Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
The problem is that it all seems fake. They play along because they know who he is. The art gallery lady and her pubes was just flat dumb, although she is a great sport for playing along and going to those ridiculous lengths.

But why is that on TV? Who finds that interesting or funny?

Same with the conservatives at the dinner table. Great sports that played along, but it was phony with no pay-off.

Maybe you're right and I'm just not a SBC fan. The only project of his I found funny was Borat, but both times I watched it I was baked out of my skull.
I think that leaving in the conservatives at the dinner table who dont over react and act respectfully of people’s differences is important. It’s not funny and makes SBC look mean but it shows that all conservatives aren’t the characiture that they are shown to be in the rest of the show and tha Art gallery showing that the left is just as kooky in their willingness to embrace the absurd.

It would be a funnier show if it was cut but wouldn’t be as good of social commentary.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #22
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't stop laughing when I was reading about the Roy Moore episode. Can't wait to see it.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #23
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You feel bad for Roy Moore, Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney?
I felt bad for the girl from bachelor and the random hillbillies. Seems a little harsh to treat that lot the same as war criminals and pedos. The show is about 70% cringe and 30% belly laughs, which is a strong enough ratio that Il keep tuning in.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #24
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great show
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #25
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
See, I don't find that funny, just cruel. There was a time in my life when I thought rubbing peoples' noses in the #### and idiocy of the world was funny. I don't anymore.

I can't even watch Nathan For You because I feel bad for the people he's screwing over.
I feel the same.

And for Nathan For You I feel like he has changed.

If I remember the first season it was more him going to help local businesses with horrible/clever ideas and just seeing where it would end up. The people were sometimes weird but they weren't the butt of the joke. It was usually Nathan and his awkwardness that took main stage.

The whole final episode travelling with the Bill Gates impersonator was just sad.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the fourth episode was a big improvement from a pretty lackluster third episode. I think the shows having some trouble getting people to say ludicrous things, but we had some gems today.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #27
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

My paedophile friend!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I usually don't like comedy that punches down - where the participants are not on a level playing field and not in on the joke. About as funny as Gerry Forbes calling someone while pretending to be someone else.
Yeah. I do not get anyone thinking this is funny/entertaining/interesting. At all. But each to their own.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found the episodes have some funny moments, but for the most part, the people being skewered just look uncomfortable and incredulous about what’s going on. I wish he had better used this opportunity to lampoon some of these fools, instead of leading them into situations. It seems a little too forced from what I have seen so far.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #31
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's the makeup that ruins it, imo. He always looks like a guy with a bunch of fake character make-up, speaking in an outlandish manner, which can be funny but it takes away most of the genuine reaction.

I don't know, it has funny moments, but like others have said, it's just too much awareness from the guests more often than not. The non idiots know something is going on and just politely play along.

The true dumbasses provide some decent laughs though. Although, it's actually a little scary at times. It especially highlights just how indoctrinated, scared and hateful some Republicans/southerns are of Muslims and other minorities.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-08-2018 at 08:03 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #32
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty soft 5th episode so far.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #33
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Hahaha, the defence against a beheading...

"My mouth is big enough for 2 of these!"
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM   #34
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

This show has lost steam. Hasn't really been funny or shocking since episode 2. Honestly the one who is coming off looking like the biggest tool in the last 3 episodes is Cohen.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 08-14-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #35
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
This show has lost steam. Hasn't really been funny or shocking since episode 2. Honestly the one who is coming off looking like the biggest tool in the last 3 episodes is Cohen.
Yeah I can't disagree. I was posting a week or two ago saying that it got better, but it peaked and is just hard to watch now. The funniest part remains the presidential quotes to open the show. The characters aren't enticing and it just feels incredibly forced and boring all at once.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #36
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As someone who was laughing his ass off at this for quite a few episodes, this latest one was awful. I agree with you all in that it just feels forced now and it's saying stupid things for the thought of saying stupid things.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought this week's episode was hit and miss. The DJ segment was classic Cohen comedy. I thought the photo shoot with the website dbag guy was funny. And what made it so funny is that he got both guys to agree to some crazy stuff. More than that, they seemed into it.

That parts that aren't working are with the known media figures like the Sheriff and the Trump campaign manager. Most of them are too good at watching what they say so the stuff doesn't work as well. They deflect his crazy ass comments. That stuff works better when people buy into his shtick and take it up a notch.

I also think that Cohen's material plays a big part in how funny the skits are. The mexican trap for pedophile's was a great set up and delivery. The Roy Moore stuff was excellent. The crazy georgia republican was perfect because the material was weird and that guy took it up 10 notches of crazy. We need more of that stuff.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #38
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 6 was pretty good, and the credit short was incredible.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #39
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hoping for Palin tonight!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #40
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight is the season finale so Palin should be on there and OJ Simpson is confirmed as being on