Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2023, 08:11 PM   #6801
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

PC with modded Skyrim and No Man's Sky

Hopefully Starfield can take the great parts of No Man's Sky but add some depth. No Man's Sky has turned into an incredible game, but it's still quite shallow
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2023, 08:32 PM   #6802
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
PS4 with The Witcher 3 Complete and Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Be busy for a while.
Why not the PS5 with those two??
Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #6803
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why not the PS5 with those two??
In hypotheticals, why not a PC??
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #6804
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed the whole Starfield partnership thing with AMD. Doesn't seem to bode well everything else being equal with them blocking DLSS.

Another reason to wait I guess. See if modders can fix it down the road like Jedi Survivor.

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-pa...-is-not-happy/

The nixxing of rival implementations is an accusation AMD hasn't actually denied, but it has skirted the question when asked whether blocking the likes of DLSS and XeSS are functions of AMD sponsorship. For its part, Nvidia explicitly stated that it "does not, and will not block, restrict, discourage, or hinder developers from implementing competitor technologies in any way."

The reaction to the announcement of the AMD x Starfield partnership has not been particularly positive even on the r/Amd subreddit, often a bastion of support for everything the red team does. A lot of folk are invoking Jedi: Survivor as exemplary of how bad things might be for Starfield's launch. So yeah, things are actually actively hostile out there.

It's actually more measured over on r/nvidia, where there just seems to be an air of resignation to the fact it's going to have to rely on modders to squeeze some extra performance out of the game.

https://wccftech.com/whats-up-with-t...titles/?dark=1

The only problem is that gamers on NVIDIA camp are being punished for not having DLSS support integrated into their favorite games. Considering the number of bad PC ports that we have gotten this year, upscaling technologies can assist a lot in boosting performance but having just FSR and leaving out DLSS or XeSS support only means that you are hurting gamers and not NVIDIA or Intel in the process.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:15 AM   #6805
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have enjoyed the nostalgia that AEW fight forever has been able to provide. I haven’t been a pro wrestling fan for more than 20 years but as a kid I was a huge fan. Fight forever is a modern version of WCW Revenge/WWF No Mercy/Def Jam. It has been pretty fun to play with but I am unsure how long the replay value will hold up. I am only familiar with the older competitors but so far so good. If you are a wrestling fan or fighting games in general I recommend
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 06:02 AM   #6806
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

finished the Horizon Forbidden West DLC "Burning Shores" yesterday. I quite liked it, but I do think it falls short of the Zero Dawn DLC "Frozen Wilds". The new machines in Frozen Wilds (Scorcher, Fireclaw and Frostclaw) were simply fantastic, the new ones in Burning Shores are pretty underwhelming. The antagonist was also pretty weak ... just cartoonishly evil and not interesting at all.

Best thing about it was Aloy's character development, I quite liked that. It was easy to see very early on why this DLC got review bombed at release, but it's even more ridiculous when you actually get to the end and the game gives you the ####ing option whether you want to kiss a certain character or not. I guess even having the choice was too much for some idiots out there, but it is what it is. Seeing Lance Riddick as Sylens for a final time was bittersweet ... will be interesting to see what they do with the character in the third game. Easily the most interesting character of the series. He was a great actor, but Lance Riddick will also be gravely missed in the world of video games.

All in all, I felt it was solid. I think the overall story already faceplanted in the main game, so now you just have to roll with it. I still enjoy the characters, the overall world and the fighting, so I'm cool with having a third game (which is already in development) ... but then that's got to be it with this IP.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:33 AM   #6807
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
finished the Horizon Forbidden West DLC "Burning Shores" yesterday. I quite liked it, but I do think it falls short of the Zero Dawn DLC "Frozen Wilds". The new machines in Frozen Wilds (Scorcher, Fireclaw and Frostclaw) were simply fantastic, the new ones in Burning Shores are pretty underwhelming. The antagonist was also pretty weak ... just cartoonishly evil and not interesting at all.

Best thing about it was Aloy's character development, I quite liked that. It was easy to see very early on why this DLC got review bombed at release, but it's even more ridiculous when you actually get to the end and the game gives you the ####ing option whether you want to kiss a certain character or not. I guess even having the choice was too much for some idiots out there, but it is what it is. Seeing Lance Riddick as Sylens for a final time was bittersweet ... will be interesting to see what they do with the character in the third game. Easily the most interesting character of the series. He was a great actor, but Lance Riddick will also be gravely missed in the world of video games.

All in all, I felt it was solid. I think the overall story already faceplanted in the main game, so now you just have to roll with it. I still enjoy the characters, the overall world and the fighting, so I'm cool with having a third game (which is already in development) ... but then that's got to be it with this IP.
I thought it was good as well... I probably left a lot undone, as I am not a big completionist...but really gorgeous game and game play was solid throughout.

Really sad about Lance Riddick though, as I would have loved to see where the finale took Aloy and Lance...maybe they would become actual friends.

I was a little surprised with the controversy; it was a bit of fake outrage imo...I didn't think it was something that added much to the story, but it didn't hurt it in anyway either. At the end of the day, just surprised that people got so upset with a video game character...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #6808
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vampire Survivors is a surprisingly fun game. Reminds me quite a bit of the old arcade quarter-eater Gauntlet.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 02:26 PM   #6809
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Vampire Survivors is a surprisingly fun game. Reminds me quite a bit of the old arcade quarter-eater Gauntlet.
It's a new genre apparently now. There was a humble bundle of games that were pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...humble_bundle/

Scarlet Tower and Nomad Survival might be of interest even with the bundle over.

This also looked good but I haven't tried it yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #6810
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Steam does weird things sometimes. For example, I want Octopath Traveler II (I haven't played the first one but by all accounts it's mediocre and you can just start with II which also by all accounts is amazing). It's on sale for 59.99. It's also part of a bundle with a port of an iPhone game called "Various Daylife", for 55.63. So obviously the smart thing to do is buy the bundle, I guess, but I don't even want the second game. It's just weird.
Octopath Traveller 2 is on sale on PS and I want to play it but I am scared off by the reports it overheats the PS5 and shuts it down randomly. Apparently FF16 is doing the same thing and both are Square Enix games, sounds like some kind of bug in their new games that is causing this as the PS5 can handle these games no problem. Hopefully they figure out a fix.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:35 PM   #6811
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to reiterate that battlebit remastered is the best fps since the free wolf et!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:04 AM   #6812
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wicked Firaxis sale at Humble:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...artner=lbabinz
Old 07-11-2023, 01:37 PM   #6813
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up the Uncharted collection (games 1 - 3) from the library. Didn't want to spend money in case I didn't like it.

Fun game. Currently trying to battle my way upstream to the monastery but have stepped away for a bit - fingers hurt from pushing and pushing upstream. I'm somewhat terrible at driving this sea-doo.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #6814
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's a new genre apparently now. There was a humble bundle of games that were pretty good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...humble_bundle/

Scarlet Tower and Nomad Survival might be of interest even with the bundle over.

This also looked good but I haven't tried it yet.

I've been playing Halls of Torment and I'm addicted.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #6815
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Picked up the Uncharted collection (games 1 - 3) from the library. Didn't want to spend money in case I didn't like it.

Fun game. Currently trying to battle my way upstream to the monastery but have stepped away for a bit - fingers hurt from pushing and pushing upstream. I'm somewhat terrible at driving this sea-doo.
This is one of my favorite franchises. Nathan Drake is awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

There is also an Uncharted 4, and it might just be the best one.

Did you get the remastered versions for the newer gen PS4/5?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 04:10 PM   #6816
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Did anyone else get some Vampire Survivors cards today? One of them is trading for over seven bucks. Cha-ching.

I've been bamboozled. They price is plummeting.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 07-11-2023 at 04:14 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:58 PM   #6817
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This is one of my favorite franchises. Nathan Drake is awesome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

There is also an Uncharted 4, and it might just be the best one.

Did you get the remastered versions for the newer gen PS4/5?
I don't think this is the remastered. I just took what was available. Will try and order in 4 thru the library, or buy, whichever works.

I FINALLY got through the uphill rapids/waterfalls bit - I think my wrist might be broken.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #6818
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Did anyone else get some Vampire Survivors cards today? One of them is trading for over seven bucks. Cha-ching.

I've been bamboozled. They price is plummeting.
I still . . . don't get the steam cards economy. Except that one crazy mask thingy I sold for a few hundred from some redemption thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2023, 05:46 PM   #6819
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I've been playing Halls of Torment and I'm addicted.
I am still playing VS, but I've almost completed it. I've picked up Halls for my next game.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 07:36 PM   #6820
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The dumbest thing in Diablo IV is my Rogue runs faster than my horse.

EDIT: Finished the campaign at level 54, jumped straight to WT3, it's quite a bit harder, but I assume better gear will drop.. I just found a yellow crossbow that's almost 50% more damage than my current one!

I also didn't realize that the Lilith Altars you find are for all the difficulties in eternal mode, I didn't spend much time hunting them down I guess I should do that first thing as that's a lot of stats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post: