Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Alberta Flood Aid - Nickelback still doesn't want people to like them

http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...161/story.html

Quote:
Things were going incredibly well during Thursday night’s monumental concert fundraiser at McMahon Stadium with the sold-out crowd of 32,000 enjoying performances by such big-name acts as Jann Arden, The Sheepdogs, Randy Bachman with The Sadies, Johnny Reid, Tom Cochrane and more. Organizers made the mood that much more positive when they came onstage and announced they had hit the $1.4 million mark — which was quickly made $1.5 by Telus — thanks to attendance and donations from people watching around the globe via live broadcast and webcast.
Quote:
That was until the plug was pulled on the live feed. Telus, obviously feeling the heat made it known that it was completely at the behest of the band,

I'm actually kind of surprised this wasn't posted yet.

I know that people collectively (for the most part) on CP, dislike (hate) Nickelback. I do as well. I actually went to the concert and had a good time. A lot of the acts were very good. I didn't go for Nickelback. I left 2 songs into their set. I was quite content on seeing the other acts.

So I guess the question is, why? Why did they pull the plug? Why did ALL the other acts decide "ok, broadcast us", but Nickelback said "no"?

Alberta Flood Aid was advertised, as having Nickelback as the headlining and main act. Nickelback fans at home were waiting to see their band live from McMahon, and then it got pulled. Telus apologizes after...but did they know before the concert that Chad and company didn't want to be broadcasted?

All throughout the concert, between acts and even during the acts, Nickelback's name was dropped. Even Nenshi said "I called Nickelback."

So the expectation is: Nickelback will be on the TV / online broadcast.

I'm not defending Nickelback or their fans. I'm happy that 1.5 million was raised. I hope it goes to the right people and is spent wisely.

My question, and I hope the discussion here can go this direction, is do you feel that there was some sort of false advertising here or misdirection to get people to tune in and online? Once people were watching they were urged to text and donate. Again, I'm happy that 1.5 was raised.

If you bought a ticket, and were at the concert, then you got to see Nickelback. If you tuned in online or on TV, you didn't. Why wasn't this mentioned in the first place?

I honestly feel that the request of Nickelback, to not be broadcasted, has put a sour note of sorts on the entire thing and may have put a negative spin on the Alberta Flood Aid.

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-17-2013 at 02:16 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I have no problem with the folks who made an effort to go to the stadium, to get punished, er, I mean, get a bonus for staying to the end. I am assuming that since they were the costing act, lots of folks got a jump on traffic.....
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

from my understanding, all of the artists and bands are there voluntary.

im indifferent about Nickelback as a band and sure the request is odd, but are you really going to criticize someone who is there working for free?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's quite possible they didn't have the rights to their own broadcasts. Seems a bit premature to assume that a band that buys into heavy commercialization wouldn't want to be on TV.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

They only raised $1.5MM??
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What someone told me is that they postponed their tour to do flood aid, so they wanted the show to be only for paying ticket holders.

Well ok, so then eff those people who were watching and donating from home, or those who wanted to go but couldn't afford a ticket, or couldn't spare the additional time needed to be there in person cause they were busy ripping out their mouldy basement?

If this theory is true, it's an example of a decision with almost understandable intentions, but with the foresight of a goldfish with dementia.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, if they didn't want to be broadcast I guess you can't force them to, but why did they have to make it a surprise?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Also, if they didn't want to be broadcast I guess you can't force them to, but why did they have to make it a surprise?
Exactly. The organizers must have known well before, so why let the show go on and keep on talking them up? I guess to keep people tuned in and watching?
Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

You answered your own question.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The broadcast followed the schedule it promised, and the event didnt seem to drag behind schedule, so I'd assume that Telus knew the whole time that Nickelback wasn't going to be broadcast.

My question is, when did the Sadies play? I watched the stream after it actually happened, but I didn't see the Sadies at all. Were they even there?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
The broadcast followed the schedule it promised, and the event didnt seem to drag behind schedule, so I'd assume that Telus knew the whole time that Nickelback wasn't going to be broadcast.

My question is, when did the Sadies play? I watched the stream after it actually happened, but I didn't see the Sadies at all. Were they even there?
Yeah, they played BTO songs with Randy Bachman, though. Bit of a let down.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So they were there. I thought they got cut.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to think nickleback are just messing with people. Like when Andy Kauffman played bad guy wrestler or Tony Clifton. I mean seriously can anyone be this doochesque? It's gotta be the greatest inside joke of all time, for the sake of humanity it has to.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 08-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta flood aid , boots on , nickelback , nickelsuck