Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
good . this city is congested enough as it is .. the road system can barely accommodate the current pop with how much it has shot up the last ten years . if anything i'd like to see a decline in population to coincide with the completion of the ring road and green line . maybe getting around this place won't be such a nightmare
Yikes, no you wouldn't want that at all, none of us would. You'd be able to get around a bit better, sure, and that would come with a nightmare amount of other problems. Even through Covid job loss we've seen crime getting more and more prevalent and in your face in the city.

A declining population will make the current issues look like a cakewalk. Just google what's happened in some major and medium sized American cities when jobs leave and population starts declining.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #82
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A declining population will make the current issues look like a cakewalk. Just google what's happened in some major and medium sized American cities when jobs leave and population starts declining.
Personally, I don't even have to google it. I lived through the 1980s in Calgary, when people were selling their houses for a dollar just to get away.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #83
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

regina? saskatoon? lol
Old 11-05-2022, 12:05 AM   #84
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Just moved to Saskatoon. It’s awesome actually. Reminds me of Calgary when I was growing up. If you’re looking for easy to get around and less people this is 100% your place. Great food here too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #85
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just stating how in a perfect world I'd be happy to deal with less people over the course of the day in the city . don't need a lesson on what a declining population means . thank you though
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:22 AM   #86
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Just moved to Saskatoon. It’s awesome actually. Reminds me of Calgary when I was growing up. If you’re looking for easy to get around and less people this is 100% your place. Great food here too.
I enjoyed spending a little time there . it is younger Calgary-like . I felt bad for the locals though since there didn't seem to be much to do once you got through the usual look around
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #87
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deadpool sucks, he'd be a perfect match for the Sens
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #88
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was just stating how in a perfect world I'd be happy to deal with less people over the course of the day in the city . don't need a lesson on what a declining population means . thank you though
you made a comment on a discussion board - people responded to it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #89
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree actually, and moreover, their father owned it for so long that one would think they've actually got a vested interest in running it. But to each their own.
They're, what—20 and 24 years old? I doubt the Melnyk sisters give a flying #### about owning a hockey team and have essentially no vested interest in this. It was their father's play-thing, not theirs.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #90
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, just posted that stuff because you wouldn't have one without the other.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #91
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588894030049730560

Last edited by liamenator; 11-05-2022 at 01:44 PM.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #92
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The condition means nothing, almost every team that was initially put up for sale and then relocated tried that condition.

Do you have evidence to back up this claim or are you just talking out of your @ss as usual?
Old 11-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #93
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
Do you have evidence to back up this claim or are you just talking out of your @ss as usual?
Every team that has relocated has tried to find a local buyer first and made the implications the team was staying in its market. Atlanta Thrashers did it, the Jets originally did it, the North Stars did it. The league actually encourages trying to stay in markets. Feel feel to continue to whine and cry though. Tissues are affordable.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #94
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Every team that has relocated has tried to find a local buyer first and made the implications the team was staying in its market. Atlanta Thrashers did it, the Jets originally did it, the North Stars did it. The league actually encourages trying to stay in markets. Feel feel to continue to whine and cry though. Tissues are affordable.

You are here making a completely different claim. Do you know concretely that there were actual *conditions* assigned in these examples, as you earlier suggested, rather than more informal *attempts* or *suggestions* you are now referencing?
Old 11-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #95
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are here making a completely different claim. Do you know concretely that there were actual *conditions* assigned in these examples, as you earlier suggested, rather than more informal *attempts* or *suggestions* you are now referencing?
Every team tries to keep the team in their city. Every team puts out they are going to keep the team in that city. It all depends on if an ownership group that is local steps up, it does not matter what these two girls say. If big money is offered by an out of area buyer and nobody steps up in the Ottawa region the team will relocate. That is exactly what happened with the Thrashers. Do you think the NHL prefered the team in Winnipeg as opposed to Atlanta? Not a chance. What I am saying is it really doesn't matter what is said publically, if there is no buyer for the Ottawa region the team will be sold for big money and moved elsewhere. That is just business.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:29 PM   #96
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Every team tries to keep the team in their city. Every team puts out they are going to keep the team in that city. It all depends on if an ownership group that is local steps up, it does not matter what these two girls say. If big money is offered by an out of area buyer and nobody steps up in the Ottawa region the team will relocate. That is exactly what happened with the Thrashers. Do you think the NHL prefered the team in Winnipeg as opposed to Atlanta? Not a chance. What I am saying is it really doesn't matter what is said publically, if there is no buyer for the Ottawa region the team will be sold for big money and moved elsewhere. That is just business.

OK, so you don't have actual evidence to back up your original claim that "the condition means nothing." Your examples are general remarks about public posturing and your sense of how business works rather than specific examples of actual statements issued or legal details related to these earlier sales.

What I'm saying is: rather than jumping to a definitive conclusion, maybe it would be more generous and productive for the discussion to pose questions, or to actually seek out information that would allow us to assess whether the Senators' statement about a formal condition of the sale that would keep the team in Ottawa is actually the same, or if perhaps it is different, from statements made in earlier cases.
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, so you don't have actual evidence to back up your original claim that "the condition means nothing." Your examples are general remarks about public posturing and your sense of how business works rather than specific examples of actual statements issued or legal details related to these earlier sales.

What I'm saying is: rather than jumping to a definitive conclusion, maybe it would be more generous and productive for the discussion to pose questions, or to actually seek out information that would allow us to assess whether the Senators' statement about a formal condition of the sale that would keep the team in Ottawa is actually the same, or if perhaps it is different, from statements made in earlier cases.
That works both ways. Show me the legal documents that say the team can only be sold to a buyer that guarantees the team will remain in Ottawa. I will wait.
Old 11-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #98
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, he's successful Hollywood actor rich, not NHL owner rich.
In the words of Chris Rock, athletes are rich, the white guy who writes the paychecks are wealthy
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #99
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That works both ways. Show me the legal documents that say the team can only be sold to a buyer that guarantees the team will remain in Ottawa. I will wait.
Well, you'll be waiting a long time, because I'm not the one making claims here that require that kind of evidence.

I'm curious enough about the Senators' note about the condition that, rather than assuming I know the outcome in advance, I intend to read and learn more about how this process will unfold, what the legalities and other parameters will actually be, and how those will compare to earlier franchise sales.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:38 PM   #100
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, you'll be waiting a long time, because I'm not the one making claims here that require that kind of evidence.

I'm curious enough about the Senators' note about the condition that, rather than assuming I know the outcome in advance, I intend to read and learn more about how this process will unfold, what the legalities and other parameters will actually be, and how those will compare to earlier franchise sales.
All fine and good, all I said was all teams that were relocated had stated they were going to find a local buyer. It always doesn't work out. I am sure the Sens will almost certainly find a local buyer actually so this is really running in circles for no reason.