploy, the Canadian companies have agreements with other countries and technology that doesn't necessarily require legalization. I don't have firm numbers but the pot smoking aspect is just a piece of the pie. It seems to be the one many people key in on though.

It's amazing the fluctuation from day to day. If you could hit things right you could do really well with the volatility. It's a tough game to play though I think.

I did recently purchase another stock with an eye to selling it after a short period of time as I thought there was good potential for immediate growth. I just sold it up 25% so I was right for a change. Zero bragging intended as I have a few skeletons in my investing closet where I did not make 25% and would have been happy now with a 25% loss. I've won on a couple of buys which have taken care of the bad loses but I sometimes wonder if I should have just bought mutuals and been happy with the usual 6-8% returns.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote