Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2019, 10:10 AM   #1821
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I haven’t like the only other FE I tried (Awakening, which also was critically acclaimed) and the trailers for this one haven’t done much for me. But thebgreat reviews have me intrigued, again.
I bought Fire Emblem Fates because of how well Awakening was received and the hype it was getting, but it was definitely not my type of game. I'm not going to make the same mistake here despite the reviews.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #1822
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I bought Fire Emblem Fates because of how well Awakening was received and the hype it was getting, but it was definitely not my type of game. I'm not going to make the same mistake here despite the reviews.
Yeah... maybe if there was a dearth of Switch software right now but I'm still playing Mario Maker and only halfway through DQ Builders 2. And September is a bonkers busy month for Switch games that's only a month away.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #1823
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... maybe if there was a dearth of Switch software right now but I'm still playing Mario Maker and only halfway through DQ Builders 2. And September is a bonkers busy month for Switch games that's only a month away.
And I bought Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 during the most recent eShop sale too...it's been nuts.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #1824
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If Awakening wasn't your thing, I doubt Three Houses will be any better for you. Though I'm sure EB Games will offer the $50 trade in credit guarantee on it, you could at worst "rent" the game for $30 for a month.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #1825
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm really fed up with the trend of releasing games and having DLC ready to go, its not DLC if it should have been included in the game.

I'm testing my hand at modding one of my switches tonight, no more DLC for me.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #1826
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Depends. If games like Fire Emblem or Ace Attorney want to offer bonus scenarios as DLC - even from launch day - I can't say I'm too concerned about it. Like it or not, developers and publishers are going to find ways to increase revenue despite being in an environment where the buying populace has resisted pricing changes to the point that games have been us$60 for decades now.

Not sure what the two parts of your second statement are meant to imply, unless you're basically bragging about engaging in piracy.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #1827
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Depends. If games like Fire Emblem or Ace Attorney want to offer bonus scenarios as DLC - even from launch day - I can't say I'm too concerned about it. Like it or not, developers and publishers are going to find ways to increase revenue despite being in an environment where the buying populace has resisted pricing changes to the point that games have been us$60 for decades now.

Not sure what the two parts of your second statement are meant to imply, unless you're basically bragging about engaging in piracy.
Its called experimenting not engaging. Its for science bro.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #1828
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the situation. DQ Builders 2 for example, all the DLC is "ready to go" because the game came out in Japan like 6 months ago and the DLC was developed and released at that point. By the time it came out here all the DLC was done -- so does that mean we should get all the DLC included just because it was a long translation time, or is it okay to still offer it for separate purchase?

Are you going to pirate DLC that's clearly been developed afterwards like the Smash Bros. characters? Cause that doesn't seem right.

Now, if content has clearly and deliberately been cut, and the game is lacking features that would normally be expected in order to sell them as DLC later, that is scummy. But I feel like there was enough backlash on that practice that it has all but disappeared in the last few years.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #1829
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Games are expensive to make and they're not getting more expensive to buy when prices are adjusted for inflation. I have no problem paying for extra DLC if the base game has enough content to justify its price. Three Houses is supposed to take an insane amount of time to complete so I think it's safe to say the DLC is entirely optional.

Microtransactions, however, can #### right off.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #1830
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Depends on the situation. DQ Builders 2 for example, all the DLC is "ready to go" because the game came out in Japan like 6 months ago and the DLC was developed and released at that point. By the time it came out here all the DLC was done -- so does that mean we should get all the DLC included just because it was a long translation time, or is it okay to still offer it for separate purchase?

Are you going to pirate DLC that's clearly been developed afterwards like the Smash Bros. characters? Cause that doesn't seem right.

Now, if content has clearly and deliberately been cut, and the game is lacking features that would normally be expected in order to sell them as DLC later, that is scummy. But I feel like there was enough backlash on that practice that it has all but disappeared in the last few years.
I like to test these mods out, most times its more of a hassle than just buying the games. Also even though its possible I wouldn't use it for online games either.

It took a lot of messing around but once I figured out how it works and got the proper software for my firmware it was flawless, the biggest advantage I'm enjoying is being able to play all of the cartridge games I own already without the carts. Even with all precautions I'm 99% sure that if I ever put it back to normal there would be some leftover logs or software that could get flagged and doubt this switch could be used legit again.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #1831
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dragon Quest Hero release date for Smash being announced tomorrow - obviously will be very soon (as soon as tomorrow evening). I'm excited for this new character! Love a reason to boot up Smash again.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #1832
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dragon Quest Hero release date for Smash being announced tomorrow - obviously will be very soon (as soon as tomorrow evening). I'm excited for this new character! Love a reason to boot up Smash again.
I haven't fired up Smash in so long, are these characters still part of the original extra DLC? Must be getting close to year 2 DLC
Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #1833
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I haven't fired up Smash in so long, are these characters still part of the original extra DLC? Must be getting close to year 2 DLC
All the original DLC. DQ Hero is only 2/5. Banjo-Kazooie is 3/5. Last two have yet to be revealed -- it was originally scheduled to have them all out by February 2020 so they're on schedule.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #1834
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
All the original DLC. DQ Hero is only 2/5. Banjo-Kazooie is 3/5. Last two have yet to be revealed -- it was originally scheduled to have them all out by February 2020 so they're on schedule.
Is Piranha Plant not considered the first DLC character?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #1835
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Piranha Plant not considered the first DLC character?
I mean, technically he is, but he's not a part of the 5-part "Fighter's Pass" DLC.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #1836
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually really liking Fire Emblem: Three Houses so far.

Best way to explain it so far is something I saw online which it that it's the best Harry Potter video game ever made.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8...intendo-switch

Could easily just change some names to Harry Potter characters and the game would feel fine in that lore.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-29-2019 at 01:09 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #1837
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
It's available today!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #1838
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's available today!
Waiting patiently...
Old 07-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #1839
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Waiting patiently...
Really cool character so far — even his base move set would’ve been pretty cool but they add in so many moves from the “Menu” that he’s super fun to use. Definitely an element of risk vs reward to take your eyes off the action for a second, judge what comes up in the menu, and pick what you want to go with. Snooze really throws people off! And I love the random critical hits you get. Really happy with this one so far.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #1840
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Actually really liking Fire Emblem: Three Houses so far.

Best way to explain it so far is something I saw online which it that it's the best Harry Potter video game ever made.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/26/8...intendo-switch

Could easily just change some names to Harry Potter characters and the game would feel fine in that lore.
Yeah, I played way too much Fire Emblem this weekend. I have always loved that series and have played every one of them that has come to the west. I cant find a better SRPG series for my money on any console.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote