Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #21
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Did anyone go into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters?
I'd say that some power converters would be worth...about...

...a third of a portion.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #22
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I really liked it, but I had a couple problems:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #24
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say that audiences are well trained for after credit scenes now. I'd estimate about 85% of the audience stuck around right until the very end.

It was weird seeing the opening with the Lucasfilm logo without the 20th Century Fox fanfare. The first paragraph of the opening crawl for this movie was about 1000% more interesting than everything written for the prequel crawls.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 12-17-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #26
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I really liked it, but I had a couple problems:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:42 AM   #28
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Very fun movie. Yeah there's fan service and some re-hashed plot points. But this movie gave us something that Star Wars hasn't had in a long time: heart. I'm really excited to see where they are going to go with this. But I have to say this:

Spoiler!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:51 AM   #29
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
hmmhmmcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hmmhmmcamo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #30
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=hmmhmmcamo;5549264]
Spoiler!

I'm using them out of courtesy, just in case someone accidentally clicks the wrong thread.

While walking out of the theater tonight I told my wife to not say a single word about the movie until we were in the car. Didn't want someone to hear a spoiler while on their way to see the movie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #31
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmhmmcamo View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 12-18-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:13 AM   #32
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Roast Beef; 12-18-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:41 AM   #33
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

So ####ing good!

I definitely agree about the cyclical nature of the franchise, I think that's kind of the whole point. Its a balance between the light and the dark side, and their reactionary forces against one another.

Loved it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

So good. Honestly my expectations were sky high after reading some of the impressions, and this exceeded those expectations.

Love letter to the original but IMO actually a better overall movie. The new trilogy is off to a great start.

Pretty happy that they left some reveals for Episode VIII and as previously mentioned they really brought the heart and emotion back into Star Wars.

Might be my favourite movie of the year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 AM   #35
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Okay! Time to dish my thoughts.

*reminder - this is the SPOILER thread*

I don't get the "felt too much like A New Hope" comments. I get the similarities, but they weren't really that blatant. I still 100% felt like I was watching something new. I mean these were brand new, VERY different characters, the antagonists are nothing like Darth/Sidious, and Finn and Rey are very much their own as well. New planets, new droid companion. Some recycled, but it really did not bother me in the slightest.

The big Solo scene was pretty emotional, not going to lie (blah bah, just like Obi-Wan's in ANH, yes we know). But IMO I felt it was acted a little over dramatically on Ford's part and that moment was kind of drawn out. It should've been a quicker "disposal", as if to almost NOT give Solo the respect he deserves, which would've made it all the more shocking and enraging. It does set Kylo apart in terms of his brutality, as even Vader wouldn't often do so to an unarmed enemy. And that was family, too.

One critic did say that much of the second half of the film felt like it came straight off of cue cards, which I kind of agree with. Definitely some unneeded exposition, like Poe's "as long as we do this before the sun sets!.." which was unnecessary. Not a huge complaint but a lot of it was too convenient to be believable. Finn crash landing within walking distance of Rey and BB-8. Millenium Falcon happening to be sitting there (although the "what? that garbage?" was absolutely hilarious), them flying straight into Solo 10 minutes after escaping. It felt like intentionally planted dominoes set up, like we were being walked through a planned route of SW exhibits or something.

Other things that bugged me. How did Hux find Kylo before the planet exploded? The heroes barely made it out in time. Did he even bother? I get the cliffhanger thing, but at least don't leave a gaping hole like that. If Kylo is magically fine and safe the next time we see him then it'll be a bit irritating seeing as there's no way Hux could've located him in time, so how could he get out? Also how did Kylo get ahead of Rey and Finn in the forest, practically already waiting for them, when he was far behind them minutes before? I mean it's seemingly minor things to be picky about, but at least keep the timing of things semi-believable.

Snoke looked awfully CGI'd, unfortunately, but then we saw it was just a hologram. Hopefully he looks glorious in person. Is he going to be that massive? That's pretty crazy. Any people feeling that he is in fact Darth Plagueis under a new title? That was never revealed. What is his origin? Would've been nice to know.

I felt that Poe was underused as he was probably the most charismatic of the leads. Already like him a lot! Han and Chewie had the best chemistry between all the characters, not surprisingly, though Finn and Rey seemed completely natural themselves.

Did Luke have to be standing on the edge of the cliff as if waiting that whole time? They should've had him cooped up in a cave or something, I think it would've been cooler. NONETHELESS, epic, epic final moment. Again, stupid question, but why would they send Rey, this newcomer they hardly know, to go after Luke, and not Leia herself, or someone with ties to him (that they're aware of)? Seems odd.

I don't fully like how quickly Rey discovered her powers and became adept in using them. Unless she is super, super powerful. She also had never touched a lightsaber before, how could she handle herself in a duel like that? Are we expected to chalk it all up to the Force? Perhaps...but it's a head scratcher. At least Luke had some guidance from Obi-Wan, even though his learning was pretty fast tracked too. I guess Kylo was somewhat of an amateur still as well.

AWESOME interesting fact: The stormtrooper guarding Rey who says "I'll tighten those restraints, you scavenger scum" and proceeds to be mind tricked = Daniel Craig!

All these things aside, I liked a lot of it. I liked the overall feel and aesthetic. It looked and felt like Star Wars. So it's not like I thought it was anywhere near terrible. Although a lot of little things bugged me for whatever reason.

Also anyone else think Rey and Kylo are cousins?

Last edited by ScorchyScorch; 12-18-2015 at 02:13 AM.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #36
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got out of the late show at chinook-

I enjoyed it, but maybe not as crazy about it as the critics seems to be- It felt less like Star Wars than any of the prequels, which was probably inevitable.

Main complaint- Kylo Ren, and the First Order in general, were just not scary or intimidating enough. Kylo Ren certainly doesn't need to be invincible like Vader was right from the beginning, but there was just very little about the new villains that made you fear them the way the empire did right from the beginning of episode 4. Obviously we all expect this to change in the sequels as Kylo Ren gets more of the training they referenced at the end.

And although Leia was pretty dull and a big disappointment, I really like the new heros.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #37
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Loved the movie and everything it sets up going forward. And that's what it is....set-up. Establishes what's going on in the universe, introduces the key players and gets everything going. Great effects, good acting. Action, action & action mixed in with moments of real emotion (especially Han/Leia).

It was great seeing Han, Leia & Chewie again. And the Falcon. Best. Ship. Ever.

And the "tantrums" that Kylo Ren throws at various times.....hilarious and perfectly show how unstable he is.

Biggest problem I had is that there were so many people to introduce, they didn't have time to do a lot of folks justice....especially the bad guys.

Some examples: General Hux had a few scenes and he's basically Hitler. Okay.
Captain Phasma, we're told, is this kick butt special stormtrooper and I've read things that say she's awesome. She's only in what.....3 or 4 scenes? And the most notable thing she does is get clobbered by Chewie. I hope she gets more screen time in Ep 8 so we can see what she can do.
Snoke is the big bad guy but he's only in 3 or 4 quick scenes as a hologram. It's implied that he's huge & he's obviously powerful but we just don't see him do anything.
Maz Kanata is interesting and clearly knows a lot.....but she has such little screen time.
Luke - I understand why they did what they did with him and obviously he'll play a much bigger role in Ep 8. Still, I wanted to see a little bit more about him.

They're all cool characters (well, except for maybe Hux), but I would've loved to have had a bit more development.

Last edited by dakeyras; 12-18-2015 at 02:00 AM.
dakeyras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dakeyras For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 AM   #38
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was able to sneak in a viewing in a mostly-empty theatre, which I thought was great.

Overall, I really liked it. I had wondered about BB8, but found him amusing.

Did anyone else catch the Indiana Jones reference-ish with Ford?

I could see Han's death coming as soon as he stepped out onto that bridge (after first asking myself why they always build something like that in, in the first place!)

I have some problems with the final fight, too. It looked good, visually, but I have problems with someone with Ren's purported level of Force control getting that easily jacked by someone who has NEVER even HELD a lightsaber before in addition to just coming into her Force power. And a lightsaber and a staff are two very different weapons. Don't believe me? Train in using a staff then pick up a sword.

Ren's going to get some cybernetics, for sure. Didn't Rey cut his hand off? Which, thinking about it, is one of the fastest and best ways to end a fight with a lightsaber wielding Jedi.

My opinion's probably colored by the fact that I never really felt that Ren was much more than a whiny nobody. General Hux doesn't give a fig about him, the troopers around him seem ho-hum to him. When he loses his temper he breaks THINGS, not people. Just...didn't get the vibe/fear/feeling off of him that I did off of Vader, who menaced and oozed evil every second he was on the screen in the first two.

I was also kinda disappointed, after the buildup, of how little Captain Phasma was used. I hope we see more of her. Or that a Director's Cut reveals why she got a big PR push beyond trying to suck in Game of Thrones fans.

The X-Wing/Tie Fighter fight...glorious!

Rey's gonna have to watch that temper. Or she'll get a fast track to the Dark side.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 AM   #39
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I must have misunderstood the initial scene with Luke's lightsaber completely.

Didn't Maz specifically say that the force is very strong in the Skywalker family, followed by reciting it's occurrence in Darth Vader, Luke, and now Rey?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:03 AM   #40
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Certainly Understand the comparisons to Episode IV. Loved it, was so much fun.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote