Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
flamestalker
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Food Recommendations in LA area

Hey all,

Staying a week in the LA area, anyone have any good food recommendation? Basically anything you can't get in Calgary we'd be willing to give it a shot. My parents really enjoy Asian food as well, so if you have suggestions for that, you get a bonus!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.in-n-out.com/
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rajun Cajun Cafe at Hermosa beach. Authentic Cajun food. It's amazing. I went there by myself years ago. Service was awesome, food even better.

I just checked the website, and it looks like he had to shut down and he started a food truck business. It looks like they're reopening under a new name Suzy's rajun cajun cafe on August 12th. Might be worth checking out.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kogi Truck
Jitlada
Philippe the Original
Mochica
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best steak I have ever had was at BOA Steakhouse in West Hollywood. Their Caesar salad which is made table-side was also the best that I ever had. Bit on the pricey side, but if you are looking for a great meal definitely check it out.

Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

10 Best Tacos in Los Angeles

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2...os_angeles.php

1. Guisados:
The most difficult thing you will encounter at Guisados is the menu. There are so many guisados -- stewed meats and vegetables -- and only so much room in your stomach. And so, unless you're really set on a particular filling, your best bet is to order the sampler plate that come with six mini-tacos, each one filled with a fantastic meat or vegetable housed in a deliciously chewy handmade tortilla. These tacos are the reason why Guisados tied for first place (along with Mariscos Jalisco) in L.A. Taco's Taco Madness 2012, and we wholeheartedly agree with the vote. After you finish those six samplers, you might still have room for at least one full-size taco, which will bring you back full circle to your original dilemma of so many flavors, so very rapidly decreasing stomach capacity. You'll have to choose wisely now, but rest assured that you can never choose incorrectly. And don't forget the tamales. 2100 E. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., L.A.; (323) 264-7201.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't recall any specific restaurants, but the Korean food in LA is some of the best anywhere.

Chicken and waffles is a classic, and I liked Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken in Culver City more than the more famous Riscoe's.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Skip In n Out, it's hopelessly overrated.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed on In and Out, I don't know why so many people (who are travelling too!) go there. There is a I&O 1 block from where I live and I go there less than 1x a year.

A few off the top of my head...

Din Tai Fung (dumpling house) in Arcadia... this is state wise famous, forget just SoCal. Last time we went, we went at 2:30pm and still waited 1 hour for a seat. Hugely popular and well worth the lines.

Bella Pita (near UCLA) is my personal favorite, and I go there every time I go to LA (every so 4-6x's a year?) ..... good prices too, $6 a person.

There was also a great Persian (Iranian?) place I go to, but I forget the name and address. Really good deal, $10 a person. It was around UCLA. I may try to find it later.

Kind of an odd suggestion, but Lagers Sandwiches in central LA. I don't even like sandwiches and probably have 1 sandwich a year, so I wasn't too enthused to try this.... but was I ever in for a surprise. Best sandwich I've ever had. Again you'll get lines, we went at 2pm and we were waiting for 20 minutes, and that is one big restaurant.

Last edited by Phanuthier; 08-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Phanuthier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

the name of the Iranian place is : Shamshiri Grill, on Westwood

you got to wonder how much time those wives had to find so many different ways of making rice....
Old 08-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

In'n'Out tasted a lot better when Calgary had just ok burgers. Now a place like Five Guys or Clive equals, and probably betters, what you get there so it's nothing special.

In terms of tips, if you find yourself on the PCH (and you should, it's a really nice drive) in Laguna Beach, definitely stop at a place called Taco Loco. The best fish tacos Ive ever eaten by far. I make a point to go there every time I'm in the area.

LA has some amazing Mexican food. Just look for the roadside trucks or crappy looking places that have lineups. Those tend to be the best, imo.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
In'n'Out tasted a lot better when Calgary had just ok burgers. Now a place like Five Guys or Clive equals, and probably betters, what you get there so it's nothing special.

In terms of tips, if you find yourself on the PCH (and you should, it's a really nice drive) in Laguna Beach, definitely stop at a place called Taco Loco. The best fish tacos Ive ever eaten by far. I make a point to go there every time I'm in the area.

LA has some amazing Mexican food. Just look for the roadside trucks or crappy looking places that have lineups. Those tend to be the best, imo.
Agreed on Taco Loco. Best fish and shrimp tacos I've ever had. Try getting it "blackened" as well for more flavor. They also have a lot of taco specials daily, like lobster, different fresh fish, etc.

Regarding In-and-out, sure there are places like Five Guys and Clive Burger in calgary that probably taste just as good as In-and-out, but the thing with In-and-out is the value. You'll probably be paying McDonald's type pricing for Five Guys quality
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angeles , food , los , restaurant , suggestion