Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 AM   #41
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

(1) Did not waste picks and prospects on players that wouldn't have sufficiently moved the needle.

(2) didn't take on term for garbage players, which means lots of cap space next season

(3) Put flames in position to make a playoff run if the team gets hot.

(4) Now has five NHL quality UFA defensemen and only needs to get one under contract for next season.

Lots of flexibility in the off-season to use cap space and picks and prospects to get a franchise RW or franchise center.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 AM   #42
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Light 3.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:23 AM   #43
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really wanted him to get a forward, but he didn’t give up our 1st and 2nd rounder.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 AM   #44
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pros:
-Kept the 1st and 2nd round picks
-The players they picked up make sense considering the injury situation

Cons:
-Needlessly bled assets for rentals who don't move the needle, again
-Didn't address the forwards at all
-Got nothing for pending UFAs

Overall, a solid 4/10, which is fair considering that avoiding disaster is a spectacularly low bar. Could've been a lot worse, but I think these status quo deadlines without any clear direction are one of several reasons we're constantly spinning our wheels in no man's land.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 02-25-2020 at 03:09 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:44 AM   #45
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm giving it a 6/10.

The Flames were not in a good situation to make deals either way. Trading Brodie would have meant throwing away the season symbolically, and that would have soured a lot of players and fans.

The guys they brought in are intriguing, they address needs, didn't cost much and one or both might end up signing here in the summer. Gustafsson has potential to be a steal even.

That said, it was nothing to get excited about either.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #46
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team isn't good enough and they've shown that. He didn't do anything to really help the team in it's biggest area of need (scoring). He added more D which would have been ok if he would have done what he should have done, trade Brodie. Part of me is happy he didn't pay the prices other teams paid for some of the guys available but after seeing other teams pay so much, I think he should have sold what he could so other teams would have paid that to the Flames.

I think things could change at the draft if bigger changes are made but he won't be able to cash in on Brodie's value, that would have been another first round pick. Talbot could have been another early pick. Who knows what else could have been but all we can do is hope for what will be at this point.

At least they didn't give up a first or a second but the third will hurt if that guy doesn't turn out or stay.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:26 AM   #47
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, maybe right. My point is that I don’t think they lost his present value by not moving him now as opposed to when he’s healthy after the season.

Since teams now have a week to talk to players prior to July 1, no one will give up a 4th to get negotiating rights for a player like Hamonic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:40 AM   #48
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Getting a forward would have made the rating better especially considering how little Trochek went for.

The prices were nuts though so I understand.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #49
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

One, at best. Treliving’s job is to make the team better and manage our assets so we have some level of organizational sustainability. Under Treliving he has done very little to improve the team or address needs during the course of the season. He’s shown a propensity to swing for the fences in the off season, but does sweet #### all in changing course during the season when weaknesses become obvious. This was just another deadline deal where needs were not addressed.

When I judge Treliving’s performance at the “deadline” I’m looking at a much larger window. To me the deadline window opens at All Star break, and that’s when the dealing starts. All teams know their strengths and weaknesses and you make deals based on those situations. Treliving knew we needed another scoring forward and failed to get that done. He knew he had some expiring contracts that had some good value and failed to make deals while he could. He then bled assets at bring in more players on expiring contracts which didn’t address a single gaping hole in the system. He went to market with a shopping list that told him we need eggs, milk, and butter, and he brought home canned ham that expires in 60 days, when the pantry already has several cans of expiring canned ham. This was just a big failure all around.

I think this won’t sink in with people until the Flames miss the playoffs or get humiliated again in the first round and we’re left to pour through the ashes of yet another failed season under Brad Treliving. When were left to look at what lies ahead and see we have more UFAs on the blueline than we do signed players who played 10 games for the club. We will have three signed blue liners for next season, and a whole bunch of nothing to show for the others. We’ll still have the exact same problems as we did but with less assets to work with.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 06:14 AM   #50
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Failure to sell assets when everyone and their dog knows we’re not going 5 games into the playoffs. Organization is content with first round playoff mediocrity every year in order to ensure some playoff $. Sucks to be a fan of this club.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #51
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the folks in here thinking opinions will change at the draft. Are you stupid? Have you not been following this club during this millennium? Very likely we get a middling pick who our gm decides to reach on or we’re sold on the idea of trading down for more picks. Then we’ll lose 3/4 ufas on our back end for nothing.

Expect disappointment
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #52
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

5 or 6

+

Didn't do anything stupid like spend first rounders

-

Didn't get a "hockey deal" done like the Trocheck one.

Adding UFA depth pieces to a roster that isn't a minor move away from winning anything seems like a waste of picks

Losing Brodie for nothing stings
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #53
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

They did a nice job addressing defensive depth but nothing up front. It looks like they could have acquired Trocheck based on the price (who knows maybe Tallon has tunnel vision on one of the mediocre players he acquired). Considering Trocheck literally checked all the boxes the Flames were looking for I am disappointed they didn’t go more aggressively at him.

Had the Flames picked him up in a similar deal the Canes made then it would have been a 9 day for me. I also docked them a point for going into the deadline e with 2 high profile UFA Dmen. Poor asset management left them little choice but to keep their own rentals with risk of losing/overpaying this summer.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #54
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a 4 for me. A 10 would’ve been pick a direction buy/sell and make good value deals. The Flames decided to keep the status quo for this trade deadline. Essentially they pushed trades of changing the core of this team to the off-season. It’s not bad in itself, but gaining more assets before the offseason would’ve been key to building a good team next season. So far I only have more questions as a result. Hopefully the team will have enough data to come up with a game plan before the draft.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:11 AM   #55
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I was very unhappy initially because the optics of acquiring yet another depth defenseman from the Kings, but I've grown to appreciate a bit how Forbort and Gustafsson can add different dimensions with their games.

If we can get 2014-15 Wideman and Engelland here... I like the sound of that.

Still, I'm not super psyched at the prospect of losing a bunch of guys in UFA, but as dino7c said, it's nice to keep the top 2 picks.

I give it a very conflicted 5 out of 10. I do wish they'd added a forward, though.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

9. Excellent job by Tre, he addressed the needs of the team currently without paying a big price and he didn't sell for picks which would have set this team into full rebuild mode all over again. Instead he has given his group a chance to get into the dance and redeem themselves. I still think we need an actual coach but that will have to wait until the offseason. Great job Tre!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:21 AM   #57
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year they ended up first in the conference only to get beat convincingly in the first round.

This year they will be in tough to make the playoffs and if they do will be the proverbial underdog.

Probably same results but at least the letdown won't be as bad.
If they do make it out of the first round, we will celebrate.

Glad we didn't waste anything along the lines of picks, salary cap money etc. for the same results but not as bad of a feeling.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:26 AM   #58
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

ll is great if they sign Hall in the off-season. It would really lessen the sting if they lose Hamonic and Brodie for nothing.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #59
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

8. I like the low cost acquisitions. It seems like the flames are scoring again and defence clearly needed some help with injuries and with the performance of some this year. I think this will help reduce the special teams time for Giordano, which will allow him to play more minutes against the other teams top lines. Gustafson also brings a one timer on the PP that the flames (though the forwards try) don’t really have at the moment. Forbot has experience playing with the “4th forward” and seems like a great fit to play with Gustafsson. With him able to play on the P.K. it also the third pairing to play more of a special teams role and it will allow the 1st and 2nd pair get more minutes 5 on5.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #60
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll go a 6. Certainly wasn't helped by late injuries and the division being what it is.

I wonder if there was anything we could've done to get in on trocheck but other than that, I wasn't a fan of the prices being paid, especially in a strong draft.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote