Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:
Default BattleStar Galactica - SPOILER WARNING

Sooooo....

I couldn't find any threads about BSG. Maybe nobody wants to talk about it. I sure do, but not with all the 14 year olds who clog the Sci Fi sites.

Anyway, did any of you notice that all the Cylons are played by Canadian actors? So if you were to guess whether or not someone was a cylon, you just look on IMDB at where they are from (one dude was born in England, but was raised in Canada - I count him as Canadian) and draw your own conclusion.

Also - THE SHOW BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't watch the show so I don't know what Cylons are but the show is filmed in Canada. So that explains all the hired help being Canadian.

I will say though that Grace Park is hot!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #3
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

The mini-series DVD from 2003 has a voice-over version of the producers and directors talking about the local talent they picked up on the Canadian side.

Its not just Cylons . . . . Colonel Tigh is a Canadian, , Chief Tyrell is a Canadian, Lieutenant Gaeta is a Canadian . . . . of course, they might be Cylons too so who knows.

Here, knock yourself out with some serious stuff.

The New York Times with a six pager on Battlestar from yesterday's paper, the re-invention of the Sci-fi genre as modern social commentary:

The New York Times

An interesting feature titled "How Battlestar Galactica killed Broadcast TV"

http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html

And Beliefnet.com with an in-depth look at the religious overtones of Galactica

“I think that the clash between a polytheistic culture and a monotheistic enemy helps to moderate somewhat the parallel that the show seems to draw with the current conflict between the Western world and Islamic fundamentalism,” says a reader on Televisionwithoutpity.com’s message boards. “By giving the Cylons the 'good' kind of religion and the humans the 'backward' kind, it makes the parallel less clunky and simplistic.”

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/166/story_16633_1.html

The homepage below - beware of spoilers as season 2 has already started in the USA on Sci-fi

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

Cowperson
Old 07-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Flashpoint

Exp:

Canada hasn't started season 2 yet? I didn't know that. I am in Texas, so I will not spoil anything. It started here last friday.

And holy shinguard was it good!

-Bax
Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Flashpoint@Jul 19 2005, 09:07 PM
Canada hasn't started season 2 yet? I didn't know that. I am in Texas, so I will not spoil anything. It started here last friday.

And holy shinguard was it good!
Season 2 will start in Canada in, I think, October with 20 straight episodes.

In the USA, you'll see ten episodes, then a break with repeats, then another ten episodes.

So we'll probably catch up to you in November.

I think the season one DVD is out fairly soon but season one will be repeated in Canada in late August, early September.

Cowperson
Old 07-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #6
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know when the DVDs for season 1 will come out in Canada? I looked on Amazon.ca but they don't have them listed.

A friend on mine is a regular in season 2 so I'm going to start watching, but I'd like to catch up on the plot and characters before it starts.

Edit: Never mind, saw Cow's answer
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Flashpoint

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F@Jul 19 2005, 04:19 PM
Anyone know when the DVDs for season 1 will come out in Canada? I looked on Amazon.ca but they don't have them listed.

A friend on mine is a regular in season 2 so I'm going to start watching, but I'd like to catch up on the plot and characters before it starts.

Edit: Never mind, saw Cow's answer
Who is he/she? I mean character-wise? That is pretty cool!

Also - thanks very much for the articles CP! Those are all really great reads.

As to the question of Canadians being Cylons (or vice versa), it was the fact that the characters who (prima facie at least) are NOT Cylons are NOT Canadian, and all the actors who play Cylons ARE Canadian that tipped me off. I mean, if Captain Adama (sp?) was a Cylon, why would they want to shoot him? Why not just exterminate the Galactica in episode 1 (other than the fact you wouldn't have a show)? Ditto for Lee, Starbuck, and cancerous El Presidante.

As for Gaeta, Tyrell, and Tigh - one could reasonably speculate they ALL could be sleeper Cylons - given their lesser roles in the show.

Well maybe not Tigh. The booze would rust his innards.

-Bax
Old 07-19-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

You guys have peaked my interest, I watched BSG as a kid, but this sounds nothing like the old version... sleeper cylons?!? It would have pretty tough to disguise a cylon (or is it centurion) in the old series. I just haven't seen the channel it is on? Space?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by MolsonInBothHands@Jul 19 2005, 10:33 PM
You guys have peaked my interest, I watched BSG as a kid, but this sounds nothing like the old version... sleeper cylons?!? It would have pretty tough to disguise a cylon (or is it centurion) in the old series. I just haven't seen the channel it is on? Space?
Unfortunately, in Canada, its not on anywhere right now but will re-appear with season one re-runs in probably late August followed by the 20 episode season two in the Fall.

In the USA, it's on Sci-Fi Channel where season two started last week.

I think the season one DVD will be out shortly, maybe later this month or early next month.

A season one primer in USA Today:

Sex, religion, politics, suicide bombers and torture are not topics always associated with science fiction, but Battlestar Galactica is not your usual sci-fi show.

The show has quickly gained fan and critical acclaim. Time magazine this week proclaimed Battlestar one of the six best dramas on TV today. TV Guide called it "24 in space."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...attlestar_x.htm

Character descriptions from season one USA Today article:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...ar-lineup_x.htm

So . . . . if you want to wait and watch season one, then you might not want to read some of the spoilers contained below:

A little primer from USA Today from last week leading into Season Two:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...attlestar_x.htm

Boston Globe article from a few days ago leading into Season Two:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/ar...ere_we_are_now/

Episode guide, characters, synopsis, etc, at the home page . . .

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

I mean, if Captain Adama (sp?) was a Cylon, why would they want to shoot him? Why not just exterminate the Galactica in episode 1 (other than the fact you wouldn't have a show)? Ditto for Lee, Starbuck, and cancerous El Presidante.

Actually, this is about the third time they've tried to kill Adama. The cylon at Ragnar Anchorage in the pilot mini-series and then the cylon wearing a suicide bomber vest who blew himself up.

Adama seems to want to settle on Kobol while the religious fanatic president wants to move on to Earth. There's a conflict and perhaps the cylons favour one agenda over the other. Some cylons, but maybe not all, might want to keep this little remaining band of humanity alive as the "next step in God's Plan," a human/cylon race while others might want to exterminate the last of humanity.

Lots of stuff going on and not a lot of it is clear but its certainly interesting following the twists and turns. The season finale last year was jaw-dropping.

Cowperson
Old 07-19-2005, 06:09 PM   #10
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Flashpoint@Jul 19 2005, 03:19 PM
Who is he/she? I mean character-wise? That is pretty cool!
She plays a pilot named Racetrack -- she was in the final episode of Season 1, and has filmed 8 or 9 episodes for Season 2 so far.

For those interested in the DVD's, apparently Best Buy has the exclusive right to distribute the UK version of Season 1 in North America starting July 26.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #11
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F+Jul 20 2005, 12:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike F @ Jul 20 2005, 12:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Flashpoint@Jul 19 2005, 03:19 PM
Who is he/she?# I mean character-wise?# That is pretty cool!
She plays a pilot named Racetrack -- she was in the final episode of Season 1, and has filmed 8 or 9 episodes for Season 2 so far.

For those interested in the DVD's, apparently Best Buy has the exclusive right to distribute the UK version of Season 1 in North America starting July 26. [/b][/quote]
She was pretty good in various states of panic and indecision in the season-ending finale . . . . . and, I might add, pretty damn hot in that flight suit in the final frames.

Cowperson
Old 07-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson@Jul 19 2005, 08:04 PM
Oops. . . . was that a spoiler?
That's pretty mean CP
Old 07-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F+Jul 20 2005, 03:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mike F @ Jul 20 2005, 03:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cowperson@Jul 19 2005, 08:04 PM
Oops. . . . was that a spoiler?
That's pretty mean CP [/b][/quote]
Hmmm . . . . you're right. Sorry, I thought you were up on the plot at least via your friend.

My apologies.

I'll alter the post above so the plot line isn't revealted to others.

Cowperson
Old 07-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
Flashpoint

Exp:

She is grade A cute for sure.

Good to know she doesn't get bumped off right away! Not a spoiler because maybe she DOES get bumped off right away and appears in a series of flashbacks.

-Bax
Old 07-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Flashpoint

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson@Jul 19 2005, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately, in Canada, its not on anywhere right now but will re-appear with season one re-runs in probably late August followed by the 20 episode season two in the Fall.
It is a good thing none of you guys are software pirates. If you were, you could just download the episodes from Season to from Bit Torrent. Of course that would be wrong.

-Bax
Old 07-20-2005, 02:34 PM   #16
Flashpoint

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowperson@Jul 19 2005, 06:03 PM
Actually, this is about the third time they've tried to kill Adama. The cylon at Ragnar Anchorage in the pilot mini-series and then the cylon wearing a suicide bomber vest who blew himself up.

Adama seems to want to settle on Kobol while the religious fanatic president wants to move on to Earth. There's a conflict and perhaps the cylons favour one agenda over the other. Some cylons, but maybe not all, might want to keep this little remaining band of humanity alive as the "next step in God's Plan," a human/cylon race while others might want to exterminate the last of humanity.

Lots of stuff going on and not a lot of it is clear but its certainly interesting following the twists and turns. The season finale last year was jaw-dropping.

Cowperson
HERE BE (1st season) SPOILERS! PASS AT YER PERIL.

I completely agree that the finale for season one was "jaw droppingly good". The number of unexpected twists totally blew me away. From the Adama coup d'etat, to his shooting on the bridge, to the chief getting blown out of the sky over Kobal. The amount of thought that went into the setup for the start of the second season just one of the reasons I figure this is one of the best dramas on TV - sci fi or otherwise.

The machinations of the Cylons is one of the great attractions to the show. We have them seeming to want to exterminate mankind, but at the same time behaving so strangely in isolated instances. They appear to feel the need to be loved, and at times more curious than malicious. Yet, are they driving the humans somewhere, or is it just a murderous pursuit?

-Bax
Old 07-20-2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Its going to be hard to have a non-spoiler board discussion on this with some people having never seen season one, others who have seen the first season but not the second and yet more who are watching the second season.

By the way, Ensign Ro from Star Trek and Lucy (Xena) Lawless apparently make appearances in season two. . . . .

I'm a fan of old style "pulp" science fiction of the Ben Bova/Isaac Asimov kind, which Battlestar fits nicely into in a modern kind of way.

I haven't even seen the last two Star Wars and last few Star Trek movies and don't watch Stargate or Andromeda. Just not my thing.

Cowperson
Old 07-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #18
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

OUCH!!!

Battlestar Galactica (Season Two) has its Canadian Television Premiere exclusively on SPACE starting on Saturday, January 14th, 2006 at 8pm EST with a repeat Sundays at 6pm EST. Season Two will air for 20 weeks in this timeslot. The series finale is schedule to air on Saturday, May 27th and Sunday, May 28th on SPACE.

Full schedule for repeat of season one in this release as well:

http://community.spacecast.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic;f=1;t=010948

Naturally, this is driving people crazy. 2006?

http://community.spacecast.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic;f=1;t=010924

There's alwasy bit torrent I guess.

Cowperson
Old 08-18-2005, 10:07 PM   #19
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Weird,

my brother dropped of the mini series about 2 months ago, didn't think much of it and let it sit in my CD wallet.

Was bored, watched episodes 1 - 9 of the 4400 in a night and still wanted more, so I popped in this mini series. I thought it was adromedra or something else, had never heard of it, remembered this thread and thought hey, I'll give it a try. Wow what a mistake, sooo good!! I finished the mini-series and went straight to my favorite torrent site and have since caught up to #5 season 2. So many wasted but enjoyed hours

Great Show,

And model 6 is sooo hot!!!
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #20
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally posted by Wookie@Aug 19 2005, 04:07 AM
Weird,

my brother dropped of the mini series about 2 months ago, didn't think much of it and let it sit in my CD wallet.

Was bored, watched episodes 1 - 9 of the 4400 in a night and still wanted more, so I popped in this mini series. I thought it was adromedra or something else, had never heard of it, remembered this thread and thought hey, I'll give it a try. Wow what a mistake, sooo good!! I finished the mini-series and went straight to my favorite torrent site and have since caught up to #5 season 2. So many wasted but enjoyed hours

Great Show,

Unfortunately, it appears I can't do the bit torrent thing at the office or at home (way too slow on the rural phone lines) so I'm hooped.

UK and Australia are also waiting into 2006 to see season two as well with a lot of

And model 6 is sooo hot!!!

Model 6 is actually a farm girl from Donalda, Alberta believe it or not. . . . .

Cowperson