Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #221
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Disappointing. People apparently care about their circadian rhythms, so we’ll switch the clocks twice a year and disrupt them enormously each time. Brilliant.
Disrupting for an hour twice a year, us better than disrupting day after day for an entire season.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #222
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disappointing. People apparently care about their circadian rhythms, so we’ll switch the clocks twice a year and disrupt them enormously each time. Brilliant.
Blame the province for putting the wrong question on the Ballot. If this was going to be a referendum (which it shouldn’t have been) it shouldn’t have been ranked ballot with 3 options.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #223
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is a re-count possible? Or is that why they waited a week to ensure the results are correct? The number of rejected ballots (24,304) is far in excess of the margin of victory for the "no" side (2,834).

Looks like Edmonton's 21k or so edge for "no" was a huge factor. Wow.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #224
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Disrupting for an hour twice a year, us better than disrupting day after day for an entire season.
“An hour” is pretty disingenuous though. There was a guy who called in to the radio yesterday who said “the clocks all change automatically now, so it’s no work”. I mean sure, those are both technically true, but not really the point of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Blame the province for putting the wrong question on the Ballot. If this was going to be a referendum (which it shouldn’t have been) it shouldn’t have been ranked ballot with 3 options.
I can’t see how people would be in favour of shorter summer evenings and 4:30am sunrises. I think that’s just a red herring.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #225
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary and Edmonton both voted strongly on the No side -- 12,000 difference in Calgary and 21,000 in Edmonton -- and it still ended up being less than 3,000 between them.

Medicine Hat was the area with the highest margin of victory for the Yes side. The initial reports I saw said that Grande Prairie had voted No, but these results show them strongly on the Yes side -- although Grande Prairie County was slightly on the No side.

It was by-far least-popular in the big cities and the communities around the big cities. Also, the mountain communities -- Banff, Canmore, Jasper -- went No.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #226
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People can't even figure out not to vote for someone who sexually assaults a minor, you expect them to navigate 3 choices?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #227
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
is a re-count possible? Or is that why they waited a week to ensure the results are correct? The number of rejected ballots (24,304) is far in excess of the margin of victory for the "no" side (2,834).

Looks like edmonton's 21k or so edge for "no" was a huge factor. Wow.
e=g
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #228
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can’t see how people would be in favour of shorter summer evenings and 4:30am sunrises. I think that’s just a red herring.
I can't see how people would be in favour of winter sunrises happening at 9:40 AM at the earliest. I also can't see how people would be in favour of not being able to quickly and easily know whether neighbouring jurisdictions they do business with are an hour behind or ahead of them.

Keeping DST the way it is makes sense unless enough jurisdictions around us also adopt the change.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #229
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“An hour” is pretty disingenuous though. There was a guy who called in to the radio yesterday who said “the clocks all change automatically now, so it’s no work”. I mean sure, those are both technically true, but not really the point of the discussion.

Just because you are wrong doesn’t mean everyone else is .
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #230
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This would have been awful, glad its been voted down.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #231
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Democracy is dead.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #232
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
e=g
Edmonton is "No". Good.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #233
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
People can't even figure out not to vote for someone who sexually assaults a minor, you expect them to navigate 3 choices?

3 choice referendum options, especially without a ranked ballot, provide the most entertaining results:

For example the referendum on what to name the city created with the amalgamation of Port Arthur and Fort William:

Thunder Bay: 15,870
Lakehead: 15,302
The Lakehead: 8,377

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Bay#Amalgamation
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #234
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should have been 2 questions (well, it just shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place). Something like...
1. BC, Ontario, and many US States have recently committed to discontinuing the practice of changing clocks for Daylight Saving Time. Are you in favour of Alberta discontinuing the clock change to remain in-sync with the majority of our neighbours and primary trading partners if they make such a change?

2. If Alberta discontinues the practice of changing clocks twice a year, are you in favour of Alberta remaining permanently on Mountain Standard Time or permanently on Daylight Saving Time?
Old 10-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #235
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It should have been 2 questions (well, it just shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place). Something like...
1. BC, Ontario, and many US States have recently committed to discontinuing the practice of changing clocks for Daylight Saving Time. Are you in favour of Alberta discontinuing the clock change to remain in-sync with the majority of our neighbours and primary trading partners if they make such a change?

2. If Alberta discontinues the practice of changing clocks twice a year, are you in favour of Alberta remaining permanently on Mountain Standard Time or permanently on Daylight Saving Time?
Have the others chosen daylight time or standard? From what I can recall California was talking about daylight? If everyone else is going with that, I’d hope we do also and don’t have a two hour difference.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #236
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think daylight year round would have won with a 3 option ballot. Currently the standard time and the leave it as is voted to just narrowly defeat daylight year round.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #237
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have the others chosen daylight time or standard? From what I can recall California was talking about daylight? If everyone else is going with that, I’d hope we do also and don’t have a two hour difference.
Yes, the western States and BC have all said they'll move to permanent DST. That's why they haven't done it already. US Federal law doesn't allow a state to stay on permanent DST. They can either stay on Standard time (like Arizona) or switch their clocks.

If we stayed on MST year-round, we'd be the same time as BC and the western states. If we stayed on MDT, we'd be the same time as Saskatchewan. The only way we'd be 2 hours different from the west coast would be if we went to MDT permanently and they went to PST permanently, which will never happen.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #238
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I for one love the idea of it being a dark by 6 these days eliminating any opportunity to recreate outdoors after work.

Furthermore, the idea of not being able to go for a bike ride after work without lights for must of the year sounds fantastic.

I know we always talk about extremes but the real impact is around the equinoxes and that's where daylight savings time hours are preferred IMO. I'd give up an hour of sun after work in July - I don't really need it to be light past 10 - but that hour of light in May and September is the difference between being able to go for a ride after work without lights or having to save it for the weekend.

It's so weird that the forum leans so far toward standard time year round. I don't know a single person outside of this forum that would prefer standard time over daylight time.

*Feel free to replace "ride" with any other outdoor recreation that is best enjoyed in the daylight.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #239
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just because you are wrong doesn’t mean everyone else is .
Just 50.1%
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #240
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I for one love the idea of it being a dark by 6 these days eliminating any opportunity to recreate outdoors after work.

Furthermore, the idea of not being able to go for a bike ride after work without lights for must of the year sounds fantastic.

I know we always talk about extremes but the real impact is around the equinoxes and that's where daylight savings time hours are preferred IMO. I'd give up an hour of sun after work in July - I don't really need it to be light past 10 - but that hour of light in May and September is the difference between being able to go for a ride after work without lights or having to save it for the weekend.

It's so weird that the forum leans so far toward standard time year round. I don't know a single person outside of this forum that would prefer standard time over daylight time.

*Feel free to replace "ride" with any other outdoor recreation that is best enjoyed in the daylight.
Golf. For me the difference is being able to finish a round after work all summer as opposed to not. It’s absolutely the dealbreaker to me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: