Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #1041
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'll try to answer your questions, based on what we know

Spoiler!
It's crazy how much of this stuff the average person who just watches the movies doesn't know. Where in the eff is all this extra info coming from? Star Wars books?

I'm not pointing any fingers at you Cap'n but I'd love to write a piece of #### screenplay and have other story universe experts and millions of nerdy fanboy apologists plug all the holes for me after the fact.

Some of the stuff people come up with to defend a mediocre movie is really impressive even by star wars fan standards.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #1042
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I've always said that novelisations should expand and enhance an already coherent story. If you need a novel to fill in plot holes you are doing it wrong.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #1043
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
It's crazy how much of this stuff the average person who just watches the movies doesn't know. Where in the eff is all this extra info coming from? Star Wars books?

I'm not pointing any fingers at you Cap'n but I'd love to write a piece of #### screenplay and have other story universe experts and millions of nerdy fanboy apologists plug all the holes for me after the fact.

Some of the stuff people come up with to defend a mediocre movie is really impressive even by star wars fan standards.
A lot of it comes from the other books and source material that's been written.

The Aftermath books were frankly pretty bad, but they filled in how the First Order first formed. The Battlefront 2 game solo story with Infernal Squad was a big source.

Other books filled other stuff in.

I agree, the novel was needed to fill in too many plot points, and there was to me a major disconnection between the first movie and the second movie, that's actually very jarring.

I would expect that there will be more books and comics that fill in the blanks as well.

The one thing that I did like about the PT, is that for all of the dialogue problems, the story was pretty comprehensive in terms of the fall of the jedi and the republic.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #1044
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I'm about 3/4 of the way through the novelization of the movie by Jason Fry. When I talk about Revenge of the Sith, I always tell people to read the book, because its amazingly well written and connects with the character and improves the story and especially the seduction of Anakin.

I'm kind of feeling the same way about Fry's book. Jason Fry is pretty well known in the Star Wars universe, he writes for insider, and has written several of the essential guide books.

He's done a unique spin on the ROTS novel which would have sections called "This is what its like to be" where a you would see the world through a main characters eyes. Fry has done that in this novel as you see things from a "certain point of view" throughout the book, from Rey to Luke to Snoke to Kylo Ren.

What's also been done in this novel is that they've added several things into the story line that actually help the story become better and more emotionally impactful.

So Spoilers ahead

About Luke

Spoiler!

Rose and her sister

Spoiler!

Ackbar's point of view

Spoiler!

Leia and Han

Spoiler!

The really big star ship

Spoiler!

Snoke

Spoiler!

Luke's a bastard

Spoiler!

I'll finish this when I finish the book.
I picked up the Blu-Ray last night and the Luke/Rey joke you mention is actually a deleted scene!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:48 AM   #1045
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I wasn't referring to fan fiction. There is a 3 year gap between ANH and ESB. During that time Han and Leia have been holed up together in small rebel bases for much of that time. We aren't told what has happened to them, but obviously they've had some kind of interaction.
Yeah I'm going to go ahead and call this fan fiction.

[QUOTE]You can obviously interpret the interaction in the ESB a number of ways. However, it's pretty clear that the main intention of the writers was to show that both parties were engaging each other with insults in a way that wouldn't make sense unless there was some kind of emotion between the two. I also disagree with your assumption that Leia just gave in. It was fairly obvious that she had feelings all along. You're saying that despite being one of the most powerful people in the galaxy, she was actually being abused by Han and only gave in when she was too worn down? And then she continued a relationship with him for many years after?[\quote]

Yes it's obvious what the writers were going for, but what they were going for was this really problematic idea that women just won't admit they're into bad boys unless pushed hard enough, and that on general it's not only okay but super romantic to keep ignoring the woman when se he says "no" if you think you know that she doesn't mean it.

In other words what they were going for is not great, and being that it's a major plot development in the movie it's definitely a black mark on the movie. It's also not just that the romance isn't great, Leias character in general is relegated from the buttkicking leader she was in the first movie to Hans love interest and something pretty for Lando to fawn over.

It's just one of those things that gets looked over because people don't watch the films as they are on their own, but instead fill them up with ideas and developments that are not actually in the film.

Or to put it in really simple words: the romance in TESB is still bad even if they later fix it in ROTJ and TFA.

Last edited by Itse; 03-29-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #1046
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

[QUOTE=Itse;6636631]Yeah I'm going to go ahead and call this fan fiction.

Quote:
You can obviously interpret the interaction in the ESB a number of ways. However, it's pretty clear that the main intention of the writers was to show that both parties were engaging each other with insults in a way that wouldn't make sense unless there was some kind of emotion between the two. I also disagree with your assumption that Leia just gave in. It was fairly obvious that she had feelings all along. You're saying that despite being one of the most powerful people in the galaxy, she was actually being abused by Han and only gave in when she was too worn down? And then she continued a relationship with him for many years after?[\quote]

Yes it's obvious what the writers were going for, but what they were going for was this really problematic idea that women just won't admit they're into bad boys unless pushed hard enough, and that on general it's not only okay but super romantic to keep ignoring the woman when se he says "no" if you think you know that she doesn't mean it.

In other words what they were going for is not great, and being that it's a major plot development in the movie it's definitely a black mark on the movie. It's also not just that the romance isn't great, Leias character in general is relegated from the buttkicking leader she was in the first movie to Hans love interest and something pretty for Lando to fawn over.

It's just one of those things that gets looked over because people don't watch the films as they are on their own, but instead fill them up with ideas and developments that are not actually in the film.

Or to put it in really simple words: the romance in TESB is still bad even if they later fix it in ROTJ and TFA.
I find your interpretation of Leia to be extremely sexist. You're taking a woman of extreme mental fortitude and extreme wit and reducing her to Han Solo's pawn. Leia was in total control of that situation.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM   #1047
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think we're kind of judging a 1980 romance story line to modern times.

Back then strong woman were a oddity, basically in the movies, Men treated woman like crap, pushed them against the wall, over powered them with men scent and hi-karate, and the woman fell hopelessly in love.

This was basically an anti-romance between two strong willed people, and because of that it was kind of odd that Solo melted her ice heart.

I mean in 1980, I'm pretty sure that if you asked the average woman what her fantasy was, she'd reply "I want a man who's a man, that will take charge, and after he pushes me up against the wall and takes me, I'm more then happy to make him a Samwhich."

So that's how you have to judge Leia Solo, it was a battle of dominance, Leia was the wild mustang who couldn't be tamed
If that movie was made today, or Casblanca, or gone with the wind, they'd be pretty much universally panned.

Scarlett O'Hara would have picked up a knife, told Rhett Butler, that it was time to kick some ass, and that she didn't give a damn if he was there when she got back from winning the civil war, but dang nabbit the house better be spotless.

In ESB, basically Leia would have enforced that she's in charge and if Solo didn't like it then the airlock is over there, but in the meantime drop them pants and come to mama, and afterwards clean this ship up its gross. Then we flash to the next morning where Han is crying at breakfast and Chewie is looking embarrassed, and Leia is smoking a herbal cigarette.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-29-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: fixed inapropriate remark
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #1048
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think we're kind of judging a 1980 romance story line to modern times.

Back then strong woman were a oddity, basically in the movies, Men treated woman like crap, pushed them against the wall, over powered them with men scent and hi-karate, and the woman fell hopelessly in love.

This was basically an anti-romance between two strong willed people, and because of that it was kind of odd that Solo melted her ice heart.

I mean in 1980, I'm pretty sure that if you asked the average woman what her fantasy was, she'd reply "I want a man who's a man, that will take charge, and after he pushes me up against the wall and takes me, I'm more then happy to make him a Samwhich."

So that's how you have to judge Leia Solo, it was a battle of dominance, Leia was the wild mustang who couldn't be tamed until Solo broke her and rode her around the falcon (sorry couldn't resist).

If that movie was made today, or Casblanca, or gone with the wind, they'd be pretty much universally panned.

Scarlett O'Hara would have picked up a knife, told Rhett Butler, that it was time to kick some ass, and that she didn't give a damn if he was there when she got back from winning the civil war, but dang nabbit the house better be spotless.

In ESB, basically Leia would have enforced that she's in charge and if Solo didn't like it then the airlock is over there, but in the meantime drop them pants and come to mama, and afterwards clean this ship up its gross. Then we flash to the next morning where Han is crying at breakfast and Chewie is looking embarrassed, and Leia is smoking a herbal cigarette.
Please try harder to resist.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #1049
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

We could also look at it from Han's perspective.

She pretends she doesn't care about him, even though he knows she does. She lies to him when he attempts to express his feelings for her (albeit poorly by accusing her of wanting him to stay because of the way she feels about him). She kisses his friend in front of him. And really is just kind of a straight up B to him through 1.5 movies, seemingly because of their class difference. Let's not forget that she likely has a huge hang up on the fact that she's royalty and he's a criminal.

It's only viewed as Han being aggressive and Leia finally giving in if you don't think that Leia actually had feelings for him in the first place, which she obviously did. I think Leia's character was proven strong enough at that point that the audience knows she wouldn't have let him be that way with her if she didn't want it to happen.

It's also not like Han slams her into a wall and shoves his tongue down her throat. Yes he blocks her path, and his body language is obvious, but his moves are slow and calm. And again, the subtext of them flirting since pretty much the first time they spoke to each other makes it more romantic and relieving than pushy or aggressive.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #1050
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well. That got fairly dark in a hurry.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote