Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #341
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Who ever thought up the name Snoke needs to be shaken.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:13 PM   #342
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
My overall thoughts:

I'm still not sure how I feel about it
Rey learning to use the Force so quickly. This seems like something they'll explain later, which I don't really care for, but I would have liked some indication she could do things without understanding it was, then when learning that Luke and the Jedi and all that were real it clicked. Now with my assumption that she's Luke's daughter and he presumably had the connection with her, then it makes sense that it triggered something. But I don't like how there was no learning experience or realization moment. It just went from 'the force is real' to 'I can use this pretty well' without any step in between.

But yeah, a solid Star Wars movie and a solid movie in general. JJ did good.
I'm actually quite okay with her kinda knowing how to use the Force. I'm in no way a big Star Wars fan, but I know that the force lets you use Jedi mind tricks and be badass with a light saber. We've known this for 30+ years. SW universe residents have known this longer. Proof being that Rey is what... maybe 20 years old? And she's heard the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han.

If I ever came to the sudden realization that I had the force, hell yeah I'd be trying to use it to mess with people's minds
Old 12-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #343
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Bad movie. I am very disappointed. In many ways, worse than the prequels, which at least tried to set off on their own and attempt something new. Typical Abrams style. Lots of very sexy battle scenes filled with fanboy dialogue - exactly what made the Star Trek movies so awful. It will be very hard for the remainder of the trilogy to come back from this formula.
I don't feel the movie was as bad as it came across for you but I was disappointed. I was expecting familiar but new and instead got a near straight up remake. Maybe I should have but didn't expect the vitriol from some people when you point out flaws and don't consider the movie some kind of masterpiece.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #344
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't feel the movie was as bad as it came across for you but I was disappointed. I was expecting familiar but new and instead got a near straight up remake. Maybe I should have but didn't expect the vitriol from some people when you point out flaws and don't consider the movie some kind of masterpiece.
Vitriol may be abit strong. Most of the comments against pointing out flaws surround:

A) The original trilogy had similar holes/flaws. If you're going to apply hate to them here, you should apply the same hate to those.
B) There is plenty of time to explain unexplained things in the later movies (Who's Rey? Why could she beat Kylo (even in spite of his lack of experience, strength and health at that point)? What's Finn's background? Who are the Resistance and what type of support do they have?) I mean, arent these questions part of the fun of having a pre-determined series, instead of trying to intertwine a bunch of standalone projects?

The gripes about similarities to A New Hope, I understand (although I also sort of think that was the point), and with Chrome Trooper and all that stuff. But there seems to be a lot of crying over missed plot points/exposition that could still (and likely will) be revealed.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #345
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It will be very hard for the remainder of the trilogy to come back from this formula.
I have a feeling the trilogy will manage just fine without your interest, enthusiasm, or support.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #346
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It was better the second time around. Took the hype away from the viewing experience which actually made it more enjoyable, especially with having a first time viewer there with me.

I realized upon second viewing that the only part that really bothered me was the space battle/sneaking around the base part leading up to the Han scene. It was WAY too rushed and poorly done. Things moved too quickly, Captain Phasma was disposed of in seconds, and there was a massive gap between one x-wing battle scene to the next when it should've been transitioning back and forth every few minutes to maintain the tension of what was going on out there. Instead we catch up with them 20 minutes later and we're like "oh yeah...that's happening". I enjoyed the rest of the movie though. I think Maz is a great character. I heard a lot of Lupita Nyongo's scenes were cut. They should've given her a bit more screen time so we could've learned more about her.

It's also more obvious the second time around that Rey is Luke's daughter. Fun fact - the voice in her vision talking to her is a combination of Ewan McGregor and Alec Guinness. And apparently you can hear Yoda too.

I still don't get why Rey and Leia were hugging over Han when they hadn't crossed paths until that point in the film. Did they secretly know that they were aunt/niece? And there was some force bonding going on? It was a weird scene but it doesn't bother me too much.

Last edited by ScorchyScorch; 12-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #347
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched it yesterday. I'm not a Star Wars fan and I thought it was okay. Definitely better than ep 1-3, probably interchangeable from the other three. We will see how the 2nd one fairs.

If they cut the nostalgia parts significantly and focused on the movie aspect itself, it would have made for a better overall movie.

I'll give it 7.5/10, although if I was a star wars fan it would be a 9.5 or 10/10.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #348
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain Phasma being disposed of quickly and off screen was a blessing imo. Totally unnecessary character.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #349
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I think would have made the movie better was them not being able to destroy the planet and having it either fire or malfunction without blowing up. Make it tougher on the characters.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #350
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am sure that the last 75 minutes fo episode 9 will tie up every single loose end into one neat package......
Old 12-21-2015, 12:56 PM   #351
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Seriously, why the hell not?

Go drag your knuckles back to your cave and evolve through an ice age or two...
You're so cool by making this typical PC comment. Like so cool man. So modern. So advanced. Super cool.

The premise of my post was first mentioned by my girlfriend. Yes, a woman. She didn't think Star Wars was going the Hunger Games model, and then just dismissed it as a marketing ploy to get a more female demographic interested in Star Wars. All this time, for the past 35 years, Star Wars has been a male dominated universe so this is a drastic change.

So get off your super cool, modern, advanced, PC high horse.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #352
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I don't get people complaining about Kylo Ren.

IMO, the single best decision this movie made was to have all of the new characters in early stages of their development so we can watch them grow, use their acting skills and really connect with them over this new trilogy.

A master bad guy with no back story, conflict or development would have been terrible. Go see Darth Maul in Ep 1 if that's what you want.
Darth Maul was ####ing bad ass! As a kid, I was scared of him.

Kylo Ren looks like a ##### ass bitch who I would slap around on Friday and twice on Saturday. I went with a group of 6 people and they all felt the same way. What good is a villain if you think you could probably #### kick him. Character development be damned. Cut the emo crap out.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #353
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
You're so cool by making this typical PC comment. Like so cool man. So modern. So advanced. Super cool.

The premise of my post was first mentioned by my girlfriend. Yes, a woman. She didn't think Star Wars was going the Hunger Games model, and then just dismissed it as a marketing ploy to get a more female demographic interested in Star Wars. All this time, for the past 35 years, Star Wars has been a male dominated universe so this is a drastic change.

It's cool, I have black friends.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Bane, Itse, V
Old 12-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #354
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's cool, I have black friends.
I match you a black friend and raise you a gay one.

You still have an ice age to go through.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #355
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I don't get people complaining about Kylo Ren.

IMO, the single best decision this movie made was to have all of the new characters in early stages of their development so we can watch them grow, use their acting skills and really connect with them over this new trilogy.

A master bad guy with no back story, conflict or development would have been terrible. Go see Darth Maul in Ep 1 if that's what you want.
Good point.

Of all the things I picked apart, Kylo Ren's character isn't one of them. It's so refreshing to have an antagonist that is young, still developing as a character and experiencing moral dilemmas. Every Sith (I guess with the exception of prequel Anakin) has come into the story needing little to no development because they have an implied history. This time we actually get to see it unfold. It's all about a new, young generation so it makes a lot of sense actually.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #356
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I match you a black friend and raise you a gay one.
I've got a gay black friend.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #357
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I liked the character progression for Kylo Ren.

I kind of think of it as Episode 3 Anakin being put into Episode 4 and then following the character progression to the point where he actually just kills Luke.

The showed you how powerful he could be when he was focused and fully harnessing the dark side, but also showed his vulnerabilities and weaknesses.

I think we see a much darker, and much more powerful Kylo Ren in Episode 8.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #358
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It looks like they're setting it up so that Kylo Ren and Rey are both going to be training in Episode 8. That could be an interesting dynamic.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #359
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I liked the character progression for Kylo Ren.

I kind of think of it as Episode 3 Anakin being put into Episode 4 and then following the character progression to the point where he actually just kills Luke.

The showed you how powerful he could be when he was focused and fully harnessing the dark side, but also showed his vulnerabilities and weaknesses.

I think we see a much darker, and much more powerful Kylo Ren in Episode 8.
Kylo Ren in the opening scene of the movie was at his best and I was like "wow"....this guy is awesome.....and then it slowly went downhill the rest of the way.

When he force stopped the blaster.....that was one of the coolest things I've seen in my life.

Last edited by robaur; 12-21-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #360
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't get how you can argue it was male dominated universe. Outside of the Jabba Leia scenes Leia was always a warrior princess rather than a damsel and even in the Jabba scenes she kills him. Sure its got the male fantasy elements of the portrayal but Leia was never a sleeping beauty waiting to be rescued.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: