Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #5781
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Given the price of games now if they don't receive near unanimous positive ratings it's usually best to just wait until they hit Game Pass. I have played a quite a few games on Game Pass that I enjoyed but was glad I didn't pay $60-80 on. This game does look interesting but given it's hovering around the low 70's on metacritic sounds pretty average. I will say that the user scores are very high (over 9) on all platforms so maybe this is one the critics got wrong like Days Gone.
Yep, pretty well the only stuff I drop full price on nowadays is Nintendo releases (which will only go on sale years later and hold their value extremely well) or big franchise release stuff I can’t miss (God of War, FFXVI, that kinda stuff). Everything else drops in price so fast or ends up on a subscription so it isn’t worth it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #5782
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Maybe I've just gotten old, but I went from lapping up every Zelda game with crazed, line-up-at-Zellers-at-2AM-enthuiasm to being profoundly disappointed with BOTW. But I think the beginning of my declining interest began with Skyward Sword (at least I finished that one). And yet I recall the near universal praise for BOTW, so I came to think it was just me.

I hope Tears of the Kingdom pulls me back in.

The last two 2D games--A Link Between Worlds and Link's Awakening--were both solid 9-10/10s for me.

No, you're not the only one. I bought BOTW with my Switch but it bored me to tears. I gave it two 10 hours tries each and it just never caught my interest as a Zelda game. Felt more like Witcher/Skyrim which is not my type of game.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #5783
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't paid full price for a game since the PS5 launched, but I am 100% taking a day off work to play God of War on release day.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2022, 07:33 AM   #5784
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I haven't paid full price for a game since the PS5 launched, but I am 100% taking a day off work to play God of War on release day.
Another game I have started multiple times, got side tracked, and never finished. I will finish it before Ragnarok as its a brilliant game from what I have played.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:43 PM   #5785
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
as for my fight to get a PS5, I hope my wait is coming to an end. There was a drop at Amazon Germany today, and even though I was ready (thanks to an alert app), I couldn't get one. But Amazon UK had a drop a bit later and I was able to snatch one ... and even with import fees, that one is actually a bit cheaper than the one from Germany. So if all goes well with the import stuff (and I've done this a few times before, there should be no issues), I should finally have one next week or so. Fingers crossed.
Nice, hope you get it! As someone who basically gave up on it and was content with PS4 for the forseable future but completely fluked out in the spring and found a PS5, it's definitely worth it (given you have a 4K or higher TV).

Maybe it's recency bias, but I feel like the jump from PS4 to PS5 was bigger than the jump from PS3 to PS4. I wasn't expecting that.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:37 AM   #5786
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Nice, hope you get it! As someone who basically gave up on it and was content with PS4 for the forseable future but completely fluked out in the spring and found a PS5, it's definitely worth it (given you have a 4K or higher TV).

Maybe it's recency bias, but I feel like the jump from PS4 to PS5 was bigger than the jump from PS3 to PS4. I wasn't expecting that.
The funny thing is, I actually had the PS5 in mind when I bought a new TV last year and made sure it had HDMI 2.1 and all that stuff, just to be sure. But as for the actual console, I thought I'd wait until things calmed down ... I was also still happy with my PS4, plus I just didn't envision the market still being this ####ed in the fall of 2022. I don't know about other countries, but at least in Germany and Austria there's still so many people looking and therefore, still a lot of scalpers offering them for ridiculous money on eBay and such. When I ordered mine on Wednesday, Amazon UK had it up for sale for hours though and it was no hassle at all, so maybe their market is way more saturated already (or their supply is simply higher, no idea). Either way, I'm glad when mine arrives and I don't have to jump through hoops any more to get my hands on a freaking gaming console that was released in 2020. Eager to jump into it and see for myself just how big the jump from the PS4 really is.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #5787
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, glad you found one! I find it's most notable when I play a cross-Gen game I own for both. I re-started Ghost of Tsushima late on PS4, then continued it on PS5. Such a noticeable jump.

And not to keep spamming about Assassin's Creed, but they had what I felt was a pretty substantial press conference this week about their new games that I thought was interesting. Basically, they're taking the series in multiple different directions, knowing that many prefer this new RPG style, more action/combat style game they've been doing since Origins.

Meanwhile, knowing many people miss the original version of Assassin's Creed (AC1 - Syndicate), they will be producing games in this style as well. More of a focus on stealth and parkour, without all the RPG stuff. This is what Assassin's Creed Mirage is going to be, with the setting in Baghdad, Iraq during the Islamic Golden Age. While Assassin's Creed Red, taking place in Japan (exact time period not yet released), will be in the more recent RPG style, and developed by the same team that made Odyssey. They're basically trying to keep both types of players happy.

Seems pretty ambitious, and knowing how overly ambitious games like AC3 and Unity went, I could potentially see this blowing up in their faces. But I like the intent anyway, hopefully it works out.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #5788
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate saying this, as I dislike the model of automatically charging $80 for a new game no matter how small it may be so I appreciate Ubi not doing that here, but I just noticed Assassin's Creed Mirage will only cost $50 and its got me thinking it won't be the size of a proper new release now, which is limiting my hype a bit. I hear it originally was only going to be a Valhalla DLC, so I suppose that makes sense.

Either way, it doesn't sound like it'll be a proper full AC title in the way we're used to.
I'm still slogging through AC Valhalla. It's the longest game I've ever played.

I got it on sale for like $32, so the entertainment dollars per hour have been excellent value so far.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 10:07 AM   #5789
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I felt this exact same way. I started Valhalla on PS4 and then switched to PS5 and the difference was mind blowing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #5790
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone tried Metal: Hellsinger? Just released yesterday and free on GamePass. It's a must play if you are a heavy metal fan as it's a Doom based shooter that places emphasis attacking to the beat of the song. It took me a while to get adjusted to it but the integration of music and game is pretty fun and the music is top notch.

List of songs and singers:

Quote:
The Hellsinger – Two Feathers
Through You – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
This is the End – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
Blood and Law – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
Stygia – Two Feathers ft. Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy)
Internal Invocation I: Hopes and Fears – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
Burial at Night – Two Feathers ft. Tatiana Shmayluk (Jinjer)
Internal Invocation II: Defiance – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
This Devastation – Two Feathers ft. Matt Heafy (Trivium)
Internal Invocation III: Dreaming in Distortion – Two Feathers ft. Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquility)
Poetry of Cinder – Two Feathers ft. James Forton (Black Crown Initiate)
Dissolution – Two Feathers ft. Björn Strid (Soilwork)
Acheron – Two Feathers ft. Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)
Silent No More – Two Feathers ft. Dennis Lyxzén (Refused and Invsn)
No Tomorrow – Two Feathers ft. Serj Tankian (System of a Down)
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #5791
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Emblem Fancy edition is up:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...641744&irgwc=1
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #5792
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anyone tried Metal: Hellsinger? Just released yesterday and free on GamePass. It's a must play if you are a heavy metal fan as it's a Doom based shooter that places emphasis attacking to the beat of the song. It took me a while to get adjusted to it but the integration of music and game is pretty fun and the music is top notch.

List of songs and singers:
I played it for about 5 mins before bed last night and can't wait to rip into this one. Definitely reminded me of Doom and the hard metal music in that game.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #5793
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hell yes! Probably my favourite RPG's outside of Final Fantasy series and Xenogears.

BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 12:00 PM   #5794
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't think I ever played the Suikodens despite hammering everything else in that genre including Mystic Quest lol.

Was it the game with like 100 playable characters?
Old 09-19-2022, 12:04 PM   #5795
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised nobody here has mentioned the GTA 6 leaks yet. Pretty massive leak including early development videos, source code and information regarding the setting and (one of?) the protagonist. Rockstar has confirmed it's legit, but they say it won't impact the game's development.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1571849091860029455
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #5796
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can do without the leaks. Happy to wait for the full released product or slice made by the developers themselves.

Nevermind the usual gross internet discussion, the leaker trying to blackmail Rockstar, etc.

Last edited by chemgear; 09-19-2022 at 12:30 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:39 PM   #5797
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I just read about it this morning, was out of town for a wedding over the weekend. When I checked here to read more about it I was surprised there was no mention of it either, but I suppose that's what happens when news like this breaks over the weekend.

Sounds like it's modern day Vice City and a female character. At least it's good to hear this game is well into development, I really hope this leak doesn't cause further delays (though I bet it will).
Old 09-19-2022, 02:01 PM   #5798
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

This was the first thing I wanted to do in Minecraft when I learned about Redstone. Minecraft running on a Redstone computer inside Minecraft.

On a vanilla server it'd be one frame every few days, but they get 0.1 fps on a special server that accelerates Redstone stuff by 10,000x.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #5799
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw one of the GTA 6 leaked videos a few days ago. I don't like leaks either but the game is going to look a lot better than that on release so it didn't bother me too much. And it was inside of a restaurant so not much was shown.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:59 PM   #5800
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Man I don't even need to get the game, I could just sit here and listen to this looping.