Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #5541
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Seriously.....who said ANY of this?

Furthermore, what does it add to the discussion that is actually occurring?

Wow.
About as much as

Quote:
To illustrate how bad Bennetts production offensively has been this season...Pacioretty is clippin along about 66% of his normal output and is still squashing Sam's numbers at this point.
without any context around Sam Bennett's season (and last season).

We can move on, because yeah - I was just being a dink - but it was only in an effort to push back on the negative picture you were trying to paint of a 21 year old in favour of a 29 year old.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #5542
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

More than anything if we can off-load a bit of dead wood that subtraction would be an addition. We see what a little bit of youth and speed can do to our overall play. More of that.

The structure of our team is pretty good - no big holes, especially with Ferland performing. I feel like we should just see where this group can take us. If they gel and overcome some weird problems like the anemic powerplay, they should be a very good team, I feel.

Next year, we have some pieces that should be able to come up - like Dube and Andersson.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #5543
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
We’ll see if the Flyers try to offer sheet Bennett like they did for Kesler. I can see the comparison. I wouldn’t trade Bennett. I think he’s got no to mature into a great player for the Flames
If they do i hope its for the Max lol that way we get there first round picks but i dont think any one will offer sheet him.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #5544
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
More than anything if we can off-load a bit of dead wood that subtraction would be an addition. We see what a little bit of youth and speed can do to our overall play. More of that.

The structure of our team is pretty good - no big holes, especially with Ferland performing. I feel like we should just see where this group can take us. If they gel and overcome some weird problems like the anemic powerplay, they should be a very good team, I feel.

Next year, we have some pieces that should be able to come up - like Dube and Andersson.
Dube isnt close to being an nhl player. He needs to develope in the ahl.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #5545
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post

Really not sure how you say this so concretely. He was one of the last cuts in camp and looked very good playing with and against NHL players in pre-season.

He's a smart player. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he pushed for a spot next training camp.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #5546
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Im not saying anything other than how poor Sams production has been this year. Pacioretty has been extremely poor by his own standards, yet still is way ahead of Bennett. SB isnt being "penalized" for anything, its just the facts at this point. Nothing more and nothing less.
Bennett has 15 ES points this season and Pacioretty has 14, but Pacioretty has played 100 more minutes at Even Strength.

Pacioretty has played 126 minutes on the PP, Bennett has played 49, so really the difference in their production has just been the difference in ice time / utilization.

Pacioretty is the much better player looking at past seasons - but it's closer than it first appears this season, and Pacioretty is getting pretty close to 30.

Considering how much you probably have to add to Bennett to make that deal it's probably not a good one for the Flames.

It's kind of funny too - Bennett is getting a lot of flak for his season but he has the same number of ES points as TJ Oshie, Wayne Simmonds, Logan Couture, & Jake Guentzel but his 1 PP point is what is much less than the comparables.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-11-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #5547
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
While talking about Hoffman, Dreger says it doesn't seem like the Flames have an appetite to add a whole bunch
https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-...-trade-market/
Burke said the same thing yesterday...although what do you expect them to say

"we are so desperate to add we will give you almost anything"
Old 01-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #5548
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. Hockey IQ is a phrase that is terribly overused these days, but if you want to apply it to any Flames prospect, Dube is your man.

Very smart player. Tireless worker. Very responsible defensively.

I would not be the least bit surprised if he makes the team next year. In fact I would be more surprised if he doesn't.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #5549
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Bennett has 15 ES points this season and Pacioretty has 14, but Pacioretty has played 100 more minutes at Even Strength.

Pacioretty has played 126 minutes on the PP, Bennett has played 49, so really the difference in their production has just been the difference in ice time / utilization.

Pacioretty is the much better player looking at past seasons - but it's closer than it first appears this season, and Pacioretty is getting pretty close to 30.

Considering how much you probably have to add to Bennett to make that deal it's probably not a good one for the Flames.

It's kind of funny too - Bennett is getting a lot of flak for his season but he has the same number of ES points as TJ Oshie, Wayne Simmonds, Logan Couture, & Jake Guentzel but his 1 PP point is what is much less than the comparables.
What deal??

I am not and have not said anything about trading Sam Bennett. To anywhere..for anyone.

I am comparing him to Max Pacioretty in regards to how snakebitten BOTH players are and that adding one to a team that already suffers from that malady does not make a lot of sense.

I feel like I am in bizzaro world here.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #5550
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What deal??

I am not and have not said anything about trading Sam Bennett. To anywhere..for anyone.

I am comparing him to Max Pacioretty in regards to how snakebitten BOTH players are and that adding one to a team that already suffers from that malady does not make a lot of sense.

I feel like I am in bizzaro world here.
Sorry used your quote since you mentioned Pacioretty being way ahead of Bennett (other posters mentioned it too) but was more just commenting in regards to other posts suggesting a Pacioretty for Bennett.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #5551
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

On Twitter, Kent Wilson speculated that a player being underused who seems to have a rift with his coach that could be a potential trade target was Rangers RW Pavel Buchnevik. Has 21 points on the year while only seeing 11-12 min a night and even being a healthy scratch. I think he’d be too expensive but he’d be an awesome get. Rangers fans seem to think the guy is the among the best players in the NHL based on what they think a trade should look like. Among the replies I saw seperate posters say that a trade would have to start with Monahan, or Gaudreau or Tkachuk+. Another trade proposal I saw was Buchnevik and Holden for Hamilton and a high pick. Suffice it to say, if Buchnevik were to get moved Rangers fans will be MIGHTILY disappointed in the return.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #5552
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loubo said on the radio yesterday that he would be surprised if Dube isn't in the NHL within the next two years. He alluded that Dube could very well be on the Flames next year.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #5553
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Loubo said on the radio yesterday that he would be surprised if Dube isn't in the NHL within the next two years. He alluded that Dube could very well be on the Flames next year.
Lots of higher end players couldn't play fourth line, but Dube would be pretty good there as a C. Mangiapane Dube and Hathaway or someone else if Hathaway is still a third liner is a good fourth line.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #5554
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wrong thread
Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #5555
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really the point of the thread, but playing around a little.

How fun would this be next season?

Tkachuk (0.925) - Tavares (9.500) - Bennett (1.950)
Gaudreau (6.750) - Monahan - (6.750) - Ferland (1.750)
Jankowski (1.500) - Backlund (5.500) - Frolik (4.300)
Mangiapane (0.705) - Dube (0.792) - Hathaway (0.900)

Lazar (0.950), Hrivic (0.700)

Giordano (6.750) - Hamilton (5.750)
TJ Brodie (4.650) - Hamonic (3.857)
Br. Kulak (0.950) - Stone (3.500)

Wotherspoon (0.750)

Smith (4.250)
Rittich (0.975)

Brouwer bought out, 1.500 cap hit

Cap $80,000,000
Hit $76,434,210
Space $3,565,790

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #5556
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ What's nice about not having two players with a cap hit of $21m...
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #5557
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not really the point of the thread, but playing around a little.

How fun would this be next season?

Tkachuk (0.925) - Tavares (9.500) - Bennett (1.950)
Gaudreau (6.750) - Monahan - (6.750) - Ferland (1.750)
Jankowski (1.500) - Backlund (5.500) - Frolik (4.300)
Mangiapane (0.705) - Dube (0.792) - Hathaway (0.900)

Lazar (0.950), Hrivic (0.700)

Giordano (6.750) - Hamilton (5.750)
TJ Brodie (4.650) - Hamonic (3.857)
Br. Kulak (0.950) - Stone (3.500)

Wotherspoon (0.750)

Smith (4.250)
Rittich (0.975)

Brouwer bought out, 1.500 cap hit

Cap $80,000,000
Hit $76,434,210
Space $3,565,790

Looks pretty for a season but leaves you in a pretty tough spot year after with Tkachuk and Ferland both needing new deals (Ferland likely walks). If Tavares was in play (highly unlikely but fun to think about) I think it definitely means Backlund would be out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #5558
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Looks pretty for a season but leaves you in a pretty tough spot year after with Tkachuk and Ferland both needing new deals (Ferland likely walks). If Tavares was in play (highly unlikely but fun to think about) I think it definitely means Backlund would be out.
Which is when you can potentially bring in a couple entry level contracts on your D - Fox, Valimaki, Andersson, etc.

Salary caps are tough, but when you have a good prospect pool, that's how you can manage.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #5559
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah one year is all you'd get with that roster, then you'd have to trade to free up some cap. Probably a Dman, like Stone for starters, Andersson would be ready by then, and guys like that would be easy to move and bring back picks in the off season.

If Rittich/Parsons/Gillies are ready to play the bulk of the games, you'd likely be saving cap on goalies too. Wouldn't be committing $5+ million to that spot for a couple more years most likely.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #5560
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just a note,

Wotherspoon will be a Group 6 UFA on July 1 unless he plays 44 NHL games (playoff or regular) this season.

A Group 6 UFA is defined by the CBA to be a player 25 years or older who has at least 3 pro seasons but less than 80 NHL games played for a skater who becomes UFA at the end of the contract.

There are only 39 regular season games left. Which means even if they called him up and started playing him tomorrow til the end of the season, he would still need to play at least 5 playoff games.

Obviously there are only a maximum of 28 potential playoff games for any playoff team.

It is not looking likely that he will hit the 80 games played mark.

The Flames could avoid UFA by re-signing him before July 1st, but IMO he likely looks for another organization.
Closed Thread