Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As with all music lists, this one is very subjective and open to interpretation. To me, there's no doubt that Bruce is #1. I've seen him 3 times, and the shows never been under 2.5 hours.

As for the rest, some good (Alabama Shakes (who I just saw at Folk Fest), Prince, Jack White), some not so good (Taylor Swift (really?), Rolling Stones (just getting sad)) and one downright terrible one, Phish, who to me are possibly the worst band in history.

The one big omission from my perspective was Bjork. Just saw her at Ottawa Bluesfest a couple of weeks ago, and it was unforgettable. Just a bizarre, but mesmerizing spectacle. I'm not even really a huge fan of her music, but I thought it was great. My wife, who is a big fan, thought it was awesome and couldn't take her eyes off Bjork for the entire show. So much so in fact, that I had to take pictures for her, which I am generally never trusted to do.

Last edited by Voodooman; 08-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess David Bowie isn't currently touring (and may never again), but he's my vote for best live performer I've ever seen. Of bands on the RS list, I've seen Sigur Ros, Rush, David Byrne, Radiohead, Neil Young, and Arcade Fire, and of those I'd say the Sigur Ros concert was the best. I also think Hold Steady is an amazing in concert, their music is really well-suited to live performance.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

List, schmist but I wouldn't argue Springsteen, Prince or McCartney's spots.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Free Ben Hur! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like that Eric Church made the list. That, Tom Petty and Kid Cudi a few years ago are the best concerts I've been to

But really, no ones ever going to be happy with a list like this, everyones opinions on music varies so much, its impossible to make a definitive list of "The Best"
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having recently seen Neil Young I have to say his position on that list is ridiculous. One of the worst performances I've ever seen, just sad. Bad enough that I sold my tickets for a subsequent concert afterwards.

Springsteen is definitely my number 1, especially at MSG. Jay Z is great, but when they played together I preferred Eminem's energy and presence. Radiohead made me feel like I was on another planet, that was a great show. Sigur Ros had a similar effect but took you to a different place in a very different way, they're also much better on their own then at a festival. Janelle Monae was one of those sets you catch at a festival with no idea what to expect and leave with it being the highlight of the weekend.

Gary Clark Jr. puts on a great show, and as someone else mentioned The Hives are amazing live. I've also had a great time at every Bloc Party show I've been to, those guys bring it.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Within the last few years I've seen, from this list:

Springsteen
Prince
The Rolling Stones
Arcade Fire
Jack White
My Morning Jacket
Wilco
Jay-Z
Kanye
Radiohead
The Black Keys
NIN
Tom Petty
Pearl Jam
Muse
Madonna
Sleigh Bells
Foo Fighters
Florence and the Machine
The National
Lady Gaga
Sigur Ros

Had tickets forTame Implala, Tool, and Mumford and Sons, but had to ditch to travel/other commitments. Really wanted to see Tool and Tame Impala too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Having recently seen Neil Young I have to say his position on that list is ridiculous. One of the worst performances I've ever seen, just sad. Bad enough that I sold my tickets for a subsequent concert afterwards.

Springsteen is definitely my number 1, especially at MSG. Jay Z is great, but when they played together I preferred Eminem's energy and presence. Radiohead made me feel like I was on another planet, that was a great show. Sigur Ros had a similar effect but took you to a different place in a very different way, they're also much better on their own then at a festival. Janelle Monae was one of those sets you catch at a festival with no idea what to expect and leave with it being the highlight of the weekend.

Gary Clark Jr. puts on a great show, and as someone else mentioned The Hives are amazing live. I've also had a great time at every Bloc Party show I've been to, those guys bring it.
Strange, I saw him here a few years agao and was amazed at how good he was.

How is AC/DC not on that list? At SARS stock in Toronto, they blew the Stones off the stage. Tool needs to be higher as well.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Flaming Lips.
I've seen Flaming Lips, and they are extremely hit or miss. 1 show was amazing. The other 2 were two of the worst live performances I've ever seen. During one set Wayne Coyne (the lead singer) spent 10 minutes talking about his hands. The guy was so high, I don't think he got through his set.

Edit:

Here's a review of the show I saw, apparently, they got better after I left:

http://www.indierockcafe.com/2011/06...-sunday-day-2/

I left to go see Yeasayer, who were on an alternate stage. They were amazing.

Last edited by blankall; 08-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #29
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I guess David Bowie isn't currently touring (and may never again), but he's my vote for best live performer I've ever seen. Of bands on the RS list, I've seen Sigur Ros, Rush, David Byrne, Radiohead, Neil Young, and Arcade Fire, and of those I'd say the Sigur Ros concert was the best. I also think Hold Steady is an amazing in concert, their music is really well-suited to live performance.
I'd kill myself if I had to sit through a live Sigur Ros concert. I feel like it just hearing them.

Worst band ever.

Last edited by DuffMan; 08-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #30
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alabama Shakes impressed the hell out of me when they were on SNL. Love to see them in a venue like the Eddy (rip). Its weird how she can open her mouth the way she does when she sings.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #31
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never saw The Flaming Lips personally, but I hear they put on a good show.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

How is AC/DC not on that list? At SARS stock in Toronto, they blew the Stones off the stage. Tool needs to be higher as well.
Neil is hit and miss. I've seen him twice now. The first show was great and the second was a snoozer. AC/DC don't tour anymore.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #33
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Saw him last summer in Central Park and it was brutal, like watching the crypt keeper. Skipped the MSG show in the fall after that, but friends who went left half way through because it was so bad.

Apparently Bob Dylan has become pretty painful to see as well. Can't realistically expect all of these guys to keep putting on amazing shows into their 70's though.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #34
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

hitf is the National 1 ranking above QOTSA, that's rediculous. The National are quaaludes and QOTSA are speed.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Saw him last summer in Central Park and it was brutal, like watching the crypt keeper. Skipped the MSG show in the fall after that, but friends who went left half way through because it was so bad.

Apparently Bob Dylan has become pretty painful to see as well. Can't realistically expect all of these guys to keep putting on amazing shows into their 70's though.
Bob Dylan is downright awful. He's lost his voice and is no longer able to sing. They rearrange all of his songs now to try and compensate for this, but it just makes them totally unrecognizable. It took me 5 minutes to realize Dylan was playing "Hurricane"....he then played it for what seemed like another 15 minutes.

Dylan doesn't engage the audience in any way either. I'd probably go again, as he is a living legend, and one of my personal favorites, but he is awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
hitf is the National 1 ranking above QOTSA, that's rediculous. The National are quaaludes and QOTSA are speed.
QOTSH is top of my list for bands I haven't seen yet, that I want to see on that Rolling Stones top 50.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #37
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I'd kill myself if I had to sit through a live Sigur Ros concert. I feel like it just hearing them.

Worst band ever.
Well, we can both be thankful that you weren't at that concert, because somebody offing themselves in the middle of Svefn-G-Englar would have knocked it down my list of favorite concerts a few spots.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Neil is hit and miss. I've seen him twice now. The first show was great and the second was a snoozer. AC/DC don't tour anymore.
they will when they put out an album
Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #39
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Bob Dylan is downright awful. He's lost his voice and is no longer able to sing. They rearrange all of his songs now to try and compensate for this, but it just makes them totally unrecognizable. It took me 5 minutes to realize Dylan was playing "Hurricane"....he then played it for what seemed like another 15 minutes.

Dylan doesn't engage the audience in any way either. I'd probably go again, as he is a living legend, and one of my personal favorites, but he is awful.
I see Rush on the list. I like them, but Geddy cannot sing live anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #40
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Replacements are playing Toronto and Chicago this summer, should be automatic #1.

Nice to see Fiona Apple get some recognition, even if dead last on the list.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote