Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #81
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Duffy is just trolling you.
Wrong again, just like when you said that in the Zimmerman thread.

Sigur Ros sucks, I truly believe that, therefore, in the context of the conversation, I let my feelings about SR be known. What's trolling about that?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #82
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Well, just to be fair I gave it another chance. Here's the first Sigur Ros song I found on youtube

It is exactly like every other SR song I've heard, and I could only make it up until the 2 minute mark until I was punching myself in the testicles and jamming pitchforks in my ears.

Holy Christ that is one terrible band making terrible music.

Is the person singing, errh, squealing in some made up language, or whatever, a eunuch or something?
garbage man just pure junk.

and to be clear i mean the band

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #83
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

NIN sucks. garbage man just pure junk.

See where this gets us?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #84
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I would kill to see the replacements!
I've seen wilco 5-6 times, and they've been excellent every time. Definitely my favorite "big" band I've seen live.
Mine too. I've seen them three times. Time for them to come back to Alberta!
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #85
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Don't see how Skrillex is the only EDM artist on the list. His show production isn't the best out right now, his music is definitely not the best out right now (dubstep or otherwise) and he doesn't do anything different live from other EDM artists.

Rolling Stone just took one of the biggest names out of the EDM hat and put it on the list.

If we're talking about the whole experience, I'd put Daft Punks Alive tour on there over Skrillex, if we're only talking about cool mixes I'd put SHM on there over Skrillex, if were talking about stage production I'd put deadmau5 over skrillex (ew) and if we're talking about sheer mixing ability someone like A-Track or DJ AM should definitely be on there over Skrillex.

Overall EDM shows don't really belong on a list like this cause they aren't concerts. They don't serve the same purpose. A concert is an opportunity to see a band perform their songs in person where as an EDM show is a massive party that is being orchestrated by a DJ. Both are great, but besides being a "show" that involves music and a stage, they're not very similar.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #86
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I haven't been to any big venue concerts in a long time, the last one that was > 100 people would have been Peter Murphy in VCR.

But lets say the 3 bands I would dish out big $$$ to see right now would be Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, QOTSA, Janes Addiction, RadioHead, NIN and any Jack White band.

I wouldn't pay to see any of the above and don't go to big venues either. Best small venue shows I have been to in Calgary in the last 3 years would be Benjamin Francis Leftwhich at the Palomino, Bon Iver with The Staves at Mac Hall, RAA, Pepper Rabbit, Imaginary Cities at the Legion, Japandroids, Frog Legs, PS I Love You at the Republik, and Arcade Fire with Calexico at the Corral which is I guess is a medium sized venue. Some of the best shows happen in small venues and the above bands you list are all big venue acts that have last put out good music years and years ago. And yes if Sigur Ros came to a small venue in Calgary I would love to be at that show. Again, many/most people don't like Sigur Ros and lack the patience to listen to them but nobody is making music like them right now. A unique live show also.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #87
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

See where this gets us?
Whoa, not cool
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #88
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Bob Dylan is downright awful. He's lost his voice and is no longer able to sing. They rearrange all of his songs now to try and compensate for this, but it just makes them totally unrecognizable. It took me 5 minutes to realize Dylan was playing "Hurricane"....he then played it for what seemed like another 15 minutes.

Dylan doesn't engage the audience in any way either. I'd probably go again, as he is a living legend, and one of my personal favorites, but he is awful.
I went to see him last year at the Saddledome and it was exactly like you describe it, and it was a little painful. I've heard some of those songs a million times, and didn't even know them when he was singing them.

I kind of knew it going in, but I bought the ticket thinking "well, it may not be great, but it's Bob Dylan...".

Like seeing Gordie Howe play for the Whalers. Sure, the magic is long gone, but it's Gordie Howe.

Anyway, no doubt Gene Simmons' publicist is phoning Rolling Stone right now. If not Gene himself. They've been claiming the "best live band" title for 30 years at least. They never actually had the title, but when they first put the make up back on/starting doing nostalgia, it was a pretty great (and kind of hilarious) show. I guess if you do nostalgia tours for 20 years, the gimmick wears off.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #89
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

See where this gets us?
Alright i guess what i mean to say is
"put me down for one vote of displeasure with what i just heard."

i am still able to say i dislike or like things am i not?
Spoiler!

The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #90
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I checked out a few Sigur Rios tunes (never heard of them until today) and holy crap! Those guys really do suck!
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #91
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

See where this gets us?
i was just a little shocked by how vacant the song i heard was.
The allure is just totally lost on me. also if i'm going off the OP, we seem to have similar tastes, and i respect your contributions to this board.
So honest question troutman, do you find yourself putting sigur ros on your stereo and if so when?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #92
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
Just imagine this reined in at a venue like the Paramount in Seattle or the even the PNE in Vancouver......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YpzevT9Y9w Big band small venue is hard to beat. They are love it or hate it by nature and album 5 and 6 have crossed over into mainstream consciousness to some degree. They have always been The National. If you love them you don't care what anyone else thinks I can see why people hate them and that hate will grow throughout the rest of this year.
Count me in with the not loving group.

As for Sigur Ros this is my favourite song of theirs. They are pretty good, seen em live as well. Not my favourite band but not as horrible as some are making them out to be. Obviously the lead singer's voice and their style isn't going to be for everyone.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 08-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #93
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the super ambiguous genre of "post-rock", Godspeed You! Black Emperor is obviously the superior band to Sigur Ros, Canadian to boot, and no one is fellating them here.

What's wrong with you people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #94
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
In the super ambiguous genre of "post-rock", Godspeed You! Black Emperor is obviously the superior band to Sigur Ros, Canadian to boot, and no one is fellating them here.

As a guy who has listened to his fair share of GODSPEED!, I do not agree with this statement.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #95
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Count me in with the not loving group.

As for Sigur Ros this is my favourite song of theirs. They are pretty good, seen em live as well. Not my favourite band but not as horrible as some are making them out to be. Obviously the lead singer's voice and their style isn't going to be for everyone.
That wasn't bad right up until the singing started, then I

But really, until the singing it was just another piano solo that any band/musician could've done. until the singing you couldn't even tell it was SR, which made it at least listenable up until then. That was not typical SR music.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #96
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
As a guy who has listened to his fair share of GODSPEED!, I do not agree with this statement.
No falsetto/choir lameness, but with all the crazy orchestration.

Just my opinion of course. Also, in relation to the thread, they are AMAZING live.

For those who love slow builds to emotional crescendos, GY!BE's Moya is near perfect.

Or live:

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 08-13-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #97
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Probably because nobody started criticizing GSYBE! so nobody rushed to their defense. If I (or someone else) had said that GSYBE! was my favorite live show and Duffman (or someone else) posted about how they were the worst band ever, then probably they'd be the dominant topic in this thread.

For what it's worth, I actually do like GSYBE! better than Sigur Ros as far as their albums go, but I've never seen them live so I can't really compare them within the original spirit of this thread.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #98
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Probably because nobody started criticizing GSYBE! so nobody rushed to their defense. If I (or someone else) had said that GSYBE! was my favorite live show and Duffman (or someone else) posted about how they were the worst band ever, then probably they'd be the dominant topic in this thread.

For what it's worth, I actually do like GSYBE! better than Sigur Ros as far as their albums go, but I've never seen them live so I can't really compare them within the original spirit of this thread.
Fair enough. And I can say I haven't seen Sigur Ros live either, though I wouldn't mind.

Quote: