Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #4801
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Just finished Disco Elysium yesterday. Gotta say, that's probably the best $22 I've ever spent.
More like $80 in my case… I’ve gifted it to three people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #4802
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I really enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy as well. My only issue with it is the game was far too short and there is not a ton of reason to replay and no DLC on the horizon.

Glad I waited until Black Friday and got it for $40 because it is great value at that price. $80 will leave the gamer wanting more.
Yeah I didn't know much about it so I was expecting something more like the Batman games, so it was a bit jarring at first.

Ended up really liking it though the gameplay was getting a bit repetitive. So on one hand as you say it does feel too short, but on the other hand I'd like to see more variety if it was longer.

At least it was longer than Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War's single player campaign.. man that's the biggest rip off I've had in a long time.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #4803
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really want to start playing the new Halo Infinite but I'm having so much fun with Forza Horizon 5. What a fantastic racing game especially on the Series X. Probably got about 50 hours in and their is still a ton of stuff I haven't done yet.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 09:30 AM   #4804
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm holding off on starting Halo Infinite until couch co-op for the campaign arrives in the spring 2022, allegedly (my wife and I have played every Halo together except for Halo 5).

We played and finished It Takes Two, and that was an absolutely fantastic game. You can play it alone, but I would strongly recommend playing with a friend or significant other, as the teamwork aspect of the game is really what makes the experience.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:43 PM   #4805
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Usually, we have our game of the year thread by now but I don't know about you guys, this year I just can't be bothered. There were definitely games I liked but nothing I played screamed GOTY quality to me.

I guess Halo? Never got into the series myself but people that did seem to really like this iteration
I think there was plenty of GOTY quality titles released this year! Maybe you need to broaden your horizons...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #4806
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I think there was plenty of GOTY quality titles released this year! Maybe you need to broaden your horizons...
Can you share some of the games you’re talking about? I spent most of the year catching up on my backlog so I’m having a hard time even coming up with five.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:15 PM   #4807
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Throw out some examples? I'm curious if I just missed something
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:21 PM   #4808
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
RE: Village
Deathloop
Returnal
It takes two
Deaths door
Metroid Dread
Psychonauts 2
Hitmen 3
Tales of Arise

To name some
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #4809
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Literally nothing on that list appeals to me… i guess forza if I had a really baller racing sim setup.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #4810
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of those are fine but hardly GOTY quality. Halo being the only one that stands out, like I already said, even though it doesn't appeal to me personally at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Literally nothing on that list appeals to me… i guess forza if I had a really baller racing sim setup.
No trust me you don't want that for Forza Horizon. It's a very arcadey game and feels just awful with an actual wheel, it was designed to be played with a controller and it shows

Last edited by btimbit; 12-31-2021 at 02:31 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #4811
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Some of those are fine but hardly GOTY quality. Halo being the only one that stands out, like I already said, even though it doesn't appeal to me personally at all

No trust me you don't want that for Forza Horizon. It's a very arcadey game and feels just awful with an actual wheel, it was designed to be played with a controller and it shows
To be GOTY.... You literally have to be the best game of the year it came out lol....wtf you talking about quality.

Halo Infinite is by far and away the GOTY but it personally doesn't appeal to you.

I hated Returnal but it's a solid game.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #4812
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

GOTY quality being a game that you'll remember and return to years later. I enjoyed a few games on that list, like Hitman 3 and Forza, but they're extremely meh on the grand scale of things
Old 12-31-2021, 02:38 PM   #4813
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have never enjoyed turn based Strategy games... But guess what I did? I got XCOM and XCOM2 to try them cause they are good rated games. Guess what happened? I enjoyed playing them.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:39 PM   #4814
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's great, those are very good games. Still not sure what your point is (or why you jump down my throat literally any time I say I don't like something in this thread)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #4815
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Forza Horizon doesn’t need a sim setup. Some people have even said it’s better with a controller, especially for drifting. It’s an arcade racer with tons of different mini games and challenges. I’ve played the hell out of it and loved almost every second. They still need to fix a few things but the playability is already nearly endless.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #4816
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
GOTY quality being a game that you'll remember and return to years later. I enjoyed a few games on that list, like Hitman 3 and Forza, but they're extremely meh on the grand scale of things
Your definition of GOTY then is flawed. An all time great didn't have to come out every year.

But don't worry, next year by your definition there will be multiple GOTYs

Horizon
GoW

However there can only be one GOTY.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-31-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:42 PM   #4817
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
RE: Village
Deathloop
Returnal
It takes two
Deaths door
Metroid Dread
Psychonauts 2
Hitmen 3
Tales of Arise

To name some
I’ve played the top two. The rest either don’t look like my style or can’t be played because I don’t have a PS5. I do plan to try Metroid Dread soon.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #4818
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's great, those are very good games. Still not sure what your point is (or why you jump down my throat literally any time I say I don't like something in this thread)
I guess I just need to take a step back and realize that people have widely different definitions for something that comes across as pretty simple to understand.

Maybe it's easier just to ask, what game did you play this year that was also released this year that you hated the least?

And my point is maybe try playing one of the highly rated games that came out this year even if it isn't your bag and you just might like it.

Last edited by Since1984; 12-31-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #4819
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Forza Horizon doesn’t need a sim setup. Some people have even said it’s better with a controller, especially for drifting. It’s an arcade racer with tons of different mini games and challenges. I’ve played the hell out of it and loved almost every second. They still need to fix a few things but the playability is already nearly endless.
Ok, well I stand corrected on that then, but that actually probably means nothing on the list appeals because I don’t really like racing games very much unless it actually feels like driving. I’ve tried in the past and it just doesn’t reward me. It’s like ok, I won a race… so what. I’m not sure why I can suspend the sense of pointlessness for other games but not racing. Maybe it’s because I drive in real life but don’t typically fight many dragons? Not sure.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #4820
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I guess I just need to take a step back and realize that people have widely different definitions for something that Congress across as pretty simple to understand.

Maybe it's easier just to ask, what game did you play this year that was also released this year that you hated the least?
I would say Hitman 3, but since I already used the term 'meh' to describe it I feel that should disqualify it lol.

It's not easy, because pretty much everything in the gaming industry is just more copy and paste, design by committee, bland nonsense with no vision. The two games I've played the most aren't even technically out yet so I really can't count them. So unless I just go by your standard and just say 'well this game sucked, but everything else sucked more so here's your champion!' this is hard

So I guess I have to say my Game of the Year is F1 2021, which feels like a bad choice since it's a yearly sports game, but it's easily the game that was released in 2021 that I have the most hours in

Last edited by btimbit; 12-31-2021 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: