Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ticketmaster question.

I bought my wife some Mumford and Sons tickets with no intention of going as ill be out of town for work. On my order confirmation appeared this.

Quote:
You will receive your tickets via: Paperless Ticket - IMPORTANT: You will not receive paper tickets for this event. At the time of entry, you must present the credit card used to purchase your tickets as well as a valid photo ID (such as a driver's license, state ID or passport). Your entire party must enter the venue at the same time. Tickets are non-transferable. You will receive another email closer to the show date with further details on gaining access to your seats the night of your event.
So wtf? I can't buy concert tickets for her and not go? Do they honestly check everyone's CC and ID? Anyone ever go to a show with similar terms?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They sure do check IDs and CCs. Did when this happened for the Maiden show I saw. I'd imagine if you contacted Ticketmaster and explained the situation to them they'd be cool with it.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What if I purchased the tickets, but my spouse is going to the event?
Your spouse must be an authorized user of the credit card, and must present the credit card along with their government issued ID to gain entry.
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/paperless/

Is she an authorized user for the card? If she is I don't think there is a problem.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You're lucky you got tickets! Soooo many people got shutout!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They sure do check IDs and CCs. Did when this happened for the Maiden show I saw. I'd imagine if you contacted Ticketmaster and explained the situation to them they'd be cool with it.
We're talking about Ticketmaster here, reasonable actions are not to be expected.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am assuming that if you pay a $50 alternate user fee you are good to go.......
Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had to give up floor seats to John Mayer as i was buying them for my son and his friends, and couldn't go myself. He ended up on the side of the rink, decent enough, but this is a policy intended to counter scalping which in the end hurts fans. When you can't buy your own kids or wife a ticket as a gift, they really need to do something.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quick question I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

I don't use the online print-off tickets from Ticketmaster, but I'm looking at getting tickets to an event and most people seem to only have these print off tickets.

My questions are basically, is it a relatively safe method to use (with all of the scams going around) and is there a way to ensure that you are the only one with the ticket. What does Ticketmaster do to stop the person from printing off 2 or more tickets? if they even have something like that.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
My questions are basically, is it a relatively safe method to use (with all of the scams going around) and is there a way to ensure that you are the only one with the ticket. What does Ticketmaster do to stop the person from printing off 2 or more tickets? if they even have something like that.
As far as I know, there's nothing (other than their own honesty) to prevent someone from printing off and selling multiple copies of the ticket. If someone does this, the first person to use it gets in, and everyone else is out of luck.

If I were buying from a stranger on Kijiji, I absolutely would not trust them. If it's a cash transaction made in a public place (which it should be if you don't want to get raped), you're not likely going to be able to ever track the person down if it was a scam.

If you buy through a site like StubHub, you have protection because they will refund your money if the ticket you buy is no good (which doesn't help you see the show, but at least you're not doubly screwed). Of course, you pay a premium when you buy through StubHub.

I don't think Ticketmaster will do anything to protect you if you get scammed because you were not a Ticketmaster customer at any point. They don't really have any incentive to make scalping a safe transaction for the buyer because they want people to be afraid of getting scammed so they'll use Ticketmaster's own reselling service.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
What does Ticketmaster do to stop the person from printing off 2 or more tickets? if they even have something like that.
The only way to have some security is if they email the tickets to you from Ticketmaster. I can do that from my Flames account, not 100% sure about other tickets just bought online.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The only way to have some security is if they email the tickets to you from Ticketmaster. I can do that from my Flames account, not 100% sure about other tickets just bought online.
Even email isnt 100% safe as you can have the email tickets canceled and a new set of email tickets created. Now if a season ticket holder abused this they would quickly be caught so the risk is low.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Even email isnt 100% safe as you can have the email tickets canceled and a new set of email tickets created. Now if a season ticket holder abused this they would quickly be caught so the risk is low.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think I'm going to just stick to finding some hard copy tickets. Thanks guys
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I think I'm going to just stick to finding some hard copy tickets. Thanks guys
Hard Copy is no safer. A person can report the tickets lost or stolen and get a new set issued via email and sell those as well. Or in the case of flames season tickets you can just cancel he hard copy and print out an e-copy.

My only recomendation would be to buy them from someones house so that you know where they live if omething goes screwy,
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Hard Copy is no safer. A person can report the tickets lost or stolen and get a new set issued via email and sell those as well. Or in the case of flames season tickets you can just cancel he hard copy and print out an e-copy.

My only recomendation would be to buy them from someones house so that you know where they live if omething goes screwy,
Exactly. Then you can rustle up a posse and inflict some vigilante justice on the scalper. In fact why hasn't someone done this to Broncos Coat yet?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote