Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #461
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
As much as Nenshi's personality/smug-ness rubs people wrong now, he truly took on the job passionate about making the city better, and likely still does.

This Macleans article a few months back did a decent job unpacking some of this.

I don't get the sense he's going to run again. But I agree with you, despite his (many) flaws, I do feel like he's a person who is actually looking out for the interests of the average Calgarian. Or at least he believes he is. Seems like the meat grinder of politics is having its way with him.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #462
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
You take that back. If you think Nenshi is full of himself, Jeff Davison says "hold my beer". Unlike Nenshi, he is interested in Davison first and foremost. As much as Nenshi's personality/smug-ness rubs people wrong now, he truly took on the job passionate about making the city better, and likely still does.

Davison on the other hand, is solely interested in advancing his own image, status, and sway. He's a stereotypical politician.
Agreed 100%. This dude is a self-serving sycophant. He was basically the main Councillor figure in getting the City to spend money on the Arena. I initially thought he would be a great figure on Council, but it appears he can be bought and paid for. He was also one of the main Councillors to push for a deprecated Green Line and supported the approval of new communities to push Calgary outward yet again. I believe Gondek voted/spoke in favor of that too. Davison appears to be easily swayed by private interest groups. I wouldn't be game for that. But then, I no longer live in Calgary and can't vote
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #463
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This si great news. It means a new Councillor for Ward 11!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #464
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This si great news. It means a new Councillor for Ward 11!
Playing with fire, but can we get Chu to throw his hat in the ring too?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #465
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, can we maybe get some term limits? Three sounds reasonable.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #466
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Farkas is an "avid cyclist", so if he wins he'll blanket the city in cycle tracks right? Or at least that is what we can put out there.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #467
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Farkas is an "avid cyclist", so if he wins he'll blanket the city in cycle tracks right? Or at least that is what we can put out there.
If he was a real fiscal conservative he would. But those aren't a thing anymore. It's just literally spend nothing and provide nothing.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #468
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Agreed 100%. This dude is a self-serving sycophant. He was basically the main Councillor figure in getting the City to spend money on the Arena. I initially thought he would be a great figure on Council, but it appears he can be bought and paid for. He was also one of the main Councillors to push for a deprecated Green Line and supported the approval of new communities to push Calgary outward yet again. I believe Gondek voted/spoke in favor of that too. Davison appears to be easily swayed by private interest groups. I wouldn't be game for that. But then, I no longer live in Calgary and can't vote

I think I posted this in the last election thread from 2017, but Davison came to my house door knocking, and immediately you could tell he is fake and just looking to this role as a stepping stone. It's been no surprise as he flip flops on issues and sells his vote based on who he is appeasing or who might give him the best "next step" after councillor-hood.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #469
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
provide nothing.
That's not fair. They provide countless opportunities for corporations to trade the common good for private profits.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #470
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be nice to see Councillors focus on the basics of civic government and services vs broader agendas and matters that reside at the Provincial and Federal levels of government.... Certain Councillors seem to forget the humble aspect of dealing with their constituent's immediate concerns (i.e. garbage, dangerous intersection in their Ward) while they have their heads in the clouds...

I am by no means a Sun reading "Taaaaaxpayers!" type but when I hear the tax bills being paid by independent business owners in Calgary it staggers me and is completely unsustainable.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 04:20 PM   #471
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Can anyone name one important initiative Farkas has spearheaded, gotten support for, and passed? Being the voice of dissent doesn't give you much of a body of work to point at. He's had an opportunity to lead as a councillor and has completely failed.
Lead pipes? In a bizarro world, a joint proposal between him and Druh passed...

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...es-across-city
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #472
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I wish Shane Keating wasn’t getting out. I think he would have been a great mayor.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #473
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
It would be nice to see Councillors focus on the basics of civic government and services vs broader agendas and matters that reside at the Provincial and Federal levels of government.... Certain Councillors seem to forget the humble aspect of dealing with their constituent's immediate concerns (i.e. garbage, dangerous intersection in their Ward) while they have their heads in the clouds...

I am by no means a Sun reading "Taaaaaxpayers!" type but when I hear the tax bills being paid by independent business owners in Calgary it staggers me and is completely unsustainable.
My councillor has completely failed at this. Not to get into details but we have been chasing the city on some repairs for 18 months and get little to no help from their office.

It took a news crew doing a report to even get a response, then back to nothing. It is infuriating. Yet I see this counselor spouting these social engineering plans all over Facebook and the news.

Coming from an IT background, if you can’t deliver a laptop, people won’t do a project with you. You take care of the basics first, gain credibility and then you get license to do bigger things.

It seems today everyone overlooks what gets them real success. Probably because it isn’t sexy or glamorous to fix a road or deliver some hardware.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #474
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know what Greg Clark is up to these days? We were having a convo at work about mayor candidates we could actually stomach and I thought of him as a Calgarian politician that genuinally seems like he gives a crap about people
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #475
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Does anyone know what Greg Clark is up to these days? We were having a convo at work about mayor candidates we could actually stomach and I thought of him as a Calgarian politician that genuinally seems like he gives a crap about people
Was appointed to chair the Alberta balancing pool.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6143353/u...ol-greg-clark/

I think he’d be a good mayor as well, depending on the make up of council. He’s a consensus maker and too polarized a group things might get away from him. Might be too nice a guy for politics, sad as it is to say.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #476
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You got to wonder if Kent Hehr will go for it? Pretty decent name recognition, on par or more than Farkas in that respect.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #477
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
My councillor has completely failed at this. Not to get into details but we have been chasing the city on some repairs for 18 months and get little to no help from their office.

Coming from an IT background, if you can’t deliver a laptop, people won’t do a project with you. You take care of the basics first, gain credibility and then you get license to do bigger things.
Anecdotally, I've heard Sean Chu is actually responsive to constituent concerns like what you describe. He might seem nuts to the rest of the City, but I think this partly explains why his constituents vote him in.

Crazy concept that - responding to and representing the immediate needs of your constituents...
Old 09-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #478
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You got to wonder if Kent Hehr will go for it? Pretty decent name recognition, on par or more than Farkas in that respect.
Quite possibly the only candidate that would make me vote for Farkas if I had to choose between the two. Hehr would be awful.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #479
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Anecdotally, I've heard Sean Chu is actually responsive to constituent concerns like what you describe. He might seem nuts to the rest of the City, but I think this partly explains why his constituents vote him in.

Crazy concept that - responding to and representing the immediate needs of your constituents...
No different than the Rob/Doug Ford playbook. This isn't a new concept. That said, Rob Ford's "call backs" had problems in that he was just doing it for votes and not because he actually cared (he wasn't even managing his own calls, and would often get names and issues wrong). I believe this was outlined quite well in the Gravy Train podcast on him.

TLDR: normal playbook to look like a hero to the people.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #480
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Hehr would have a chance in Ward 8, no chance for mayor. Liberal MP with “grievances” against him wouldn’t fly city wide even if he’s popular in his community.

My prediction is that Davison will run, and probably walk away with it.

If Davison doesn’t, Gondek will.

If Davison and Gondek don’t, Nenshi will run again.

If Davison AND Gondek run, they might split the vote leaving it open for Farkas.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat