Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #5861
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, yep... although FFXII was also a flawed game and I understand that was the director's previous one? Anyway, we'll see. It's not Nomura so I'm not immediately skeptical.

In unrelated news, the free game on Epic this week is Fallout 3. Which I still say is a very mediocre game, but for those who enjoyed it, free is free.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #5862
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Resident Evil showcase is coming up in about 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/TYLFBFJ-JRY
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #5863
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, the combat animations really looked . . . janky. The blending into one animation after another was pretty bad. It seems to snap from one enemy to another so that something like a flip will comically barrel roll like 15 feet across to another enemy somehow.

Hopefully it'll be properly patched up on PC.

https://www.techspot.com/news/96342-...ng-gotham.html

Lee Devonald, a Senior Character Technical Artist from Rocksteady, tweeted that the real culprit isn't the game features; it's the Xbox Series S. He says the cheaper Xbox Series isn't much better than its last-gen predecessor. And as multi-platform games have to be optimized for the lowest performer, the XBS, which Devonald calls a "potato," is hamstringing "an entire generation of games."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1581279788873883649
This is interesting for a couple reasons, Rocksteady had nothing to do with this game so interesting that Lee is speaking out on this. Perhaps he is setting up for mediocre performance on the next Rocksteady DC release in Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League.

Another interesting point is that other developers have succeeded on not only the Series S but delivered great upgrades on the the PS5 and XSX that show of the power of the beefier systems.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #5864
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Resident Evil showcase is coming up in about 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/TYLFBFJ-JRY
here's an edited version for the gameplay trailer and the story trailer

i'm impressed...can see the DNA of the original, but modernized... not quite a jump to current gen, as it is being offered for last gen, but still looks good.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 06:59 PM   #5865
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Gotham Knights just looks bad man. I dunno if I’ve ever seen a more over-designed, focus group, trend chasing AAA game. Absolutely nothing about it looks unique or interesting or exciting.
You know what I love about a Batman game; Batgirl, Robin, Night something and a dude with excellent Gun-Katta
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #5866
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'll still probably give it a try, I'd play a game with any one of those as the main character so was looking forward to this game, too bad the reviews are poor. How can combat be poor when it was so good in the Arkham games?

Or I'll just play Spider-Man Morales instead I guess.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #5867
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
here's an edited version for the gameplay trailer and the story trailer

i'm impressed...can see the DNA of the original, but modernized... not quite a jump to current gen, as it is being offered for last gen, but still looks good.
I've been skeptical about this remake because I think the game aged pretty well and I'd have rather seen Code Veronica or even Zero get the remake treatment instead, but this looks very promising indeed. Looks like it's a bit darker/horror leaning than the original, which is more than fine in my books.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:02 PM   #5868
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I like the music in the trailer. Was FFXIV music good?
My playlist of FFXIV music I like is up to 197 tracks with the newest patch. I'd say it's preeeeeetty good.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:58 PM   #5869
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I've been skeptical about this remake because I think the game aged pretty well and I'd have rather seen Code Veronica or even Zero get the remake treatment instead, but this looks very promising indeed. Looks like it's a bit darker/horror leaning than the original, which is more than fine in my books.
Yeah, that's fair for sure. Code Veronica would be awesome to see (and preferred as I never played it).

I generally don't mind remakes; though it would be nice to remake games that don't already have remakes (I love LoU, but there's a ton of other games I wish they had remade instead)

I though Capcom's remake of RE2 was great, so I'll probably pick this up at some point... Dead Space or Callisto Protocol will be my next horror game though
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:59 PM   #5870
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't played it in a while but caught up to all the achievements again in Vampire Survivors.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #5871
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really enjoying Scorn which is free on gamepass. It's a must play if you are a fan of the Alien universe and H.R. Giger or puzzle solving games. The visuals are amazing and is the atmosphere of dread. It's strictly a puzzle game as you try to escape your surroundings. There is some combat but it's best to try and avoid as much as possible as ammunition and health is scarce. Some really imaginative puzzles and it's been a while since I have been challenged like this on some of the puzzles. Once you get a feel for how the puzzle system works it gets easier.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #5872
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of GamePass, I've been playing the new A Plague Tale: Requiem, and it is excellent. If you're a fan of the cinematic third person action / adventure game, or enjoyed the first one, it's a must play.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 09:19 AM   #5873
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

new wrc game coming out.. could be pretty good! (wrc generations - november 3rd)
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #5874
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of GamePass, I've been playing the new A Plague Tale: Requiem, and it is excellent. If you're a fan of the cinematic third person action / adventure game, or enjoyed the first one, it's a must play.
That’s next on my list of gamepass games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #5875
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
new wrc game coming out.. could be pretty good! (wrc generations - november 3rd)
It does look good! I have it preordered on PS5, soft spot for rally racers. It's the last year for Kylotonn to make an official WRC game as the license is going to Codemasters for 2023.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 10:42 AM   #5876
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm about half way through and I really enjoy it too. Although I've experienced quite a few lags/framerate drops, which is disappointing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #5877
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Been playing the PC release of Uncharted 4 and I quite like it. My FPS is a solid 70+ with a 2080 in 1440p. Mouse controls are quite good, I almost never ran into a situation where I felt the mouse or camera was causing me a problem.

It has some amazing views for being 6 years old.

Probably my only complaint is things felt a little too straight forward.. the puzzles or the path to take to progress through the area felt pretty linear.. the next handhold or rope swing was obvious. So the gameplay loop gets a bit stale but the story is nice.

Looking forward to the release of the other ones, I don't think I ever played Uncharted 3, or if I did I never finished it.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #5878
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncharted 4 was when game graphics got to the point where I said... this is it. Graphics don't really need to get any better from here.

And I don't think they have. I mean I know they technically have (not the least of which is Naughty Dog's own next game, The Last of Us Part 2) but when you factor in Uncharted 4's original release was on the Playstation 4 six years ago and it still looks better than 95% of games that come out today... yeah, I think it says a lot.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:29 PM   #5879
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uncharted 4 was when game graphics got to the point where I said... this is it. Graphics don't really need to get any better from here.

And I don't think they have. I mean I know they technically have (not the least of which is Naughty Dog's own next game, The Last of Us Part 2) but when you factor in Uncharted 4's original release was on the Playstation 4 six years ago and it still looks better than 95% of games that come out today... yeah, I think it says a lot.
I think part of it is the focus on either resolution or frame rate.

There are some games to me that have taken the next step on the PS5 / Series X (Ratchet and Clank being one that stands out to me, Demon Souls, and Horizon being the standouts) but really the focus has been 4K or 60 FPS.

So with that in mind I think the true graphical fidelity from a environment perspective hasn't taken huge leaps, but it's because the extra power is all going towards 4K output.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #5880
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Been playing the PC release of Uncharted 4 and I quite like it. My FPS is a solid 70+ with a 2080 in 1440p. Mouse controls are quite good, I almost never ran into a situation where I felt the mouse or camera was causing me a problem.

It has some amazing views for being 6 years old.

Probably my only complaint is things felt a little too straight forward.. the puzzles or the path to take to progress through the area felt pretty linear.. the next handhold or rope swing was obvious. So the gameplay loop gets a bit stale but the story is nice.

Looking forward to the release of the other ones, I don't think I ever played Uncharted 3, or if I did I never finished it.
I'd kill to have the whole series on PC. 2 is one of my favourite games of all time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote