Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #7601
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

These are allot of low ball offers in the Flames advantage.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #7602
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am the GM, Fox is who I am dangling.

But Fox alone doesn't bring back Galchenyuk.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #7603
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather just hold on to Fox. I'm not sure why people keep wanting to trade him.

For that matter, I'd rather just hold on to all of Fox / Andersson / Kylington / Valimaki and see if there's a way to upgrade our winger situation by moving Brodie or Stone perhaps. We finally have depth in our cupboards after many years and now we want to deplete it already?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #7604
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
These are allot of low ball offers in the Flames advantage.
that is how this works, no?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #7605
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'd rather just hold on to Fox. I'm not sure why people keep wanting to trade him.

For that matter, I'd rather just hold on to all of Fox / Andersson / Kylington / Valimaki and see if there's a way to upgrade our winger situation by moving Brodie or Stone perhaps. We finally have depth in our cupboards after many years and now we want to deplete it already?
Depleting the NHL roster while battling for a playoff spot doesn't really seem to make an awful lot of sense.

I don't think that there is room for all of Fox, Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki in the next year or two. So in my eyes, it makes sense to trade 1 or 2 of them to add a significant upgrade to our forward ranks.

I'd be happy to see one or two of those players dealt if it meant bringing in an age appropriate player that could contribute in a significant way for the next few years. Mike Hoffman, Alex Galchenyuk, and Max Pacioretty all fit that bill in my eyes - and I hope we end up with one of them. Not only would the addition of one of those players be an instant upgrade to our ranks, but I think they'd also help Bennett and Jankowski develop, which is a worthwhile investment.

I'm not saying shove them out the door because we have too many prospects at that position - but I think they all hold significant trade value, and could be used to "complete" the roster for the next few years.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #7606
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't want to trade anyone either. But we could use another scoring winger, and if the right deal came along, you have to give up something.

My view on Fox is:

1) currently popular, and had a great year last year - stock is high. He, Dube, Valimaki and Parsons are probably the most valuable trading chips we have outside of the roster right now. And of the 4, I would be least upset losing Fox.
2) not real big - I know a lot of smaller Dmen have made the jump recently, but it's still a thing
3) he is a possible flight risk. Harvard students tend to do their 4 years. If he does, waiting a couple more months until August, in order to become a complete free agent, is a pretty easy step for an American.
4) I think Valimaki is a better all around defenseman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #7607
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox is such a question mark for my that if there's a good trade I don't mind letting him go. I admit he's succeeded at every level he's been in, but I just don't have a great feel for NCAA, plus he's so undersized. HI get that more top defencemen are coming from NCAA now, but I am still uncomfortable because of the short seasons, etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #7608
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames would be making a big mistake by trading Fox right now. I think he's gonna be a star.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #7609
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Trading a prospect for some immediate help towards a playoff push is not depleting our cupboards, especially when we are loaded at that position. It's called asset management.

There is no guarantee that any of those defenesemen become as good as Brodie. We are more or less in "win now" mode. Trading Brodie for a winger might solve our winger problem, but simultaneously opens a hole that won't be able to be filled by any of those guys for at least 2 seasons.
If management is serious about making some noise in the playoff's, they definitely should be dangling a few of those prospects.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #7610
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Flames would be making a big mistake by trading Fox right now. I think he's gonna be a star.
Still, if a teams willing to part with a steady point producer for a guy like Fox who is easily a 50/50 shot at signing, you do it because you have a player like Galchenyuk locked in for at least 2 more seasons. And a chance to re-sign him before he hits UFA.

Fox is a nice asset, and he does hit the NHL and becomes a good player, at least he's in the east.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #7611
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, why try to win with a good roster with a bunch of good players when you could not win but always have a good player on your team?

If I guaranteed you that Fox would be a Hall of Fame defender who will go down as one of the best american born defensemen to ever play the game, would you trade him to win the cup this year and possibly be a contender for a few more years?

As pointed out by some, management is in win now mode. We have about a 4 year window to capitalize on the contracts we have, as much as having good players in the future is important winning now is more so. The team has been doing fairly well at drafting in the late rounds and finding gems hidden in the draft. If we could turn some of those futures into a better chance to win now I think they have to go for it. I'm not saying trade away everyone but they seem to have a few solid D prospects and they're not guaranteed to be stars at all, so if you can turn one or two of them into help now while the team is going for it, they have to.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #7612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Ya, why try to win with a good roster with a bunch of good players when you could not win but always have a good player on your team?

If I guaranteed you that Fox would be a Hall of Fame defender who will go down as one of the best american born defensemen to ever play the game, would you trade him to win the cup this year and possibly be a contender for a few more years?
AKA the Brett Hull scenario (though whether they don't win the Cup unless they get Ramage and Wamsley is always up for debate).
Old 02-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #7613
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Sig bet? Him against Valimaki?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7614
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sig bet? Him against Valimaki?

The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7615
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that worries me about Fox is the potential that he doesn't sign here and becomes a UFA. If that's the case I think it's a no brainer to trade him. That's a big if though. If Fox is willing to sign here he's the last guy I'd trade from the farm.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #7616
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Fox is such a question mark for my that if there's a good trade I don't mind letting him go. I admit he's succeeded at every level he's been in, but I just don't have a great feel for NCAA, plus he's so undersized. HI get that more top defencemen are coming from NCAA now, but I am still uncomfortable because of the short seasons, etc.
I think the flames will have a pretty good read on his intention to play here. As with Janko, I'm sure that the local scouts for the flames have had plenty of face time with him, and he's been at camps, ect. If they think they have anything less then an 90% chance of not being able to sign him after year 4 at Harvard, he is the first piece that we should trade. Kylington is the other defender with some value I wouldn't be sad to see go.

But I don't think we should be hasty to sell these guys. I'd rather see them stand Pat then bend over for TDL rental. I also think the injury to Smith plays a huge roll in that. The only reason you trade the future for the present is if you think you have a shot at a run and you don't want to waste the goal tending your getting from Smith. If Smitty is out, I think you stand Pat and see where the cards fall.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #7617
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
I think the flames will have a pretty good read on his intention to play here. As with Janko, I'm sure that the local scouts for the flames have had plenty of face time with him, and he's been at camps, ect. If they think they have anything less then an 90% chance of not being able to sign him after year 4 at Harvard, he is the first piece that we should trade. Kylington is the other defender with some value I wouldn't be sad to see go.

But I don't think we should be hasty to sell these guys. I'd rather see them stand Pat then bend over for TDL rental. I also think the injury to Smith plays a huge roll in that. The only reason you trade the future for the present is if you think you have a shot at a run and you don't want to waste the goal tending your getting from Smith. If Smitty is out, I think you stand Pat and see where the cards fall.
I wasn't getting at a refusal to sign at all - just my own discomfort an lack of familiarity with college players. And a little concern over a 5'10" defenceman.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #7618
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt the Flames are tracking that closely. The problem with these situations is that the player is never going to say anything negative. So all you can do is remain positive and keep in contact with them.

But... if it goes through the summer of year 3 and they still aren't signed, then the red flags come up and the player's trade value drops significantly.

Really, really difficult thing for a team to manage.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #7619
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
now
Big crowd on scouts' row for Lightning/Leafs. 20 teams with scouts/reps on list tonight: WPG (2), EDM (Chiarelli), DAL, OTT, CAR, PIT, VGK, WAS, CBJ, NYR, STL, COL, MTL, CGY, FLA, ANA, PHI, LA, MIN, AZ
Old 02-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #7620
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Fox signs here and if he doesn’t we have time to trade him somewhere. He would have to go back to college for-going an NHL paycheque for two more years (actually more because we could give him a signing bonus during this season and burn a year). In college he is already one of the best players and he is too old to play world juniors again.

We had a similar situation with Hickey who when he became a legit flight risk we traded him for a star goaltender. That’s literally the worst the Flames have been burned by this “College player going UFA scenario”. Traded one for a significantly better player
Closed Thread