Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #6601
HUSKER4FLAMES
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I know this will be unpopular, but Kassian's loose screw mentality is something this team lacks and could use more of.
His eyes increase the screw loose mentality. Really makes you wonder when, not if, he's gonna snap on you.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #6602
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He could have easily cost them the game if the Flames had any kind of PP
I saw him a lot in the OHL and he literally lost playoff games for the Spitfires with his uncontrolled stupidity. I couldn't believe when he was rated so high going into the draft, he is the dumbest hockey player I have ever seen in my 35 years of watching hockey.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #6603
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don’t believe the Flames are losing games because of grit and am really worried about trading down in talent to get more physical. A better PP changes things immensely.

Now maybe our skill guys aren’t mentally strong enough. That may end up being true but that is a hard fix. Not like we have a surplus of talent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #6604
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Friedman wasn't talking about grit (exactly). He was talking about players that hate to lose and he doesn't think there is enough of that on the Flames.

I agree with him 100%.

Monahan, Backlund, Brodie and Hamilton are all great players. I would be happy to add any o them to my team.

The problem with the Flames is that they have all 4. A 1st line C, a 2nd line C, a top pairing D, and a 2nd pairing D. They also have Gaudreau of course, but EVERY team, regardless of makeup, has room for a player of his caliber.

Oh, and on top of these players and a few others, they also have one of the nicest coaches in the league (which is the biggest problem IMO).

Way too much nice.

We saw it again last night.

Are you trying to say Gaudreau doesn’t hate losing?

I’d out him up as the most competitive player on this roster. Maybe Gio is tied with him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #6605
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 03:24 AM   #6606
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always hated the "players that hate to lose" thing. It's nonsense. They all hate to lose. Just because a guy like Monahan is able to compose himself after a loss doesn't mean he's okay with losing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #6607
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They all hate to lose equally? Not a chance.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #6608
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I've always hated the "players that hate to lose" thing. It's nonsense. They all hate to lose. Just because a guy like Monahan is able to compose himself after a loss doesn't mean he's okay with losing.
Hating to lose is a misleading expression. The type of player they are talking about is that when things are down, he grabs the team by the collar throws them on his back. Whether it's a goal, a big hit, a big play to draw a penalty or a fight. Iggy was like that, Tkatchuck is like that. I believe Gaudreau and Giordano are like that also, although Gaudreau is limited in his ability to impact in hits or fighting.

Monahan is an interesting case study. On one hand he has (had) the killer instinct where when a game is tight he would score that goal. On the other hand he also at times seems to cruise out the game. An extra gear from him when the team is down would go a long way. Sam is similar that way., but I believe more than anything had been neutered as a result of being able to find the fine line between agitation/big hit and taking a penalty.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #6609
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Seeing Johnny lazily saunter off the ice after a shift makes me angry. Then you see Tkatchuk (sp) who is totally gassed after a shift go as hard as he can to get off the ice. Totally different mentality about the game.
Johnny gets fired up sometimes, but we need a pro athlete to be up for every shift.
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #6610
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
They all hate to lose equally? Not a chance.
I would agree, but it's also impossible to measure the degree of hatred towards losing. Certainly cannot be measured by judging posture or facial expressions as seen on TV. A few here seem to use that as their method.
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #6611
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's fairly well known that the scoring wingers available are Kane, Patchoretty, & perhaps Hoffman but is there is another who would be a good fit for the Flames?

I'm wondering if Jeff Skinner might be a player that would catch the Flames attention. Could he be had for Bennett & Gillies, or a similar package (no picks).

Although Skinner has had issues staying healthy, Bennett is having issues establishing himself as a legitimate top 6 forward. Would a solid goaltending prospect enough to entice the Canes?

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuck-Backlund-Brouwer
Skinner-Jankowski-Frolik
Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #6612
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would the Canes trade Skinner? Let alone for unproven assets.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #6613
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Why would the Canes trade Skinner? Let alone for unproven assets.
Fair enough. There may be no interest from the Canes to do so. That said, he's currently playing 3rd line/2nd PP mins.

As a team, they don't seem to be making any notable improvements. 2years ago it would have been entirely reasonable to say Bennett & Gilles were the top two prospects in the Flames system. At some point you would have to think the Flames will be looking to leverage their goaltending depth. Ward is nearing the end of his deal & Darling hasn't performed like theCanes would have hoped.

I'm just wondering if the Flames would have interest in Skinner & do they have the assets to pull it off.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #6614
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Fair enough. There may be no interest from the Canes to do so. That said, he's currently playing 3rd line/2nd PP mins.

As a team, they don't seem to be making any notable improvements. 2years ago it would have been entirely reasonable to say Bennett & Gilles were the top two prospects in the Flames system.
They need an upgrade in goaltending but a more proven one. Also Skinner had 37g last season and on pace for almost 30 again this season at only 25 years old. He's be a great add I'm just not sure that gets it done and Bennett's value is rock bottom right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #6615
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
They need an upgrade in goaltending but a more proven one. Also Skinner had 37g last season and on pace for almost 30 again this season at only 25 years old.
Agreed.

Seems like Skinner would be the type of winger that could really add some scoring depth to the Flames line up & at the right age to fit in with the current group.....just throwing it out there.

I could be mistaken, but I thought his name was put there in some rumours before last season.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #6616
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, Bennett has been pretty useless scorig wise for 25 of the 45 games the team has played, but moving on from him now would just be Byron all over again. He's shooting at a measly 6.1% and his line is shooting at only 6.5%, and yet he's only 1 point behind Backlund and 2 behind Tkachuk in 5v5 scoring.

Bennett is the best or 2nd best forward this year in terms of shot generation and scoring chance generation and by every metric he is more than keeping up with the rest of the top 6. I know he's not the best shooter and so he'll probably never have a 12+% shooting season, but players of his caliber should be at around 9-10%.

Compared to the late 1st that Bennett would be lucky to get you right now, I'd rather keep him all day long. On top of that, I don't think that there is anyone ahead of him in points/60 that would be worth the cost of acquisition using Bennett as the main piece.

Unless you're Gaudreau or you play with him, your stats are going to look bad in GG's system. Just wait for the playoffs, where Bennett will be a top 3 forward for the Flames for the 3rd time.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #6617
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Derek Wills brought up Gallagher. He would be the perfect player for this team. Locked up, still young, has that unrelenting energy. You may even say, he hates to lose!
Plus he can score goals.

Now, I just don't see the return being anything other than untenable. The question I have is, what would you give up? Would you do the 2019 1st in a package knowing that you can recoup that in a Brodie deal in the offseason? Does MTL have any interest in Brodie himself? Would you offer up 1 or 2 of our top prospects (Fox, Dube, Andersson, Kylington, Gillies)? Would you go further than that and offer up Valimaki or Parsons?

I would do Brodie + Gillies

Or, assuming Montreal doesn't want Brodie (their LD looks pretty set and I don't think they want to block Mette)

2019 1st, Dube, Gillies

But with that offer would need to be organizational direction to trade Brodie and possibly even Stone to recoup some draft picks in the offseason. I think you could drum up a similar bidding war for Brodie as was done for Hamonic last draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #6618
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Gallagher is the only player on the Habs that interests me. If he could be had for Brodie and Gillies, you do that deal in a heartbeat. I would even be willing to throw the rights to fox or Kylington into the mix as well.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #6619
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

They would ask for Bennett or Jankowski as the main piece coming back. That, or Dube+. I don’t really want to trade wither one of those, but Gallagher would definitely be a solid 2nd line option.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #6620
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
. I know he's not the best shooter and so he'll probably never have a 12+% shooting season, but players of his caliber should be at around 9-10%.

Bennett shot 13.3% his rookie year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Closed Thread