Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 02:44 AM   #3601
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another excuse "McDavid and Drai are just getting warmed up, with no training camp they haven't caught fire yet".
Every team started off the same, if anything the greasers have had it easy with no travel.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #3602
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does it work if Neal is just fat and lazy and doesn't want to get in shape, so they don't play him at all? Are the Oilers stuck with that, or do they have some sort of out?
Old 01-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #3603
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How does it work if Neal is just fat and lazy and doesn't want to get in shape, so they don't play him at all? Are the Oilers stuck with that, or do they have some sort of out?
I think there is a fairly high chance they end up buying Neal out this summer.

1.9M cap hit for 4 years and for 2 of those years they are still retaining 750k on Lucic so a 2.65M cap hit for those 2 years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #3604
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If there was a demanded trade Buffalo could do it with ease.

Something like...

To Edmonton:

Jack Eichel and Jack Quinn

To Buffalo:

McJesus
What does Edmonton do when Eichel immediately requests a trade when he arrives?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 AM   #3605
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Imagine being top 5 in the world at something.

Stockbroking, neurosurgery, fashion, directing. Something that’s automatically lucrative at a level most people can’t contemplate. Massive 7 figures as a base, and fame extending through a good portion of society.

Then being told you had to live in North America. Ok, not so bad, sure it isn’t Paris, or London, or Tokyo, but there is still beauty and culture. New York, LA, Montreal.

Well, no, it’s going to be... Edmonton. The northernmost settlement in Canada.

Yikes. What the primary industry? Diamonds and eco tourism?

No, petroleum extraction.

What do they have for culture? Do they celebrate First Nations and Inuit culture?

They have a really big mall.

Are there mountains nearby?

...yeah...real close...

Well, at least I’ll bring my talent to this backwater and with me there we’ll put it on the map!

Oh, we’re going to surround you with “local” talent. Just the dudes willing to come here for a paycheck. You’ll need to make do with them. We will send you on tour though. Fans in other cities will drool over your abilities...

...and weep at your wasted career.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Old 01-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #3606
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Andreas Anthanasiou

3 games
3 goals
He’s also +3.

If he keeps on scoring I might need to get myself an AA jersey. Go Kings!
Old 01-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #3607
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Watch them put Drai back with McDick and go 8-1-1 in their next 10.
They had those two playing together most of the third period the other night. They did jack squat!!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 AM   #3608
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

From a Ken Campbell Hockey News article about the Oilers rough start. I was wondering how long it would take before someone would call them a "young" team, like that was the cause of all their problems. Except they seem to forget the fact that the Flames are actually a younger team than the Oilers.

And if there’s anything – beyond the power play, beyond goaltending, beyond the lack of production from secondary players – that should alarm Oilers fans, it’s that. Bear was the one who sat out, but it’s pretty clear Tippett is not pleased with level of compete up and down the lineup. Just four games into the season with a team that is supposed to be young and hungry and there are already questions about their commitment and willingness to compete? That’s a tad scary.

I swear, Kevin Lowe, has sent out his trademarked memo to the media demanding that anytime the Oilers are mentioned they must be described as youthful, young etc.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:42 AM   #3609
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What does Edmonton do when Eichel immediately requests a trade when he arrives?
Holland: Jack? Ken Holland here. I'm just calling to welcome you to Edmonton! I can see big things for you here. You immediately make us a.. <Jack cuts him off>

Eichel: Trade me, right freaking now! <click>
Old 01-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #3610
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Imagine being top 5 in the world at something.

Stockbroking, neurosurgery, fashion, directing. Something that’s automatically lucrative at a level most people can’t contemplate. Massive 7 figures as a base, and fame extending through a good portion of society.

Then being told you had to live in North America. Ok, not so bad, sure it isn’t Paris, or London, or Tokyo, but there is still beauty and culture. New York, LA, Montreal.

Well, no, it’s going to be... Edmonton. The northernmost settlement in Canada.

Yikes. What the primary industry? Diamonds and eco tourism?

No, petroleum extraction.

What do they have for culture? Do they celebrate First Nations and Inuit culture?

They have a really big mall.

Are there mountains nearby?

...yeah...real close...

Well, at least I’ll bring my talent to this backwater and with me there we’ll put it on the map!

Oh, we’re going to surround you with “local” talent. Just the dudes willing to come here for a paycheck. You’ll need to make do with them. We will send you on tour though. Fans in other cities will drool over your abilities...

...and weep at your wasted career.
..wut?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #3611
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

So, I have been listening and reading to gauge Oilers fans's mindset in view of starting the season 1–3. For further context, it should be noted that while this dismal sort of start is nothing new for Edmonton, it never ends well: since 2010 the Oilers have started 1–3 or worse five times; in four of those seasons they have finished either 28th, 29th or 30th; in their best season after starting so poorly they finished 23rd in 2017–18.

Anyhow, fans and media alike are in near-panic with the current situation, and there are a couple of changes that they imagine will make an immediate improvement:

1. Line adjustment which results in Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and Yamammoto together on a line: fans are absolutely pissed about the fact that the "DRY line" has not yet seen the ice together this season. So much so that many see this as a serious enough indictment to cost Dave Tippet his job. The expectation is that this single adjustment makes the Oilers a great team that can win. How realistic is this hope? It seems completely delusional to me to imagine that a simple line adjustment would resolve all of their problems, especially in the light of how briefly this group played together last year.

2. The return of James Neal: according to Oilers fans James Neal is just what the Oilers need right now. His "filthy mitts in close" (yes, that IS a direct quote) are apparently sorely missed on the powerplay, and he also possesses a remarkably calming influence that helps keep things light on the bench. Neal can make a direct impact on the team's play and results by way of his mere presence that is surely to help them succeed. I have to say, this is a completely different James Neal from what I remember of his time in Calgary.

No.

Not even the stupefyingly over-rated "DRY-line," nor the legendary quasi-leadership facade of James Neal can save the Oilers.

No one can. Nothing can.

Not a thing.

Edmonton is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #3612
Alpheus
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
..wut?

Edmonton is the northernmost city in North America with a population of over 1 million.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:23 AM   #3613
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

People getting totally tilted over line combinations always makes me laugh.

Cause coaching is 90% line combos amirite.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #3614
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

McAvi needs to put on his Big Boy Sweatpants.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #3615
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Is that Pull-Ups Sweatpants that you get from the big mall?
Old 01-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #3616
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

1. Line adjustment which results in Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and Yamammoto together on a line: fans are absolutely pissed about the fact that the "DRY line" has not yet seen the ice together this season. So much so that many see this as a serious enough indictment to cost Dave Tippet his job. The expectation is that this single adjustment makes the Oilers a great team that can win. How realistic is this hope? It seems completely delusional to me to imagine that a simple line adjustment would resolve all of their problems, especially in the light of how briefly this group played together last year.
I'd like to see them together too ... see if what they did last year was sustainable.

Sometimes good to great players can just roll out great numbers year after year, but Nugent Hopkins has never had those numbers, and Yamamoto only played a half season.

Can Draisaitl elevate players that much?

Some numbers ...

Average NHL forward on ice shooting percentage 8.2%
The top 50 NHL forwards by xGF last season averaged 9.0%

Yamamoto led all NHL forwards with 12.5% on ice shooting percentage.

The Oilers also had McDavid (14th), Draisaitl (16th), and Kassian (22nd) in the top 25

Nugent Hopkins is way down the list at 73rd.

Finally ... if you look at actual goals vs expected goals into ice time, Yamamoto is 2nd to only Kadri in surplus vs expected /60. Draisaitl is 26th, McDavid 31st, Kassian 37th

Great players have better stats in these cases for sure, but that's a lot of Edmonton mentions in stats that look a little bloated.

The Calgary perspective?

On ice shooting percentage ...
Mangiapane 68th
Tkachuk 87th
Backlund 90th
Lindholm 141st
Lucic 165th

the rest of the forwards were under the league average including Johnny Gaudreau at 224th and Sean Monahan at 250th.

Looking at GF-xGF/60 ...

Mangiapane 102nd
Backlund 105th
Dube 130th
Lucic 148th
Lindholm 149th
Tkachuk 156th
Ryan 209th
Gaudreau 231st

the rest of the forwards were under water ... meaning they had less goals when on the ice than expected

Good summary of when things go right and when things don't.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #3617
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
.... if you look at actual goals vs expected goals into ice time, Yamamoto is 2nd to only Kadri in surplus vs expected /60. Draisaitl is 26th, McDavid 31st, Kassian 37th

Great players have better stats in these cases for sure, but that's a lot of Edmonton mentions in stats that look a little bloated.
Thanks, Bingo. Can you help me understand what this "actual goals v. expected goals" means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #3618
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The problem for the Oilers is that they're only playing 6 opponents this year, not 29. So coaches have had a lot more time to focus on systems. You can bet the coaches out in the Canadian Division all said the same thing. The oilers last year were awful 5v5, so take away their power play and penalty kill success and they're dead in the water.

Add to it, it looks like teams are blatantly shooting to Koskinen's glove side and having pretty good success with that.

It doesn't help that McDavid has looked completely uninterested except for 1 game and Drai has looked pretty selfish so far.

I'll content that its a combination of coaching (Tippett being over rated) and leadership. The Oilers through in the towel in the last game after 20 minutes. The whole lot of them. Who's that one.

They lose tonight to the Leafs, and they should be overwhelmed by the Leaf's forwards and The Oilers are 10% and deep into their home schedule with dismal results, and the rage, crying and panic will increase.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-20-2021, 12:00 PM   #3619
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Four games into the season and it's a full blown crisis up there Hahaha.
And in Vancouver too...meanwhile we off to a nice little start here, beating them with their own former players haha. Things are good
Old 01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #3620
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
Is that Pull-Ups Sweatpants that you get from the big mall?
The man literally has a sweatpant 'Suit.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Closed Thread