Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's funny when they talk about how macho they are and that no one can beat them when they are on top of their game. It doesn't take anything besides cash to "win" a locker. If they win the locker they tell everyone how good they are and that they are so smart. If they lose it, they say how they drove the price up for the other guy and how dumb that guy was to buy it. Every time they get the locker it's the best thing ever. Every time someone else gets it, it was the worst locker.

Mark Baelo always seemed so fake. Any time he was on camera it looked completely scripted. I was just looking up his name for this post, and saw he committed suicide in February this year.

There are obviously fake/staged/scripted elements throughout the show. Here's a quick one:

NSFW A few f-bombs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Barry just trolls the whole thing. The guy is wealthy and doesn't need to be doing this. Although I bet he'd trade a winning locker or two for a night with Brandi's fantastic sweater kittens.

Jarrod can go to hell. He doesn't deserve her whatsoever.

Darryl is also really annoying. "It's time to pack it in and let the big boys play!" This guy is such a redneck doofus, and he thinks his veteran experience demands respect and that others (Dave specifically) should respect him. Worst character on the show.

Dave was a bloody genius and shrewd businessman. More often than not he would find the gems, and taking the producers to court for planting objects means he seriously cares about his trade. Best guy on the show.

Also, more Brandi, less clothing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #23
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Dave was a bloody genius and shrewd businessman. More often than not he would find the gems, and taking the producers to court for planting objects means he seriously cares about his trade. Best guy on the show.
That's the funniest thing I have read all day, thank you for that.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
That's the funniest thing I have read all day, thank you for that.
Serious man. He was good, and clearly had an edge on the other guys.

Care to explain yourself?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #25
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Serious man. He was good, and clearly had an edge on the other guys.

Care to explain yourself?
I'm not sure how he was a genius or shrewd businessman? Unless getting lucky buying storage lockers now is a prerequisite for either of those. You get to take a look into a locker, sure sometimes stuff will pop out at you but for the most part you are blindly bidding on them. So when he buys a junk locker and there is nothing in it, then all of the sudden he has boxes of newspapers that an 'expert' says are worth $20,000 that makes him a genuis and shrewd businessman? I'm pretty sure all geniuses and shrewd businessmen would disagree with you.

Taking the producers to court means he seriously cares about his 'trade' (and I use the term loosely). Come on, all the guy cares about is money and that is the only reason he is suing them.

Best guy on the show? Right, that must be why you have a Barry avatar.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I'm not sure how he was a genius or shrewd businessman? Unless getting lucky buying storage lockers now is a prerequisite for either of those. You get to take a look into a locker, sure sometimes stuff will pop out at you but for the most part you are blindly bidding on them. So when he buys a junk locker and there is nothing in it, then all of the sudden he has boxes of newspapers that an 'expert' says are worth $20,000 that makes him a genuis and shrewd businessman? I'm pretty sure all geniuses and shrewd businessmen would disagree with you.

Taking the producers to court means he seriously cares about his 'trade' (and I use the term loosely). Come on, all the guy cares about is money and that is the only reason he is suing them.

Best guy on the show? Right, that must be why you have a Barry avatar.
Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Dave appeared to know more about obscure items or things than the others, and always wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty and let the little things add up. I remember one episode where everyone passed up a locker full of books; Dave made thousands in profit taking those books whereas the others wouldn't touch them.

Dave knows how to work the business and that's why he clearly has the most well-run business among all the competitors. You can't possibly argue against that.

And yes, Dave's lawsuit likely stems from protecting his industry. On multiple shows he has said he was born into this trade and it means everything to him. So unless the producers forced him to say that, I can't see why he would lie.

I have a Barry avatar because he's the funniest of the group and most people would agree. But nice attempt at grasping straws there, chief.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Dave appeared to know more about obscure items or things than the others, and always wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty and let the little things add up. I remember one episode where everyone passed up a locker full of books; Dave made thousands in profit taking those books whereas the others wouldn't touch them.

Dave knows how to work the business and that's why he clearly has the most well-run business among all the competitors. You can't possibly argue against that.

And yes, Dave's lawsuit likely stems from protecting his industry. On multiple shows he has said he was born into this trade and it means everything to him. So unless the producers forced him to say that, I can't see why he would lie.

I have a Barry avatar because he's the funniest of the group and most people would agree. But nice attempt at grasping straws there, chief.
This was mentioned earlier, but in episodes like that just because Dave or Darrell or whoever says stuff like that is worth X, doesn't make it so. Also, the profit from those books is probably going to be a lot lower than estimated in the show. Until they actually sell, we will never know what Hester made off of them.

I would love to see a show that follows up on some of the more notable and obscure finds from these lockers and shows us what became of them. It would be neat to know if Dave really did make a killing off those books or if something weird that Barry found was sold for big bucks. Maybe show Darrell or Jarrod hauling a pick up truck full of old furniture that nobody wanted to the dump.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No one pissed in my cornflakes. I said your comments about Dave were funny, and you asked me why. I told you why.

Your view on Dave Hester has no effect on my life at all, so I have no reason to get upset.

You seem a little sensitive about this issue, so I won't address your comments further since there is really no point since neither of our opinions on the subject are going to change.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch this show mainly for Barry and his crazy antics that and hoping Brandi will wear sheer Lululemon yoga pants.

Barry reminds me of a Seinfeld episode all by himself. My whole family thinks he is a complete laugh.
His car collection is worth watching the show for as well.

little dude on stilts

Old 04-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Dave isn't a shrewd businessman at all; he's more of a failure than anything. He had to close down his store a couple seasons ago, then opened up some sort of online store that I assumed failed as well. Now because he was pissed at his salary, he caused turmoil with the producers and got fired. So now he's out that job, and is stuck with a failing online business. If you don't account for what the show pays him, I bet he's lost a lot of money since the show began.

I like Barry too, but I wonder if his gimmick is more of an act? It seems he plays up a lot for the cameras, but is he actually like that in real life?

It's still a million times better than that other show where they find cars, cannons, and money in every locker. And all the buyers on that show are completely unlikable (even the auctioneer is).

Edit: Storage Hunters is the show; it's so poorly staged, it's pathetic. People try and get into fights in every episode, and every locker has some crazy crap in it... sure that's completely believable.

Last edited by trackercowe; 04-05-2013 at 03:23 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Faaaaaaake!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #32
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I used to watch the show a lot before.

I've been in the second business for nearly my entire working life. Hester is an idiot. I used to think he was the best out of the bunch, but I don't think so anymore. There is a reason he has had problems with his business. He is so out to lunch on pricing. That book thing was a joke. And its not just that, sometimes I am amazed at how someone who has been around the second hand business as long as he has doesn't have a good grasp of what something is. It could be just part of the show, but there were some things he would take to get checked out and I knew it was a waste of his time. There was an episode where he was hoping a violin was a Stradivarius... I seen it on TV and I could tell it was just a cheapo violin because of the sticker inside. There has been other times where I shake my head when he talks and I wonder aloud what drugs he is on.

Darryl is more accurate with his pricing then Hester is. They both are a bit out to lunch but Darryl is more reasonable, believe it or not. It is a second hand business, you can never go up in price. He runs tables at flea markets IIRC, and that is how that business goes. Start high and haggle down.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can you actually do this in Calgary? For example, does a place like Sentinel Self Storage on 16th Ave by COP hold these once in a while or something...?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #34
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Can you actually do this in Calgary? For example, does a place like Sentinel Self Storage on 16th Ave by COP hold these once in a while or something...?
I recall in a paper in Edmonton a year ago I read about a real life version of this happening for the first time with a huge line up for all the excited fans.

I'm not sure they've done this in Calgary yet.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #35
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
Yep, all the time (Although, I don't know about that specific place you mentioned). The show was based off people making a living doing this, not the other way around. Although, the popularity of the show certainly opened the average persons eyes to the preactice. I went to one right after the hype of storage wars had set in, and it was ######ed. It was insane how many people showed up, and everyone was talking Storage Wars the whole time. One dude was saying it used to be a fun, sometimes profitable hobby, and then Storage Wars literally changed that over night.

Storage Wars has about 12-15 people per locker. We went to a storage auction near Barlow Trail, and there was easily 60-70 people. You would line up for each locker and all 70 people would walk by it and get up to a minute to look.......seriously. It was like an hour wait at each unit, and the bidding was ######ed.

A whole bunch of Dave Hester wannabes. Everyone talking strategy in line, and acting like they're the best and everyone else is stupid. The first locker had some late 80's looking bedroom furniture that I would likely take a $50 hit to haul to the dump if I saw it in my garage. But sure enough people started bidding and it was up to $400 in about 30 seconds.

Then everyone else started to getting excited, I guess thinking these idiots were on to something, and before you knew it, it was a bidding war,a nd it went for like $900. Keeping in mind this wasn't like those ones you see on SW, where there could be hidden gems. This was just old bedroom furniture, with no places where treasure could be hidden. It was a baffling experience, and confirmed my suspicion that storage auctions, both on the show and in real life is more about **** measuring, and the thrill of an auction, then making a living.

Last edited by jayswin; 04-05-2013 at 09:10 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #36
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Brandi's Banter? Is that a new word for these?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #37
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shucks, sounds like Barry Weiss is going to be leaving the show soon.

http://www.extratv.com/2013/06/25/st...-leaving-show/

That's a shame, as he's pretty much the only reason I watch the show. Apparently Darrell might be cut out as well, as A&E wants the cut down the cost of production. How much can Storage Wars actually cost?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sure if accurate but wow

Quote:
Before being booted off Storage Wars, Dave Hester told the press that he was paid $25,000 for each episode, with a guarantee of 26 episodes, a monthly stipend of $2,500, with an expense account of $124,500, AND he received $25,000 as a signing bonus. That's about $800,000 per year! We assume other cast members are paid a similar amount.
http://www.kgbanswers.com/how-much-d...isode/21293733
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

The Canadian version airs tomorrow on OLN.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Blah. OLN should just follow me around in my trek across the city finding comics.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oln , storage wars , yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup