Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #6001
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The backwards compatibility feels like big misstep. I have a library of games I've half finished on the current PSVR that would be fun to play with better controls and I refuse to re-buy them when they do get upgraded for PSVR2.
My guess is that to be compatible from the system level, too much would break. It'd be such a system seller they must have considered it at least. Based on the few devs that are offering free upgrades to psvr 2, I don't get the impression that doing it at the developer level is crazy difficult (especially if the game is on other platforms with similar controls).

I'm with you in that I have tons of PSVR games that could benefit from an upgrade. My hope is a bunch do upgrades similar to how PS4 --> PS5 upgrades rolled out slowly over the year after launch. Some weren't free but many were.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:49 AM   #6002
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played a bit of Warhammer 40k: Dark Tide last night, the pre-beta release for people who pre-ordered. Good amount of fun to be had, especially if you're playing with friends on voice comms.

Also started Pokemon: Violet last night as well--so far having fun considering I haven't played a pokemon game since X+Y. Some of my friends on older Switch devices are saying they are having some performance issues, but I picked up an OLED for this and it seems to be running smoothly.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #6003
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Played a bit of Warhammer 40k: Dark Tide last night, the pre-beta release for people who pre-ordered. Good amount of fun to be had, especially if you're playing with friends on voice comms.

Also started Pokemon: Violet last night as well--so far having fun considering I haven't played a pokemon game since X+Y. Some of my friends on older Switch devices are saying they are having some performance issues, but I picked up an OLED for this and it seems to be running smoothly.
All Switch platforms have the same internals, just different screens. Scarlet / Violet will have major performance issues wherever you play it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:58 AM   #6004
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
All Switch platforms have the same internals, just different screens. Scarlet / Violet will have major performance issues wherever you play it.
I never claimed otherwise, just that my friends have said it and that I've not experienced any noticeable performance issues thus far. But good to know.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #6005
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just picked up Violet too. Haven't started it yet but already I'm desperate for Nintendo to do a hardware update, just imagine this or Arceus with even close to up to date graphics!
Old 11-18-2022, 03:19 PM   #6006
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just picked up Violet too. Haven't started it yet but already I'm desperate for Nintendo to do a hardware update, just imagine this or Arceus with even close to up to date graphics!
These ugly / poor-performance Pokemon games aren't a Switch problem, they're a Game Freak problem. Nintendo will come out with a new Switch in 1-2 years and Game Freak will make another ugly Pokemon game with bad performance. Compare them to something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, that game is like a whole generation ahead graphically and runs a lot better too. As long as they're the lead developer you'll never see anything close to a good looking game.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 11-18-2022 at 03:38 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 03:43 PM   #6007
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
These ugly / poor-performance Pokemon games aren't a Switch problem, they're a Game Freak problem. Nintendo will come out with a new Switch in 1-2 years and Game Freak will make another ugly Pokemon game with bad performance. Compare them to something like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, that game is like a whole generation ahead graphically and runs a lot better too. As long as they're the lead developer you'll never see anything close to a good looking game.
Game Freak really needs to slow down their release schedule. This game is Assassin's Creed release day bad right now. It needs a lot more time in the oven.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:42 PM   #6008
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Game Freak really needs to slow down their release schedule. This game is Assassin's Creed release day bad right now. It needs a lot more time in the oven.
Why though? Pokemon is the most profitable franchise in the world, and the games are always at the top of the sales charts regardless of how little effort they put into them, so why would they change anything?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #6009
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Why though? Pokemon is the most profitable franchise in the world, and the games are always at the top of the sales charts regardless of how little effort they put into them, so why would they change anything?
2 medicore mainline games in a row will do a hit to consumer confidence. Maybe right now it doesn't hurt GF but it will sooner or later.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:54 PM   #6010
photon

Exp:

Anyone play the new Pokemon game with a pro style controller? The camera seems TERRIBLE it either swings to a top down view so I can't see anything around me or swings up to a lovely view of the sky and I can't see anything around me. To get a stable horizontal view I have to manage the camera like 95% of the time. Maybe next time I'll try my joycons to see if it acts different.

So far I'd say the game feels really unpolished. Pretty laggy, things are slow, lots of frame stuttering and hitching. Camera clipping through the ground, people walk in like 5fps. The camera whips around exiting stores which is super disorienting.

Not a big fan of the look of terastallizing, but the ability to add a type seems like it could make for some really cool stuff.

Hopefully some patching cleans up the worst of it, but I'll have to find some solution for the camera otherwise I won't be able to play it, the constant adjusting the camera is borderline vertigo triggering.

EDIT: I watched some videos of people playing and they do not have the same camera issue I'm having, will definitely have to try the joycons.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #6011
photon

Exp:

Tried the joycons and they work exactly as I'd have expected. Switched back to the pro style controller and the camera pans up or down all over as I move around making it unplayable. I wonder if it's because the controller doesn't have gyros?

Annoying, hopefully they patch it to fix it.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #6012
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

God of war was pretty fun. Basically the exact same game as the first with some story changes and a big game mechanic change that I didn’t care for. Kind of a story spoiler below

Spoiler!

What else is supposed to come out before the holidays?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #6013
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
God of war was pretty fun. Basically the exact same game as the first with some story changes and a big game mechanic change that I didn’t care for. Kind of a story spoiler below

Spoiler!

The Callisto Protocol might turn out pretty good. I'm waiting for reviews on it.

Dragon Quest Treasures on Switch. I can't be the only one?

Otherwise it quiets down now until end of January / into February where it goes nuts again (barring delays).
Old 11-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #6014
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is finally coming to Steam on December 6th.

I played it whenever I got a free trial of Ubisoft+ but I have an OCD about having incomplete collections on clients so I held off buying it hoping it would eventually come to Steam.

Last edited by Inferno; 11-21-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #6015
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post

Spoiler!

Son is that you?

My boy gave me the same feedback, he loves God of War, but he's not in love with this game.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #6016
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Son is that you?

My boy gave me the same feedback, he loves God of War, but he's not in love with this game.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 05:49 PM   #6017
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Callisto Protocol might turn out pretty good. I'm waiting for reviews on it.

Dragon Quest Treasures on Switch. I can't be the only one?

Otherwise it quiets down now until end of January / into February where it goes nuts again (barring delays).

Nope, preordered it the minute it was available.

(Of course, the combined 60 slime metal figures and plush I have on my desk may say I have a bit of a DQ problem )
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2022, 06:09 PM   #6018
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
(Of course, the combined 60 slime metal figures and plush I have on my desk may say I have a bit of a DQ problem )
Did you see these mousepads?

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:44 PM   #6019
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Did you see these mousepads?

I did just not sure I want to pay $35 for em
gallione11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:50 AM   #6020
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Son is that you?

I think if you liked 2018 you will like Ragnarok. If you didn't like the changes made to the series then, Ragnarok probably won't do much for you.

I think it's excellent, it feels a lot more like a grand adventure than 2018 did and fixes a lot of what I found boring in the first - great side quests, big boss fights, varied locations, tons and tons to do and see. I even like playing as Atreus, he has a whole different play style than Kratos that feels almost like a third person shooter.