Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Rating out of 10 : Flames Deadline
0 3 0.98%
1 8 2.61%
2 9 2.93%
3 33 10.75%
4 25 8.14%
5 51 16.61%
6 77 25.08%
7 73 23.78%
8 23 7.49%
9 1 0.33%
10 4 1.30%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #181
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s almost like Treliving knew what he was doing.

Last edited by Dajazz; 02-26-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #182
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think the players we added will not make a difference in whether this team makes the playoffs, how well they do in the playoffs if they make it nor will they re-sign either as a UFA. So, probably they just burned a couple picks for nothing.
N=1 is not enough, but for the first time in a long time things on D looked pretty solid out there. We have to wait and see
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #183
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 Rate 2020 Trade Deadline:

I would've loved an impact forward for Brodie or Hamonic, perhaps Giordano is swapped for one at the draft.

I like the new D, they'll be part of the squad next season I presume. 7/10

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - ______ - Tkachuk
Dubé - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett

Hanifin - Andersson
Välimäki - Gustafsson
Forbort - Kylington

Rittich
Zagidulin

Call-ups: Phillips, Gawdin, Lerby, Yelesin
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #184
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Giordano won't be on the team? ^

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #185
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I would've loved an impact forward for Brodie or Hamonic, perhaps Giordano is swapped for one at the draft.

I like the new D, they'll be part of the squad next season I presume. 7/10

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - ______ - Tkachuk
Dubé - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Bennett

Hanifin - Andersson
Välimäki - Gustafsson
Forbort - Kylington

Rittich
Zagidulin

Call-ups: Phillips, Gawdin, Lerby, Yelesin
No. No, he will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #186
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do people keep bringing up Hamonic... nobody is gonna trade for a UFA that might be done for the season
Old 02-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #187
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why do people keep bringing up Hamonic... nobody is gonna trade for a UFA that might be done for the season
Yeah any conversations about trading Hamonic ended the moment he got placed on IR. I don't think Treliving would have traded him anyway as supposedly he's the defensmen they have had ongoing contract discussions with as Brodie was the defenseman they were shopping. It appears Brodie and the team are prepared to go their separate ways at the end of the season.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 PM   #188
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 for deadline day because he kept the first and second and didn’t really lose any trades.

3 for overall asset management though. We keep trading 3rds and 4ths, which are exactly the players that get drafted in 3rds and 4ths! Flames scouting has been solid through the middle rounds and yet we keep dumping picks for rental players. Brodie. Sign him or trade him. Period. This should have been done as soon as last draft. Same with Hamonic. Treliving better know how much each player is asking for. Don’t like it? Trade them. Like it? Sign them. Why wait until the deadline?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #189
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I initially gave it a 3 but upon reflection think perhaps that was a little harsh. While the Flames weren't in the position to go big-game hunting (price depending of course - Toffoli would have been perfect but too expensive) based on their performance this season, I felt a mid to depth forward on the right side would have been a prudent addition and the largest priority. Instead, the Flames opted to leave the forward group as is which is a risky move. A depth defender, preferably for the left side, would have been priority two but that also is an ongoing bone of contention with me.

Given the prices paid for Ondrej Kase and Vincent Trochek, I am somewhat surprised the Flames didn't jump in.

Kase
While Kase in all likelihood would have cost the Flames more than he cost the Bruins, the Bruins got him for a complete bargain rendering a more expensive Flames price likely a fair deal. While there are rightfully concerns about Kase's injury history in his career thus far, his potential as a right-shooting right-wing who is competent in all three zones and who can easily slot into second- or third-line duty cannot be ignored. Like the Flames' own Andrew Mangiapane (in progression not syle), this is a player who has performed at every level to date but has yet to be afforded an opportunity up the lineup. His production has been reasonable without the luxury of powerplay minutes and has the potential to significantly increase with more minutes, particularly on the powerplay. A player to watch over the next few years. I understand the Flames rightfully didn't want to "penalize" Andrew Mangiapane for the strides he's made this season, but Kase could have started on the third line - and potentially having too many top six players is quite the luxury to have. The fact Kase is re-signed for next season after which he is an RFA is also important to note.

Trocheck
Trocheck is a bit different as he's more of a known - albeit inconsistent - commodity at the NHL level, and almost certainly would have shifted Mangiapane down the roster, which I understand. Still, as a natural right-shooting centre who can easily slide over to wing, the Flames missed out on an opportunity to add a versatile player signed to a reasonable multi-year contract. Furthermore, the Panthers are a team prone to being ripped off due to a Hockey Operations group who doesn't appear to understand the fundamentals of variance with respect to individual player's season-long performance. One look at Trocheck's shooting percentage is all that is needed to know the thought process their group consistently applies in its knee-jerk reactions. Note, I do acknowledge Trocheck is a bit of a sprayer not unlike our own Mikael Backlund, and has some questions regarding his commitment, but the price paid for a player like him on a multi-year contract wasn't much.

Fast
Finally, one player whom I have been recommending as a terrific low-cost fit for the Flames for a couple seasons now is Jesper Fast of the New York Rangers, who could have been had for a mid- to late-round pick. Fast is a right-shooting right-winger who plays all-out all the time and whose work rate is unquestioned. While not an agitator, Fast hits everything that moves (would be third on the Flames) and causes opposing players to have lapses in concentration. Despite that playing style, he is actually a very smart and disciplined player and draws more penalties than he takes. He could have seamlessly filled Frolik's responsible play, with Bennett's physicality, but without the complete lack of discipline either of them provide(d) with stick fouls. Make no mistake, he isn't going to score at much above third-line expectations, but he brings responsible two-way play as a much-needed natural right-winger that would have shifted the Flames' bottom-roster players down another rung, and could likely be easily re-signed. Perhaps a summer target.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 03-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #190
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
6 for deadline day because he kept the first and second and didn’t really lose any trades.

3 for overall asset management though. We keep trading 3rds and 4ths, which are exactly the players that get drafted in 3rds and 4ths! Flames scouting has been solid through the middle rounds and yet we keep dumping picks for rental players. Brodie. Sign him or trade him. Period. This should have been done as soon as last draft. Same with Hamonic. Treliving better know how much each player is asking for. Don’t like it? Trade them. Like it? Sign them. Why wait until the deadline?

Because they are trying to win. Why is that so hard to understand? Even if you don’t agree with it, that’s pretty simple to comprehend. It’s what virtually all teams do that are in a playoff position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: